The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought this was interesting for a few reasons. Although limited by by the inability to accurately model the brain at this time and current computer modeling techniques, they are saying that you "raise" these robots like a child and they develop accordingly. As this emotional feedback technology becomes more advanced it will be amusing to see if neurotic people raise neurotic robots, or if bad parenting results in "wayward robots". On the flip-side, will people become so obseesed with their "children" that they lose sight of a chunk of reality? Since this technology involves the robotic ability to read emotions, you can rest assured that full-size (or even dog or cat size) personal bodyguard robots will be here at some point, although the legality, permitting and lethality of these gadgets is a question. When a computer becomes closer in abilities and capacity to the human mind lots of things could happen. I think the turning point will be when they have a platform that will accept and be capable of operating under Asimov's three laws of robotics, even if the reasoning behind the laws was not "understood" by the machine. Sorry for the ramble.

The Three Laws of Robotics are as follows:
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

How about a miltary version of these laws...?
1. A robot must obey orders given to it by military personnel with appropriate credentials and passkeys.
2. A robot may not, through inaction, allow a fellow soldier to come to harm as long as such action does not conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100809094527.htm
Robots Created That Develop Emotions in Interaction With Humans
ScienceDaily, Aug. 9, 2010

The first prototype robots capable of developing emotions as they interact with their human caregivers and expressing a whole range of emotions have been finalised by researchers.

Led by Dr. Lola Cañamero at the University of Hertfordshire, and in collaboration with a consortium of universities and robotic companies across Europe, these robots differ from others in the way that they form attachments, interact and express emotion through bodily expression.

Developed as part of the interdisciplinary project FEELIX GROWING (Feel, Interact, eXpress: a Global approach to development with Interdisciplinary Grounding), funded by the European Commission and coordinated by Dr. Cañamero, the robots have been developed so that they learn to interact with and respond to humans in a similar way as children learn to do it, and use the same types of expressive and behavioural cues that babies use to learn to interact socially and emotionally with others.

The robots have been created through modelling the early attachment process that human and chimpanzee infants undergo with their caregivers when they develop a preference for a primary caregiver.

They are programmed to learn to adapt to the actions and mood of their human caregivers, and to become particularly attached to an individual who interacts with the robot in a way that is particularly suited to its personality profile and learning needs. The more they interact, and are given the appropriate feedback and level of engagement from the human caregiver, the stronger the bond developed and the amount learned.

The robots are capable of expressing anger, fear, sadness, happiness, excitement and pride and will demonstrate very visible distress if the caregiver fails to provide them comfort when confronted by a stressful situation that they cannot cope with or to interact with them when they need it.

"This behaviour is modelled on what a young child does," said Dr Cañamero. "This is also very similar to the way chimpanzees and other non-human primates develop affective bonds with their caregivers."

This is the first time that early attachment models of human and non-human primates have been used to program robots that develop emotions in interaction with humans.

"We are working on non-verbal cues and the emotions are revealed through physical postures, gestures and movements of the body rather than facial or verbal expression," Dr Cañamero added.

The researchers led by Dr. Cañamero at the University of Hertfordshire are now extending the prototype further and adapting it as part of the EU project ALIZ-E, which will develop robots that learn to be carer/companion for diabetic children in hospital settings.

Within this project, coordinated by Dr Tony Belpaeme of the University of Plymouth, the Hertfordshire group will lead research related to the emotions and non-linguistic behaviour of the robots. The future robot companions will combine non-linguistic and linguistic communication to interact with the children and become increasingly adapted to their individual profiles in order to support both, therapeutic aspects of their treatment and their social and emotional wellbeing.

The FEELIX GROWING project has been funded by the Sixth Framework Programme of the European Commission. The other partners in the project are: Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (France), Université de Cergy Pontoise (France), Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (Switzerland), University of Portsmouth (U.K.), Institute of Communication and Computer Systems (Greece), Entertainment Robotics (Denmark), and Aldebaran Robotics (France).

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of these back in the late 80's and early 90's, but it wasn't loyal and never worked right so I divorced it in 93. :laughing7:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop said:
I had one of these back in the late 80's and early 90's, but it wasn't loyal and never worked right so I divorced it in 93. :laughing7:

See what I mean? And you just imagined it was your buddy! Lol :laughing7: :notworthy:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked in robotics for over 30 years, (until 07) and while they are capable of amazing things they can only do what man programs them to do, which is another area that is growing more amazing by the day. However, I've seen first hand just how many good jobs this industry has cost Americans and it's my feeling that these tech advancements are going to cost us more then the general public realizes. What use to take thirty humans to run is now being done with just a couple of techs, and it use to take four techs not all that long ago. This industry is also rapidly becoming a "throw away" industry which means less "service personel". In terms of future jobs it's actually quite scary where it is all heading.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop said:
I worked in robotics for over 30 years, (until 07) and while they are capable of amazing things they can only do what man programs them to do, which is another area that is growing more amazing by the day. However, I've seen first hand just how many good jobs this industry has cost Americans and it's my feeling that these tech advancements are going to cost us more then the general public realizes. What use to take thirty humans to run is now being done with just a couple of techs, and it use to take four techs not all that long ago. This industry is also rapidly becoming a "throw away" industry which means less "service personel". In terms of future jobs it's actually quite scary where it is all heading.

I wonder who builds the robots that build the robots? Some of the jobs end up somewhere, but I agree in general. Many things we already use are or can and will be roboticized like cars, lawnmowers...you name it.

We could cut off both our legs and one arm. We'd need the other one for the remote. :laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
bigscoop said:

I wonder who builds the robots that build the robots? Some of the jobs end up somewhere, but I agree in general. Many things we already use are or can and will be roboticized like cars, lawnmowers...you name it.

We could cut off both our legs and one arm. We'd need the other one for the remote. :laughing7:

The problem with that, (jobs ending up somewhere) is that just a few of these new industrial machines can produce and assemble millions of parts, so in essence you have say, six or seven machines doing the work of thirty people. And as for the manufacturing of these new machines, since it only takes a few to replace several humans it takes even less people to produce the machines. There is no doubt that the industrial job markets are suffering big time because of these high tech advances, and when one looks at the producing of these machines, sadly a great deal of them are manufactured overseas where cost is drastically reduced. Big business saw huge bucks overseas but, in my opinion, they failed to calculate the loss of those rich American incomes that supported their markets. You can't sell your goods to people who can't afford to buy them.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop said:
The Beep Goes On said:
bigscoop said:

The problem with that, (jobs ending up somewhere) is that just a few of these new industrial machines can produce and assemble millions of parts, so in essence you have say, six or seven machines doing the work of thirty people. And as for the manufacturing of these new machines, since it only takes a few to replace several humans it takes even less people to produce the machines. There is no doubt that the industrial job markets are suffering big time because of these high tech advances, and when one looks at the producing of these machines, sadly a great deal of them are manufactured overseas where cost is drastically reduced. Big business saw huge bucks overseas but, in my opinion, they failed to calculate the loss of those rich American incomes that supported their markets. You can't sell your goods to people who can't afford to buy them.

Yes, we seem to have a knack for turning innovation into disadvantage in the quest for the almighty dollar.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Oh, but there ARE job opportunities. The article even gives a hint for one:

The robots are capable of expressing anger, fear, sadness, happiness, excitement and pride and will demonstrate very visible distress if the caregiver fails to provide them comfort when confronted by a stressful situation that they cannot cope with or to interact with them when they need it.

Robot Psychiatrist!

You just listen to the robot's problems, ask it a few questions (such as "So tell me about your relationship with your mother." or "Are you having any... sexual ...problems?"), prescribe it an aa battery, then bill it $400 per session (most likely covered under a gov't insurance program.)

We humans ain't so dumb.... ;D

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zephyr said:
Oh, but there ARE job opportunities. The article even gives a hint for one:

Robot Psychiatrist!

You just listen to the robot's problems, ask it a few questions (such as "So tell me about your relationship with your mother." or "Are you having any... sexual ...problems?"), prescribe it an aa battery, then bill it $400 per session (most likely covered under a gov't insurance program.)

We humans ain't so dumb.... ;D

The gov't could use them for torture test dummies...ouch.

I wonder what it will do if you refuse it batteries and hide the charger...?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread