Engineering: Can a wind driven vehicle drive faster than the wind?

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Perhaps you may have stumbled up the recent nerd rage of, "Can a wind driven vehicle (passive), go faster than the wind itself that drives it"?. The quickest answer, that I myself immediatly came up with is "Obviuosly not". But, to my suprise, it's is possible. It's a head scracher for sure. It all started with the first proto-type on youtube here->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpdWHFqHm0

Then later, they actually build a full sized vehicle to prove it. I was swayed because I finally looked at the way the propellar was spinning. It was pushing 'against' the wind. Not using the wind itself to drive the wheels.

Here is the official website http://www.fasterthanthewind.org/

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like the prop is, as you say, going opposite the direction the tailwind would push it naturally. This means that it is going in the direction the forward motion through the air would push it. So, they get a push, the forward motion creates spin, the tailwind provides the moving cushion to push against which increases speed, further increasing spin, until equilibrium is reached. I think. Pretty cool.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
The Beep Goes On said:
It looks like the prop is, as you say, going opposite the direction the tailwind would push it naturally. This means that it is going in the direction the forward motion through the air would push it. So, they get a push, the forward motion creates spin, the tailwind provides the moving cushion to push against which increases speed, further increasing spin, until equilibrium is reached. I think. Pretty cool.

That's exactly right. I don't think this paradigm of engineering has ever been thought of before (at least in this regard). it's crazy. there were many, many highly important scientist that got into this discussion claiming that it would NEVER work. I was wowed too.

EDIT: Ironically, it got me to thinking about the movie 'Water World'.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is amazing that we're still finding paradoxically simple principles...

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reminds me of some CVD reactors I worked with that utilized the Bernouli Principle on delicate silicon wafers. In effect, positive airflow was directed in a way to actually cause a vacuum. The paddle sucked the wafer onto it's surface but there was a microscopic layer of air between them so the paddle never makes contact with the silicon wafer. Fascinating stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions