Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: ***STRANGE FACTS THAT MOST DON'T KNOW

Sky Pilot said:
Here is a bit more neat gun/ammo information.

Everyone has heard the expression "Don't go off half cocked" but few realize how it came about, and this is how:
To load a muzzle loader, flintlock or percussion cap, the hammer is pulled back to "half cocked" position in order to prevent an accidental firing or dropping of the hammer.
Pulling the trigger will not drop the hammer for it must be at "full cock" to engage the trigger mechanism.
Obviously you wouldn't want to get into a fight with the gun "half cocked", because it wouldn't fire!
Thus the meaning and origin of "Don't go off half cocked".

Oh boy, I once had to debunk this little gem in the past... So here you go !! Also note, you will not see this in the pages of Guns & Ammo either :laughing7:

You did pay attention in school, but unfortunately they taught you wrong. Again, this is another fine example of a reincarnation of a saying.. You mean there was another?? Of course there was, so pull up a chair, I'm gonna learn you something.

Believe it, or not, this story goes back to the biblical days of none other than King Solomon. I am sure that you have heard the following in regards to Solomon's wisdom

In one account, known as the Judgment of Solomon, two women came before Solomon to resolve a quarrel about which was the true mother of a baby. One mother had her baby die in the night after rolling over it in her sleep and crushing it; each claims the surviving child as her own. When Solomon suggests dividing the living child in two with a sword, the true mother is revealed to him because she is willing to give up her child to the lying woman, as heartbreaking a decision as it is. Solomon then declares the woman who shows compassion to be the true mother, and gives the baby back to her.

King Solomon held court weekly, where people would settle their disputes through his great wisdom. It wasn't even an hour after the above judgment that gave birth to "Don't go off 1/2 cocked" Shocked

It was the story of two warring merchants that both laid claim to a prize winning stud rooster. Spunky, the roosters actual name was legendary in his ability to impregnate other chickens. After hearing the 2 me argue about ownership, Solomon leaned over and said, I am sure the 2 of you were here when I made the judgment on the baby. I am tired of your foolishness and I will cut that SOB in 1/2 if you men can't agree. So I suggest that you "don't go off 1/2 cocked".

Now you again have the true meaning... :headbang:

It's a shame that it seems I am only privy to the truth, but not to worry, I will gladly share on my knowledge and enlighten all of you

Spartacus53 has spoken :tongue3:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

Sometimes i think you're actually living "one flew over the cuckoo's nest" mate lol!
spartacus53 said:
USTiger said:
The invasion of Denmark lasted less than six hours and was the shortest military campaign conducted by the Germans during WWII.

Now for a Dane i am almost ashamed of that fact lol

USTiger

Don't feel ashamed, they came when everyone was sleeping :tongue3:

Denmarks largest "wet dream"? ;D

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Sky Pilot: Very informative but I would like to make one adjustment. The .410 cartridge is actually .45. The slugs for the shotgun are .410. I have a Texas Defender that shoots .45 colt or .410 . Warning: this gun is made with a long chamber to accomadate the .410. Don't try this in guns not made to take both cartridges.

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II

Thanks Sky Pilot, I appreciate it.
Thank you to Spartacus and Frankn too, and everyone else as well. I think I've learned more facts, MD techniques and just good info off of reading these threads than I have almost anywhere else. Everytime I log in I learn something new or have something new to either think about or look up for myself. Thanks guys ( and gals). :notworthy:

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

Frankn said:
Sky Pilot: Very informative but I would like to make one adjustment. The .410 cartridge is actually .45. The slugs for the shotgun are .410. I have a Texas Defender that shoots .45 colt or .410 . Warning: this gun is made with a long chamber to accomadate the .410. Don't try this in guns not made to take both cartridges.

I have a Judge that does too, Frankn!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

Tony66 said:
Thanks Sky Pilot, I appreciate it.
Thank you to Spartacus and Frankn too, and everyone else as well. I think I've learned more facts, MD techniques and just good info off of reading these threads than I have almost anywhere else. Everytime I log in I learn something new or have something new to either think about or look up for myself. Thanks guys ( and gals). :notworthy:

You're welcome for my part, Tony66! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Heck, anyone that thinks they "know it all" has got major trouble coming!

SkyPilot

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden

A little known fact...
Michael Jackson is Dead...
Whenever I go to supermarket and see 6+ magazines covers featuring his pasty white face I wonder if any one knows...
The Queen is Dead..get over it..
HH,Mont

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Hay Mont. look how long Elvis "lived" after he died! The more money they made, the slower they die. You know why? It's to keep the residuals coming in! There estate is still making money from the gullible!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

I wish they'd stick with Elvis then!!!

I never liked mj when he was livin' and think less of 'im now.

S

stefen

packerbacker said:
Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine
All polar bears are left handed

A Penquin has never been eaten by a Polar Bear :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions