Loose change in my pocket

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner and I always carry a handful of loose change in our pockets whenever we're going to be hunting an area that is likely to have small children. Small children are curious and they always seem to gather around to see what you're doing, not always wanted, but always welcome. Perhaps metal detecting gives me no greater joy then that moment when a child digs their first handful of treasure out of the sand, be it only a few shiny pennies and perhaps a lone nickel or quarter to boot, that excited look on their face and their wide open eyes as they run off to show mom what they have plucked from the sand. "Mom! Look, Mom! I found treasure!" I've often wondered over the years if at some point in those simple moments if perhaps I have inspired one or more of them beyond their innocent youth. Did that one simple moment stick with them through time, do they recall the day they found their first piece of treasure? Perhaps, perhaps not? I will probably never know. But I do know that those brief moments always inspire me, the simple giving back to a passtime that has provided so much adventure to me. "Mom! Look, Mom! I found treasure!" They're presence is not always wanted, but whenever they show up it seems I always go home feeling like I had a really good hunt. Well worth the cost of a handful of loose change. :thumbsup:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your approach to this :icon_thumleft: You may be spreading the hobby on to future generations in this fashion. Way to go! I think we are alike in this fashion as I have seen many others who have no time to talk to anyone. Besides, you never know who will meet through your generosity. :headbang:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just something about those little smiling faces that makes me feel good, brings out the little kid in me I suppose, (which seldom needs much help). :laughing7:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was about 8 years old a man in a park with a MD told me to dig right under his coil and I would find great treasure,well I did and I dug up a 1960 penny,not much but I thought it was neat and I still do. :hello2:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
When I was about 8 years old a man in a park with a MD told me to dig right under his coil and I would find great treasure,well I did and I dug up a 1960 penny,not much but I thought it was neat and I still do. :hello2:

That was you ??? :laughing9: :laughing9:

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Earlier this year we put change in those plastic Easter eggs and hid them under the ice plant and ivy and let the kids hunt them with my old compass. It was fun as could be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread