Anyone ever take a drum sander to a patio deck

F

Felinepeachy

packerbacker said:
That may be ok. Ever think about biting the bullet and painting the deck? Saves a lot of work and expense.

I was just at Lowes yesterday and they told me you can't paint a deck, that it would peel up yada yada yada,. They said the only thing that would cover it would be solid stain. Can you paint a deck or not? If so, what kind of paint?

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Felinepeachy said:
packerbacker said:
That may be ok. Ever think about biting the bullet and painting the deck? Saves a lot of work and expense.

I was just at Lowes yesterday and they told me you can't paint a deck, that it would peel up yada yada yada,. They said the only thing that would cover it would be solid stain. Can you paint a deck or not? If so, what kind of paint?

Eventually, any high solids coating you put on outdoor wood will succumb to weathering. Even the best marine grade spar varnishes and epoxies fail after a few years. Solid, or opaque, stain will weather and fade over time. IMHO the best approach is to use the best penetrating outdoor stain you can get, and plan on re-coating it every few years. That way you protect the wood itself from decay as much as possible.

Diggem'

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Pressure wash it first, let it dry, hit it with a belt sander. If there are mold spots or stains use a bleach cleaner to bring out the spot. Then u can either use a deck stain or a paint. Kwals makes some very good products that will do a good job. To do it right it is going to take some time but it is not that hard, just remember the knee pads.

S

stefen

In the last 4 years, I replaced the about 1200 square feet of redwood decking on our mountain home. As with your, ours is subject to rain, snow, ice and extreme sun exposure, in addition to tree sap from the pines and cedars, bird sh1t, and foot traffic.

Power washing by itself can be detrimental if not used properly.

I use TSP (tri-sodium phosphate), a non-foaming detergent that is available in any market or hardware store.

Mix into a bucket of warm water and apply with a stiff brush.

Let it dry and apply a coat of waterproof sealer.

Makes the wood look like new...Works wonders every time.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you do, at least wear a dust mask. If the wood was treated initially it could contain arsenic or other chemicals. Keep any pets or other humans away during the process. Good luck!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
In the last 4 years, I replaced the about 1200 square feet of redwood decking on our mountain home. As with your, ours is subject to rain, snow, ice and extreme sun exposure, in addition to tree sap from the pines and cedars, bird sh1t, and foot traffic.

I use TSP (tri-sodium phosphate), a non-foaming detergent that is available in any market or hardware store.

Damn... I think you just gave me the magic bullet. :headbang: ....but you mean sodium percarbonate right? I only took a few minutes to look into it but looks good, and apparently Diluted oxiclean is the same thing and much cheaper to use. Anyway, once I'm finished my coffee I'll definitely get it sorted out and is good to know still having about 90% left to do.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Whatever you do, at least wear a dust mask. If the wood was treated initially it could contain arsenic or other chemicals. Keep any pets or other humans away during the process. Good luck!

Was never treated and trust me.... with crazy dog people around me it would go to a 5 star hotel for a week before an risk to his healt would happen. That's not saying I would do anything risky... just stating there's a guarantee he is very safe.

S

stefen

Iron Patch said:
No...TSP aka, Tri Sodium Phosphate...only a couple of bucks a box...

As an example...weathered redwood turns grey to black and when washed with TSP, it returns to its original redwood color...will do the same for other wood species as well...

Get a stiff floor brush...deck brush...with a screw-in handle

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used TSP many times on walls and parts to prep them for painting. Roughs up the finish so new paint adheres better and removes all the dirt, grease and grime. Never thought to use it on the deck. I will now!!
Yep, wear goggles and rubber gloves!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Iron Patch said:
No...TSP aka, Tri Sodium Phosphate...only a couple of bucks a box...

As an example...weathered redwood turns grey to black and when washed with TSP, it returns to its original redwood color...will do the same for other wood species as well...

Get a stiff floor brush...deck brush...with a screw-in handle

Ok good, thanks for the correction.

So what type of concentration should I use? I just called, and it's $10 for a liter bottle.

S

stefen

Not familar with liquid...have always used the powder form...like a cup to a bucket...if you are familar with powdered clothes or dishwasher soap...it looks the same...

Because nails always los their holding power and pop...consider replacing with deck screws or epoxy coated deck nails...I prefer the screws myself..

PM and let me know how the job turns out...

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Not familar with liquid...have always used the powder form...like a cup to a bucket...if you are familar with powdered clothes or dishwasher soap...it looks the same...

Because nails always los their holding power and pop...consider replacing with deck screws or epoxy coated deck nails...I prefer the screws myself..

PM and let me know how the job turns out...

Cool. You mean like a 10L bucket?

Too many nails to think about replacing.

If it turns out good I'll post some pics. If not... well I'll think about it. ;D

S

stefen

A standard bucket....hell....try a cup to a bucketfull of water...

Remember its only a 6-pac job...

And another 6-pac waiting for it to dry

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
TSP works good on wood. When it's time to seal it put the sealer in a pump up yard sprayer (Hudson sprayer) and spray it on, spread ever with brush or mini roller. I use that technique on ceder siding and fences. Ripping sanding drums on nails and edges gets real expensive real fast, cheaper to hire someone in the long run. Clean the sprayer after or the flapper will curl.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
A standard bucket....hell....try a cup to a bucketfull of water...

Remember its only a 6-pac job...

And another 6-pac waiting for it to dry

...and admire the work with the other 6? Think I can handle that.

jeff456

Dec 15, 2008
stefen said:

I second his opinion of TSP and the bleach as well. I would just add one recommendation. Go buy pool chlorine instead of bleach from the store. The stuff you get at the pool place is 15% hypochlorite and the stuff like Chlorox is only 5-6%. You can either run it through your siphon on your pressure washer or put it full strength in a pump up sprayer. DO NOT get this stuff in your eye!!!! I speak from experience. It felt like a hundred ants biting my eyeball. Not fun at all.

My brother and I own a business and we have washed MANY houses, sidewalks, fences, decks. etc. and we always use bleach. Just spray it on and let it work while you continue to spray. When you get done spraying you should be able to go back to where you started and start rinsing. You will not need high pressure, especially not up close because you will splinter the wood and its all downhill from there. The TSP we only used when something was REALLY dirty and stuck on. The bleach was usually all it took and most people looked as if we had just given them a new whatever it was we were washing. Good luck!!!

Jeff

Also, be sure to move anything that could be damaged by bleach, even the overspray. The pool stuff is no joke, but it works! If you have plants that may catch some of the spray that you cannot move just hose them down before you start and then rinse them again when done. Do not cover them because the heat created under plastic will sometimes kill them. This too, I know from experience.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They make a pressure washier atatchment that is a rolling bar, multiple tips, keeps the same spray pattern and the nossels a safe distance off the deck. roll it around you actually can't mess up!
This first.

Deck Cleaners : Superdeck Wood Cleaner

Then this, depending on the wood type.

Deck Cleaners : Superdeck Wood Brightener

Wait I just noticed how old this thread was.....:BangHead::laughing7:
Well.... How did it turn out?

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So...
I am curious...

What was the method chosen... and what were the results... and finally how is the deck today ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread