Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modern version of Buck Crofton's caches in the Otselic Valley, New York

The suggestion for this story was donated by Tuberale, so don't blame me :laughing7: Like I said, I'm not much of a treasure hunting story teller, but I will give it my best shot. Also note, that I did take the time to google this man and did read all about him, so it should help with the storyline

It appears that Buck and his brother buried 2 strong boxes of gold and silver. So, the long and short of this story is that they lived, buried stuff, died and the stuff is still there.

Nah, this is missing way too many elements to be of interest..

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Re: Modern version of Buck Crofton's caches in the Otselic Valley, New York

Didn't dig deep enough. Other facts are available, but perhaps not available on-line as copyright may still be in effect. Also, older written material still has to be printed on-line before someone can find it.

I was being serious, Spartacus. It was not a joke.

If you found information on Buck Crofton and his brother, then you also must have had an indication of what time there were living.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, both were shot and died a few days apart in 1806... I would have loved to say his wife lived happily ever-after, but she too died from gunshots sustained from the Loomis gang.. So what did I leave out :dontknow:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

They had a route selling bottled medicine that apparently was paying off pretty well, called Crofton Bros. Medicine Shows. Victor I. Thayer wrote an article on the treasure first for the Prospector's Club International, Sept.-Oct. issue, 1968. Said to be buried near Pitcher Springs today, but "Silvan Springs" then. Mabel Brown Hagen wrote a small pamphlet for "libraries and historical societies" in 1954 called "The Story of Pitcher Springs," and included the story there. Only 50 carbon-copied, hand-bound books were made. Buck Crofton (aka Samuel S. Crofton) and his brother Silas Crofton were large men. Silas is said to have been able to bend steel with his bare hands. They sold "root pills" and created an "All Cure" remedy, which they sold at sulphur springs (then considered spas). The brothers may have dabbled in horse selling, as well as liberating horses from other hands. That's what got them in trouble with the Loomis Gang.

They are reported to have buried 2 chests or strongboxes after being alerted that George Washington Loomis was out to kill them. These containers contained $15,000 in silver coins, about $4,000 in gold coins, and some $4,000 in bills. Keep in mind that many of these coins were very early US coins, as well as coins where were circulated during the early history of the U.S. The treasure was hidden after 1804 in a pit. Buck and Silas were killed by the Loomis Gang shortly after hiding their money. Buck's wife was struck by a ricochet, but lived long enough to tell Bill Wilde (or Wildman) of the buried money.

Books on the Loomis Gang sometimes don't even mention Silas and Samuel Crofton. While not directly involved in horse stealing, the Loomis Gang members definately were involved in selling horses.

For a much better version of this story, "Buck Crofton's Missing Fortune" by Victor I. Thayer, in A.T. Evans' Treasure Hunters' Yearbook, 1974-'75 Edition, p. 121.

The importance of this story to treasure hunters should be obvious: this was a hugh amount of money at that time, and contained many early-day silver and gold coins, each one of which would be considered a fortune by itself today.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I liked mentioned earlier, I am not your typical storyteller when it comes to treasure hunting, legends, folklore, or anything remotely connected to treasure hunting. I'm a little too lazy to get fully involved in the hobby and I rarely go out now just for the joy of detecting. I prefer sitting back and writing a story, or event that is humorous, well at least in my mind. So I am sorry I didn't try harder to get into the spirit of your request. I went another route and tired to make it a humorous short story, very short story.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

I understand. I recognize that you post a lot of humor, and God knows, the world needs a little more of that. TNet appreciates your contributions.

I was taking your statements at face value.

I'm sorry if I caused offense. None was meant. I just thought that in this forum, you might have been curious about the story. I'm never going to be able to search for it. I have no wish to travel to New York, and can't tell you where the Otselic Valley is.

But if I did live in that area, I think I'd want to do some serious research on this one.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No offense was taken, and I know that you were looking for a "real" story. I do find these stories like the one you mentioned interesting, but trust me, after this many years, someone may have already found it and kept their mouth shut.

What did get me interested is that their were also several other articles about lost treasures throughout NYS, one in particular hit a chord with me. It was a story of these bootlegger's and how these gangsters may have buried a cache in Kingston, NY. What I found interesting is that we vacationed in a small town near Ellenville, NY which is only 30 miles away. The best past was up the road from were we stayed was reputably a house of a big time mobster and bootlegger. I remember as a kid of 5, or 6 passing this house with a very long driveway always had some type of activity.

I did not give the name of this town, because I am trying to get in contact with the current owner of my vacation spot. He is the great-great grandson of the owner and their land was deeded to them by King George.. This place has a little history to it. I am hoping to make a trip up there this fall and do a little detecting and then I'll head by the old mobsters house too. I should find a ton of silver coins as the cottages have been close for over 30 years. Last year I stopped by on a day trip and the place was run down, so my odds are good.

So I can only expect to find some nice coins from the 30-60's but that is good enough for me.

ewarren29

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea where I can get that article. I purchased a copy of the story of pitcher springs but found no metion of this. I can't find anything online in regards to the author or the article. Was hoping to confirm that it is in the treasure hunters yearbook before I order it.Any info would be greatly appriciated.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea where I can get that article. I purchased a copy of the story of pitcher springs but found no metion of this. I can't find anything online in regards to the author or the article. Was hoping to confirm that it is in the treasure hunters yearbook before I order it.Any info would be greatly appriciated.

Try sending Tuberale a Personal message. This is an old thread, but it is interesting!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread