Gold vs Loose Diamonds

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since gold is so high right now, I was wondering if loose diamonds have increased in value in say, the last 5-10 years?
By what percent?
Is it comparable to gold?

They are lighter, easier to store and seem to at least hold their value.
What are your thoughts?

Best Wishes,
Scott

PS: This thought came in light of the "Blood Diamond" trial that I heard something about on the news.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it all depends on who is buying them. If you sell your gold and there is diamonds in them they will not give you anything for the diamonds. So make sure you take them out before you sell.

Pus I have not had very good luck on a decent price on my diamonds. I still have them and I will hold on them until I have some nice ones and proably have a nice ring made for my daughter.....Matt

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I would take gold anytime.
Anyone can test gold with acid or the electronic tester.
When it comes to diamonds, you have to be an expert. You have to understand color, clarity, flaws, cut, etc. etc. and it's all based on our conotation of the subject.
I can change gold into any shape from nuggets to bars to sell it.
Diamonds, what you have is it. and they are now burning serial numbers in to diamonds.
I can sell gold any where. Did you ever try to sell a diamond? I did and it ain't easy and you loose big every time.
My opinions for what there worth.
P.S. The rat post was a joke. A little off color but normal for T-net. sorry!

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the basis of my inquiry is based on intrinsic value; as an investment. Not so much as for aesthetic value. There IS beauty in diamonds and other gemstones, but not as much(to me) as the beauty in vintage gold coins. After all, isn't the reason people collect things is because they like them?

Be they intrinsically or aesthetically valuable. Or BOTH! :thumbsup:

Best,
Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlayers said:
I guess it all depends on who is buying them. If you sell your gold and there is diamonds in them they will not give you anything for the diamonds. So make sure you take them out before you sell.

Pus I have not had very good luck on a decent price on my diamonds. I still have them and I will hold on them until I have some nice ones and proably have a nice ring made for my daughter.....Matt

I hear what you're sayin'.

Imagine a commercial that goes something like this:

"Are you going to sell your old, broken and unwanted jewelry? Be sure to remove the stones and contact us! We are buying those loose stones! Call 555-1212 STONES!"

Wish I had a little cash to play with...
Last time I thought like that(Wish I had a little cash to play with...)
was when "Google" was just startin' up.... :tongue3:

Best,
Scott

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I think people collect things for two reasons.
1- for beauty, to save them forever
2- for value, for security reasons, these items move in and out.

Diamonds and gold could fit either category depending on your personal image of the item.

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget that DeBeers has a near monopoly on the supply of diamonds. Supposedly they have tons of them locked up in vaults just to keep the price high. I would never view diamonds as a safe "investment."

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK.
From what I'm hearing, loose gemstones are generally percieved as worthless...
Do you have any you want to sell?

Scott

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
I have a 1/4 c you can have for postage and $1.00 if I can find it.

It's in the Junk Drawer some place. :tongue3:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Diamonds are far from worthless, but the profit lies in dealer to consumer transactions. I sold a 3ct. near perfect diamond to a jeweler for $5k even though I had been told it was worth at least $10k in an appraisal. It was the best offer I could Get. Diamonds appear to be a one way deal.

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AU24K said:
OK.
From what I'm hearing, loose gemstones are generally percieved as worthless...
Do you have any you want to sell?

Scott

No one is saying they are worthless. They are not a liquid investment and the supply is controlled mostly by one company.
The spread between the bid and the offer on a diamond is in the hundreds or thousands of dollars.
The spread between the bid and the offer on a share of stock traded on the NYSE is $0.01.
The spread between the bid and the offer on a one ounce Canadian Maple Leaf Gold coin is what? Maybe $10.00?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
But Larry, the stock value is written on the wind today, they don't even worry about the paper any more and unless you are on the inside, that gold price split is a little wider!

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
But Larry, the stock value is written on the wind today, they don't even worry about the paper any more and unless you are on the inside, that gold price split is a little wider!

I have never traded gold coins, so I don't know exactly what the spread is. In large quantities I imagine the spread shrinks pretty quickly.
My point was all about liquidity. Every asset has a value that rises and falls.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I was told by a good jeweler friend of mine, "In general, when it comes to cut diamond values these are the two main factors you need to know. First, what is the quality of the diamond? And second, if it's not at least a 1/2ct then don't expect them to hold any real value unless they are rare in color." Since then I've found he was pretty accurate. It takes a pretty exceptional diamond to hold any real value by itself.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Frankn said:
I would take gold anytime.
Anyone can test gold with acid or the electronic tester.
When it comes to diamonds, you have to be an expert. You have to understand color, clarity, flaws, cut, etc. etc. and it's all based on our conotation of the subject.
I can change gold into any shape from nuggets to bars to sell it.
Diamonds, what you have is it. and they are now burning serial numbers in to diamonds.
I can sell gold any where. Did you ever try to sell a diamond? I did and it ain't easy and you loose big every time.
My opinions for what there worth.
P.S. The rat post was a joke. A little off color but normal for T-net. sorry!

Just to add a little, Diamonds and other precious stones can be tested by a simple electronic device that measures known conductivity just like with Gold or other precious metals.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
You learn something new every day. I have always considered glass the perfect insulator and diamonds as very hard glass. I didn't know you could get a conductive reading on glass. Maybe they are a high order of semiconductor like silicone.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Diamonds are made from Carbon. Carbon is a conductor. Glass is made from Silicon and other materials.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
A nagging question in the back of my cob webbed mind. Can you flatten a diamond with a hammer like you can with gold? Or will it shatter into many smaller diamonds :tongue3:?.......NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread