Understanding the Amish and their animals

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
This has been one heckova week. Monday I received a phone call from a boxer rescue group. They asked if I'd be interestd in taking one of 2 white, 17 week old, deaf boxer puppies. And if I couldn't would I help find them homes. I agreed to find them homes, or try. I found out that the Amish breeder, if he couldn't sell them ($100.00 each), he was going to kill them this weekend. I called the breeder and said, "look, if you don't sell them by Thursday night, can I have them for free?" he said "NO". "Why?" He replied, "because I've fed them and gave them their shots."
"BUT... I have homes for them....what cha got to lose if ya don't sell them???? "

I'm fairly confident that he's running a puppy mill. I have it set up that a local no-kill animal shelter will take ALL the puppies and adult dogs IF they're going to put them down. My boss graciously offered to pay the money so I'm picking the puppies up tomorrow night.

BUT, but, but... why do they prefer to kill the puppies if they can't sell them? Anyone? Please enlighten me.
And I'm looking for an explanation not a one sentence stating that that's their way...WHY is it their way?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you even sure this guy is Amish :dontknow: From what I know about them (which is very little) they are a tight knit and very religious group of people. I don't see them killing anything unless it was for food.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
yes, he's Amish, he told me so, not mennonite. the reason he has a cell phone, according to him, is because he has a store.

Amish are known for running puppy mills

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
yes, he's Amish, he told me so, not mennonite. the reason he has a cell phone, according to him, is because he has a store.

Amish are known for running puppy mills

Give me his number in a PM, and I'll put the fear of god into him :laughing9: I am damn good and convincing on the phone, and you can take that to the bank :icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
dutch folks in general are well known for cheapness / skinflint ways -- in general rather than give away something they got money invested in for "free" and thus taking a loss and running the risk of being mocked and made fun of for being a "poor bussinessman" and being "had" in a dealing by others , they would rather take a "whole loss" and destroy the animal ( in many cases breeding farmers as a whole are not prone to be overly attached to the animals they sell --it tends to be "profiet / loss" to them) -- thus giving away something for "free" that they got money invested in goes against their basic training and nature--- its a vain point of pride * which is a sin.

offer to cover the cost of food and of the shots to allow himto "save face" and get his investment back --however point out to him that the animals are "flawed" deaf and that while you will cover his "investment" for being so kind as to let them live -- you will not make him a "profiet" from selling a flawed animal to you --- but that you will find it a loving home at "no profiet" to yourself --other than gods blessing for your kindness.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Yep, what Ivan said.

It's the same reason a farmer won't sell an old car in his field for a reasonable price to a car guy, but he will sell it to a junkman for scrap value. He's afraid the car guy is going to make a big profit on it, but the crusher can only get scrap value.

It's all about power and control and spite.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plus, from a purely local business perspective, more live puppies out there = more dogs available = less business in the future. :dontknow:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan does have a point there. Funny, but when I first started reading about the "Boxer Rescue Group" I thought they were out to help has been fighters :dontknow:

F

Felinepeachy

vibes said:
BUT, but, but... why do they prefer to kill the puppies if they can't sell them? Anyone? Please enlighten me.

Same reason the guys that run a Christmas tree lots would rather throw the trees out than to give them away on Christmas eve.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Doesn't seem like a very Christian attitude does it? I love how some folks spout scripture at you as long as it suits their purpose but if you try to turn the tables on them with it they can't handle it. I would find a few choice verses and take a bible with me to pick up the puppies and shame him into letting you save their lives. I would make sure I did it within earshot of as many people as I could too. Thanks to you and your boss for saving them,

HH Charlie

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very cool thing for you to do :thumbsup:

Right now we have 4 Cocker Spaniels. . . 2 of them were puppy-mill
rescues that were run by Amish and Mennonites >:(. We'll end up keeping
3 and find a home for the 4th.

I wish you the best with this sad situation.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
ivan salis said:
dutch folks in general are well known for cheapness / skinflint ways --

Just a note . The "Pennsylvania Dutch" or "Amish" are originally from Switzerland . They spoke German and folks thought "deutsch" really meant Dutch . They were called Amish because they were a religious group led by Joseph Ammons . I think this guy is a fraud .

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
paratrooper said:
ivan salis said:
dutch folks in general are well known for cheapness / skinflint ways --

Just a note . The "Pennsylvania Dutch" or "Amish" are originally from Switzerland . They spoke German and folks thought "deutsch" really meant Dutch . They were called Amish because they were a religious group led by Joseph Ammons . I think this guy is a fraud .

paratrooper, perhaps he is a fraud. I just found out these 2 males are not HIS puppies but a friend of his, also Amish. I will be totin' my camera so at least, if anything else, I can share a photo of the puppies.

PLUS I'm going to offer 50 dollars for BOTH dogs!!!!!!

I can't wait to play with them on the ride to their new home:)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
This has been one heckova week. Monday I received a phone call from a boxer rescue group. They asked if I'd be interestd in taking one of 2 white, 17 week old, deaf boxer puppies. And if I couldn't would I help find them homes. I agreed to find them homes, or try. I found out that the Amish breeder, if he couldn't sell them ($100.00 each), he was going to kill them this weekend. I called the breeder and said, "look, if you don't sell them by Thursday night, can I have them for free?" he said "NO". "Why?" He replied, "because I've fed them and gave them their shots."
"BUT... I have homes for them....what cha got to lose if ya don't sell them???? "

I'm fairly confident that he's running a puppy mill. I have it set up that a local no-kill animal shelter will take ALL the puppies and adult dogs IF they're going to put them down. My boss graciously offered to pay the money so I'm picking the puppies up tomorrow night.

And I'm looking for an explanation not a one sentence stating that that's their way...WHY is it their way?

Well Go to the SPCA And try to get them
to "Give" you the animals they plan to "Put Down"

Unless things are Different there, You will
have to go through Adoption Procedures,
Prove to them you are a Fit Person,
& Pay all fees.

Of course the SPCA is running a Puppy Mill

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
You got a good heart Vibes, if I lived in your area I would take one of those pups off your hands in a minute! I see animals suffering & it breaks my heart...........dont understand how people can treat them so badly, be so abusive to them, exploit their lives for a few bucks. >:(
Good luck to you, I hope it all works out & you save their lives..........get them into a loving home with a family who will take good care of them for the rest of their lives. :)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
You got a good heart Vibes, if I lived in your area I would take one of those pups off your hands in a minute! I see animals suffering & it breaks my heart...........dont understand how people can treat them so badly, be so abusive to them, exploit their lives for a few bucks. >:(
Good luck to you, I hope it all works out & you save their lives..........get them into a loving home with a family who will take good care of them for the rest of their lives. :)

AP don't hold your breath big guy. I'm still waiting for Vibes to adopt me, besides I think I have a better chance in meeting god :laughing9:

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
People including the Amish think there (you know what) don't stink but in reality the Amish are some of the biggest drug producers around. They are always busting Amish farms for growing illegal narcotics. I heard they also have high crime rates including sexual assaults but it is mostly covered up by the community. From what I have read and seen on TV from those who left the church there covering up of crimes as as bad, possibly even worse than the Vatican.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Thought you'd like to see a pic of the boxers on their way home.

It ended up being a male and a female, not 2 males. But I think they're adorable!!!!!!

Attachments

• 38088_1494763203198_1057590214_1414221_2467117_n.jpg
    38088_1494763203198_1057590214_1414221_2467117_n.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 253

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the one on the left is looking to break into the movies playing "Petey" in "The Little Rascals 2".

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Ok, ok...just go ahead and bring 'em to my house now that I've seen them. I hope you gave the guy an earfull for threatening to put them down :argue:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread