Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Anyone ever take a drum sander to a patio deck

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    stefen

Re: Anyone ever take a drum sander to a patio deck

Not familar with liquid...have always used the powder form...like a cup to a bucket...if you are familar with powdered clothes or dishwasher soap...it looks the same...

Because nails always los their holding power and pop...consider replacing with deck screws or epoxy coated deck nails...I prefer the screws myself..

PM and let me know how the job turns out...

Quote Originally Posted by stefen
    Not familar with liquid...have always used the powder form...like a cup to a bucket...if you are familar with powdered clothes or dishwasher soap...it looks the same...

Because nails always los their holding power and pop...consider replacing with deck screws or epoxy coated deck nails...I prefer the screws myself..

PM and let me know how the job turns out...

Cool. You mean like a 10L bucket?

Too many nails to think about replacing.

If it turns out good I'll post some pics. If not... well I'll think about it.

stefen

A standard bucket....hell....try a cup to a bucketfull of water...

Remember its only a 6-pac job...

And another 6-pac waiting for it to dry

Feb 2007
    N OC CA
    Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
    10 times

TSP works good on wood. When it's time to seal it put the sealer in a pump up yard sprayer (Hudson sprayer) and spray it on, spread ever with brush or mini roller. I use that technique on ceder siding and fences. Ripping sanding drums on nails and edges gets real expensive real fast, cheaper to hire someone in the long run. Clean the sprayer after or the flapper will curl.
    Truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but, in the end, there it is.

A standard bucket....hell....try a cup to a bucketfull of water...

Remember its only a 6-pac job...

And another 6-pac waiting for it to dry

...and admire the work with the other 6? Think I can handle that.

us
    Dec 2008

In the last 4 years, I replaced the about 1200 square feet of redwood decking on our mountain home. As with your, ours is subject to rain, snow, ice and extreme sun exposure, in addition to tree sap from the pines and cedars, bird sh1t, and foot traffic.

Power washing by itself can be detrimental if not used properly.

I use TSP (tri-sodium phosphate), a non-foaming detergent that is available in any market or hardware store.

Mix into a bucket of warm water and apply with a stiff brush.

Let it dry and apply a coat of waterproof sealer.

Makes the wood look like new...Works wonders every time.

I second his opinion of TSP and the bleach as well. I would just add one recommendation. Go buy pool chlorine instead of bleach from the store. The stuff you get at the pool place is 15% hypochlorite and the stuff like Chlorox is only 5-6%. You can either run it through your siphon on your pressure washer or put it full strength in a pump up sprayer. DO NOT get this stuff in your eye!!!! I speak from experience. It felt like a hundred ants biting my eyeball. Not fun at all.

My brother and I own a business and we have washed MANY houses, sidewalks, fences, decks. etc. and we always use bleach. Just spray it on and let it work while you continue to spray. When you get done spraying you should be able to go back to where you started and start rinsing. You will not need high pressure, especially not up close because you will splinter the wood and its all downhill from there. The TSP we only used when something was REALLY dirty and stuck on. The bleach was usually all it took and most people looked as if we had just given them a new whatever it was we were washing. Good luck!!!

Jeff

Also, be sure to move anything that could be damaged by bleach, even the overspray. The pool stuff is no joke, but it works! If you have plants that may catch some of the spray that you cannot move just hose them down before you start and then rinse them again when done. Do not cover them because the heat created under plastic will sometimes kill them. This too, I know from experience.

Dec 2016
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I must say this one is really nice deck.

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52. Keene A52P Bazooka mini. Prospectors choice clean up sluice. Fish oil and Crisco... Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    7200 times
    They make a pressure washier atatchment that is a rolling bar, multiple tips, keeps the same spray pattern and the nossels a safe distance off the deck. roll it around you actually can't mess up!
    This first.

Deck Cleaners : Superdeck Wood Cleaner

Then this, depending on the wood type.

Deck Cleaners : Superdeck Wood Brightener

Wait I just noticed how old this thread was.....
    Well.... How did it turn out?
    Last edited by Oregon Viking; Dec 22, 2016 at 12:50 AM.

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia
    JW 8X - ML X2
    14937 times
    So...
    I am curious...

What was the method chosen... and what were the results... and finally how is the deck today ?
    diggummup and FC-Treasure like this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links