What my Dad told me!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
My dad was a man of few words. He called them the way he saw them. Listed below are a situation and my Dad's commet in Quotes.
I was having a father & son type discussion when I asked my father's opinion. He said," If you don't ask, the answer's no." I found out later that this applies to other things like getting a raise at work!
I was asking my dad about a gift for a girlfriend. He related an old saying." It's not what you give, but what you share, for the gift without the giver is bare."
I was trying to nail something with a hand full of nails. My father said," Don't hold anything in your hands you don't have to when you are trying to do something." It worked out better one nail at a time.
There was this big bully at school who was on my case for some unknown reason. I asked my fathers if I would be a coward if I ran. He said," He who hits and runs away, will live to fight another day."
If I remember any others I will tack them on later.
When talking about what people think of you. He said," Your reputation precedes you." When we were looking at cars and the salesman showed us his best. My dad pulled me aside and said. " Never take the forced card." For those of you that have never dabbled in magic, the forced card is the card sticking out of a fanned deck just a little bit further than the rest. Most people will pick it because it is the easiest to take.
Please add yours on now!

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
At around 9 or 10 years old, in response to "How does this work ?": "Let's take it apart and see".

At 15: "If you want to be driving this when you turn 16, you'd best have the engine rebuilt by then. Tools are there. Manual is here. If you need help, let me know."

Around 18 or so: "Get along with everyone - you never know who your next boss is gonna be"

At 45, in response to "You know, it's getting to the point where just collapsing in bed at the end of the day is almost better than sex. What's it like at your age ?": "It IS better." (Dad's 29 years older than me)

His approach to things fostered a solid "can do" or, "what one man can do, so too can another learn to do" attitude.

Dad, who will be 80 next month, was diagnosed with Parkinson's last year, and it's starting to take its toll on him.

Thanks for giving me pause to stop and think about some of these things :)

Diggem'

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I turned 18, "You're a man now. If you ever end up in jail, call a lawyer, don't call me!"
When I got married, "Twenty-three years you've been hanging around me and your mom, guess you didn't learn a thing?"
When I got divorced, "Too bad, she was a nice girl. Probably would have just kept dating you all these years for half that much?"
When I got married the second time, "Hu.......?"
When I got divorced the second time, "I see a bright future for you on the Jerry Springer show."
But the most important thing my father told me, "Even when it's bad, try to find something to laugh about." :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread