Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Anyone ever take a drum sander to a patio deck

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    This aint no damn flea circus!!!

Mar 2006
    Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Eastern Idaho!
    Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
    11 times

Re: Anyone ever take a drum sander to a patio deck

Tee...........crank up the air con, make the hubby get you a tall frosty glass of iced tea, kick back in front of the TV in a recliner & wait for 70 degree weather. Take my advice, Im not a doctor but I read a book written by a doctor once. A long time ago.
    "Agitate! Agitate! Ought to be the motto of every reformer. Agitation is the opposite of stagnation...... one is life, the other death."
    -Ernestine L. Rose-

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty AP
    Tee...........crank up the air con, make the hubby get you a tall frosty glass of iced tea, kick back in front of the TV in a recliner & wait for 70 degree weather. Take my advice, Im not a doctor but I read a book written by a doctor once. A long time ago.

Didn't cover decks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3875512435_2a055e1cb4_o.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	422523  
    AARC likes this.

jog
    us
    jog

Nov 2008
    Tillamook Oregon
    Whites MXT / GMT
    660 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Be carefull with the pressure washer when cleaning natural wood, you can destroy the grain if you get to close. Makes for a lot more work later on and looks like crap.
    Oregon Viking likes this.
    Those Who Say It Can't Be Done Shouldn't Interupt Those That Are Doing It.

us
    May 2009
    central, Illinois
    white's spectrum VX3
    4 times

instead of a drum sander they rent a big push sanders that planes it off even. a drum sander is horrible. it only cost about 35 a day + belts to rent but well worth it.
    TRADER OF TREASURES

us
    Mar 2010
    Denver, Colorado
    TDI SL, Etrac, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
    33 times
    Metal Detecting

Depending on how the sander goes, you may want to try some deck cleaner. Getting a sander in the tight spots is probably impossible. I used to use a belt sander. There are some cleaners that will also "brighten" the wood to prepare it for finishing. Penofin makes good products. I had mixed Penofin stain with Thompsons water seal 50/50 and the finish lasted a long time. A little touch up every couple of years is all that is needed. Some "deck stains" are just latex based at I think they look awful. The older oil based stains bring out the grain in the wood a lot better and look more natural. Talk to a local hardware store about what they think works.

Is that really you in the avatar?

Felinepeachy

Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker
    That may be ok. Ever think about biting the bullet and painting the deck? Saves a lot of work and expense.
    I was just at Lowes yesterday and they told me you can't paint a deck, that it would peel up yada yada yada,. They said the only thing that would cover it would be solid stain. Can you paint a deck or not? If so, what kind of paint?

us
    Apr 2006
    northeast Wisconsin
    Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
    13 times

Quote Originally Posted by Felinepeachy
    That may be ok. Ever think about biting the bullet and painting the deck? Saves a lot of work and expense.
    I was just at Lowes yesterday and they told me you can't paint a deck, that it would peel up yada yada yada,. They said the only thing that would cover it would be solid stain. Can you paint a deck or not? If so, what kind of paint?
    Eventually, any high solids coating you put on outdoor wood will succumb to weathering. Even the best marine grade spar varnishes and epoxies fail after a few years. Solid, or opaque, stain will weather and fade over time. IMHO the best approach is to use the best penetrating outdoor stain you can get, and plan on re-coating it every few years. That way you protect the wood itself from decay as much as possible.

Diggem'

Yup. The end of a way of life. Too bad. It's a good way. Wagons forward! Yo!

us
    Mar 2008
    southern utah
    White MXT
    2 times

Pressure wash it first, let it dry, hit it with a belt sander. If there are mold spots or stains use a bleach cleaner to bring out the spot. Then u can either use a deck stain or a paint. Kwals makes some very good products that will do a good job. To do it right it is going to take some time but it is not that hard, just remember the knee pads.

stefen

In the last 4 years, I replaced the about 1200 square feet of redwood decking on our mountain home. As with your, ours is subject to rain, snow, ice and extreme sun exposure, in addition to tree sap from the pines and cedars, bird sh1t, and foot traffic.

Power washing by itself can be detrimental if not used properly.

I use TSP (tri-sodium phosphate), a non-foaming detergent that is available in any market or hardware store.

Mix into a bucket of warm water and apply with a stiff brush.

Let it dry and apply a coat of waterproof sealer.

Makes the wood look like new...Works wonders every time.

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2820 times

Whatever you do, at least wear a dust mask. If the wood was treated initially it could contain arsenic or other chemicals. Keep any pets or other humans away during the process. Good luck!
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Quote Originally Posted by stefen
    In the last 4 years, I replaced the about 1200 square feet of redwood decking on our mountain home. As with your, ours is subject to rain, snow, ice and extreme sun exposure, in addition to tree sap from the pines and cedars, bird sh1t, and foot traffic.

Power washing by itself can be detrimental if not used properly.

I use TSP (tri-sodium phosphate), a non-foaming detergent that is available in any market or hardware store.

Mix into a bucket of warm water and apply with a stiff brush.

Let it dry and apply a coat of waterproof sealer.

Makes the wood look like new...Works wonders every time.

Damn... I think you just gave me the magic bullet. ....but you mean sodium percarbonate right? I only took a few minutes to look into it but looks good, and apparently Diluted oxiclean is the same thing and much cheaper to use. Anyway, once I'm finished my coffee I'll definitely get it sorted out and is good to know still having about 90% left to do.

Whatever you do, at least wear a dust mask. If the wood was treated initially it could contain arsenic or other chemicals. Keep any pets or other humans away during the process. Good luck!

Was never treated and trust me.... with crazy dog people around me it would go to a 5 star hotel for a week before an risk to his healt would happen. That's not saying I would do anything risky... just stating there's a guarantee he is very safe.

stefen

[quote=Iron Patch ]

No...TSP aka, Tri Sodium Phosphate...only a couple of bucks a box...

As an example...weathered redwood turns grey to black and when washed with TSP, it returns to its original redwood color...will do the same for other wood species as well...

Get a stiff floor brush...deck brush...with a screw-in handle

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2820 times

I've used TSP many times on walls and parts to prep them for painting. Roughs up the finish so new paint adheres better and removes all the dirt, grease and grime. Never thought to use it on the deck. I will now!!
    Yep, wear goggles and rubber gloves!
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

[quote=stefen ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch

No...TSP aka, Tri Sodium Phosphate...only a couple of bucks a box...

As an example...weathered redwood turns grey to black and when washed with TSP, it returns to its original redwood color...will do the same for other wood species as well...

Get a stiff floor brush...deck brush...with a screw-in handle

Ok good, thanks for the correction.

So what type of concentration should I use? I just called, and it's $10 for a liter bottle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links