Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
You'll create low spots!!

What if I used the washer to take care of the spots, then gave it a quick once over with the sander again? To do the entire surface with the washer will take a very long time. I spent a few hours today and am still on the other side. (To the right) I gotta find an easier way. 8)

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Should be ok, as long as it's fixed down well and properly dry :-\

Well I guess we'll find out. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
That may be ok. Ever think about biting the bullet and painting the deck? Saves a lot of work and expense.

No, much prefer the wood and would stick with that even if I have to do it the hard, long way.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
texastee2007 said:
If by drum sander you mean the ones that refinish hardwood floors, Yes. Your deck can't have badly cupped boards and absolutely no loose nails or screws...everything needs to be tight. You have to go slow and try and keep with the grain. It will turn out as good as you are careful! As someone mentioned...no moisture. Make sure you do it on a day where you can apply a finisher of some sort right away.....you sure do not want rain or blistering sun to ruin your work.....best of luck and start in a spot you don't see very well till you get the hang of it. If I can do it you can to.

Sounds like a woman who knows how to treat a deck..............how much would it cost me to mail you out to Idaho for a couple weeks? I'll BBQ & drink beer & watch you sand & finish! :icon_thumleft: My deck looks real bad, too bad in fact to even show y'all a pic! (It is after all a tar-paper shack :tongue3:)

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
If by drum sander you mean the ones that refinish hardwood floors, Yes. Your deck can't have badly cupped boards and absolutely no loose nails or screws...everything needs to be tight. You have to go slow and try and keep with the grain. It will turn out as good as you are careful! As someone mentioned...no moisture. Make sure you do it on a day where you can apply a finisher of some sort right away.....you sure do not want rain or blistering sun to ruin your work.....best of luck and start in a spot you don't see very well till you get the hang of it. If I can do it you can to.

Great! I'll keep all that in mind. :thumbsup:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
You need to go over it in different directions, finishing with the grain. Also changing grades of paper each time...course, medium and then fine.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
You need to go over it in different directions, finishing with the grain.

That's what my bookmarked page states as well. Says first go against, then on a diagonal, and finish with the grain.

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey friend I've been painting and in construction since I was 17. I'm 29 now and for a short stint in the military this is all I know.
I would 1st get some deck restorer, sold at lowes, home depot, ace etc. You spray it on let it sit then rince with a pressure washer. 95% of the time they come out looking new, then you can re-treat with a wood preserver of your choice. Kinda like an acid wash for wood. Just get the most expensive because when it comes to stuff like this you get what you pay for.
You definetly can sand it but just trying to save you some work, also be good at it or you will get some low spots. If you want specific anwsers and detailed instructions on how and what to apply hit me up and I'll give a better response.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1988 we built the current home that my parents live in now. The home has over 1000sq. feet of deck, most of that is on the second floor and it was constructed using 2 x 6 decking, which at the time we thought would be great. Now, 22 years later many of the boards are twisting and turning up on the ends and once I add the drop in the backyard I'm looking at a 16ft high repair/ replacemnt job. (Also used spiral decking nails.) Replacing the whole deck is too costly now days and refinishing is out the window because of the loose edges and settled low spots and wear. I am at a loss as to how to go about restoring this deck? Wish we would have never built it out of such heavy lumber. Uhg............

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eureka77 said:
Hey friend I've been painting and in construction since I was 17. I'm 29 now and for a short stint in the military this is all I know.
I would 1st get some deck restorer, sold at lowes, home depot, ace etc. You spray it on let it sit then rince with a pressure washer. 95% of the time they come out looking new, then you can re-treat with a wood preserver of your choice. Kinda like an acid wash for wood. Just get the most expensive because when it comes to stuff like this you get what you pay for.
You definetly can sand it but just trying to save you some work, also be good at it or you will get some low spots. If you want specific anwsers and detailed instructions on how and what to apply hit me up and I'll give a better response.

I guess my bookmarked page is pretty good because it also talks about the restorer. I'm glad you mentioned it to get me thinking again, and I might give that a shot first because my main problem right now is that I pretty much have to blast the heck out of the wood to remove the staining. I still do need a sander from what I've done already.... but the restorer might make the rest easier.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
Replacing the whole deck is too costly now days

That's exactly why I have myself mixed up in this right now. I wish I could help you solve your problem, but I'm just the idiot who started this thread needing help. ;D

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Tee...........crank up the air con, make the hubby get you a tall frosty glass of iced tea, kick back in front of the TV in a recliner & wait for 70 degree weather. Take my advice, Im not a doctor but I read a book written by a doctor once. A long time ago. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
Tee...........crank up the air con, make the hubby get you a tall frosty glass of iced tea, kick back in front of the TV in a recliner & wait for 70 degree weather. Take my advice, Im not a doctor but I read a book written by a doctor once. A long time ago. :dontknow:

Didn't cover decks?

Attachments

• 3875512435_2a055e1cb4_o.jpg
    3875512435_2a055e1cb4_o.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 394

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be carefull with the pressure washer when cleaning natural wood, you can destroy the grain if you get to close. Makes for a lot more work later on and looks like crap.

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
instead of a drum sander they rent a big push sanders that planes it off even. a drum sander is horrible. it only cost about 35 a day + belts to rent but well worth it.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending on how the sander goes, you may want to try some deck cleaner. Getting a sander in the tight spots is probably impossible. I used to use a belt sander. There are some cleaners that will also "brighten" the wood to prepare it for finishing. Penofin makes good products. I had mixed Penofin stain with Thompsons water seal 50/50 and the finish lasted a long time. A little touch up every couple of years is all that is needed. Some "deck stains" are just latex based at I think they look awful. The older oil based stains bring out the grain in the wood a lot better and look more natural. Talk to a local hardware store about what they think works.

Is that really you in the avatar?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread