Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If anyone is interested in seeing how this scam is played out follow this post. This is a typical rip-off that is popping up all over craigslist. I happen to be searching for a camper and I will add a series of my email correspondence as it occurs. Please do not email the seller and tip them off just yet. http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/for/1906810836.html

1997 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ - $2800 (south florida)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-08-18, 11:22PM EDT
Reply to: see below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driver’s Seat : Driver’s Door, Power Heated Mirrors, Cruise Control, Tilt Wheel, Sun Visors, 19.5 Tires (Some Cracking Showing), HWH Leveling Jacks, Side Window Shades, Tow Skirt, Chevy 454 7.4L Vortec 7400 V8 SFI 290 Horse Power L29 Engine, Onan Emerald Plus 5000 GenSet Generator, Spare Tire & Carrier Cabin Comforts : Flexsteel Furniture in Great Condition, 2 A/C Units, Fluorescent Lighting, AM/FM/Cass Stereo, Night Shades on All Windows, Front Windshield Wrap Curtain Kitchen : Microwave, Stove with Oven, Refrigerator/Freezer, Plenty of Storage Cabinets Bathroom : Shower with Sliding Curtain/Screen Door, Skylight, Exhaust Fan, Porcelain Toilet, Oversized Wardrobe Cabinets Bedroom : Walk Around Queen Bed, Under Bed Storage, Night Stand on each side, Folding Door for Privacy, TV Hookup, A/C Control For any additional questions I can be reached at : [email protected]

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
camper Reply |bigcypresshunter to meli.gr1970
show details 12:31 AM (1 hour ago)

I need a camper for work very soon. Where are you located in South Florida? I would like to see it if its nearby. I am in Hollywood. Thanks.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
1997 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ
InboxX

[email protected]oading...12:47 AM (52 minutes ago)

Reply |[email protected] to me
show details 12:47 AM (52 minutes ago)

Hello Dale, (bigcypresshunter)

Thank you for your interest in buying our RV. I'm selling it for $2,800. I wanted to keep the RV but me and my husband left the city for a better job in L.A., so we decided to sell it. The RV is in showroom condition, no mechanical problems, never involved in any type of accident and the mileage is 46,150.It has a clear title and it will come with a new set of tires.We will use eBay Vehicle Purchase protection to secure this transaction.

Here is a link with the pictures:
http://s928.photobucket.com/home/1997-Winnebago-Adventurer-34RQ/recentuploads?view=slideshow

If you are interested please email me back.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I sent an email back telling her I was interested. ;D
Stay tune for her response.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Craigslist ads can vanish so quickly, it's good to do a screengrab for something like this. Click on it to make bigger.

Attachments

• 1997 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ.jpg
    1997 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 502

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Oh your good Dale......I'm watching this one :thumbsup:

Sometimes I can be naive.....Explain to us how this a scam please

$2800.00 ? 28k would be a good deal for this one. If it sounds too good to be true..............

We will use eBay Vehicle Purchase protection to secure this transaction.

That's fishy too. Waiting on the outcome of this one.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings,
A few years back, I came across a craigslist ad for MY house for rent!
While working in my yard, a couple approached me asking if this was the house for rent on Craigslist, I said 'What???' they tell me they wanted to look before sending the check.
so of course I hit craigslist, & there it was
It gave my address in New Castle NH, with a lot of correct details, (Had my house listed for sale at the time, not on craigslist, and the house was not occupied), had Fake pic of the interior only, I contacted them saying I was interested, got reply from the 'owner' stating that he was away on business, and would gladly take 1st,last,&deposit by bank check,
& I should hurry cause there were many interested parties, i told him the check wouldbe on it's way immediately, (to a mailbox etc address I discovered), notified C-list, who did nothing but remove the ad.
The Audacity! I guess there are people who fall for this obvious scam, or they wouldn't be doing them, I dislike becoming jaded, but it seems you have to watch every step these days, Good day to all, Herbie
(saved the pic they used, Below:

Attachments

• SCAM AD PHOTO.jpg
    SCAM AD PHOTO.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 705

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
Interesting...I've tried to purchase a New Holland tractor on craigslist...found several adds listed in the AZ area but the owner was always from TX or back east...the price was always $2800...It's a $20K tractor. Same thing, item is located in a different state etc... I wonder what the significance of $2800 is...

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye Cypress :thumbsup: Obviously a come-on ad. That camper should be worth AT LEAST $15 - $20,000.

This happens ALL THE TIME here in the NY & NJ area. Apartments in Manhattan for example are hot, prime property. Especially for visiting students, aspiring performers, etc. So, some creep will post a fake apartment ad in all of the cities on craigslist throughout the country. They will then take a deposit on the unit from several parties. The people who gave the deposit now think they are the new occupants of a fabulous NYC apartment. When they get here however, they are in the shock of their lives.

The reason for the low price is two-fold. First, the scammers choose a smaller amount so as not to raise any "red flags" at the bank. In and out is the way they like it. Secondly, by making it SUCH a shockingly low price, most people will jump at the deal (sometimes sight unseen) so they don't miss the "opportunity".

The scammers are almost impossible to catch since most are from some far-away foreign country, or, they know how to encrypt their IP addresses and computer ID. They also know how to pick-up the money at the banks virtually undetected as well.

I've used craigslist a few times to either buy or sell something. It really is a GREAT site. However, as with anything else, let the buyer beware. Always, always, always, and I repeat again, A-L-W-A-Y-S deal LOCAL ONLY on any transaction done over craigslist.

When interested in a larger or more expensive purchase, DO NOT deal with anyone that just wants to correspond through email. You want to speak with a real, live person with a local number to where you are. Or, next best thing if they are in another state would be to have a friend or relative visit the poster if they happen to live in the same place. Also, ALWAYS use a check for larger purchases as well. If you use cash or even a money order, the scammers can cash these very easily and NOT be tracked. If you use a check however, there is at least a good percentage you will be might be able to trace the scammers steps :thumbsup:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, had the same type of conversation with someone selling a VERY nice Acura for $3,000.
He explained that it was part of a divorce settlement that he was selling because he didn't need it anymore... but he was a pilot and up in Canada, so there was no way for anyone to even view the car. He said the same thing that he would sell it through eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection. Well that sounded pretty legit until he responded back the second time to my inquiry. In that second response he asked for my personal information to get things set up through ebay and get the transaction in order. I completely backed down and didn't respond back to him because my information is already on my ebay account and paypal account, so he "should" have had the car up for sale already with ebay and provided ME the information to make the purchase. Again, I NEVER trust giving out my personal information if it's not to a legit merchant. I never responded back.

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
godisnum1 said:
Yep, had the same type of conversation with someone selling a VERY nice Acura for $3,000.
He explained that it was part of a divorce settlement that he was selling because he didn't need it anymore... but he was a pilot and up in Canada, so there was no way for anyone to even view the car. He said the same thing that he would sell it through eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection. Well that sounded pretty legit until he responded back the second time to my inquiry. In that second response he asked for my personal information to get things set up through ebay and get the transaction in order. I completely backed down and didn't respond back to him because my information is already on my ebay account and paypal account, so he "should" have had the car up for sale already with ebay and provided ME the information to make the purchase. Again, I NEVER trust giving out my personal information if it's not to a legit merchant. I never responded back.

Bran <><

they will also tell you that the Item is already placed in a container ready for shipping and that you can not look at the item until you receive it...that the ebay protection will give you your money back if you are not satisfied....they place those adds in Texas all the time...item usually is in Florida...when I say sister lives in Florida and will come over to look at it they say sorry, it is in a container and unavailable to look at. I tell them sorry money is in a container and they can not look at it until the item I would like to see is on my driveway...LOL

That's essentially what he told me... in so many words...

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind guys, it also happens when you sell an item as well. Normally on more expensive items, but, it can be anything really. The way it works is like this...

You're selling your car for $4,500. The buyer contacts you and tells you he wants it - sight unseen. They then tell you they will send either a check or money order for the price you posted. Once you get the check or money order, it is for an amount greater than what you asked for, say $6,500 as an example. The buyer will then tell you they made a mistake on the amount and will ask you to send them the difference as soon as possible. So...

Being an upright and honest citizen, you will then make out a check or money order of your own to cover the "mistaken" overage payment and send it to the buyer. They sometimes also ask if you can wire the difference as there is no delay in getting the funds and no possibility of a stopped check by you. You'll then deposit the buyer's check or money order. Then...

You get a call call a few days later saying the check bounced or there was insufficient funds to cover the transaction. So, you got duped. Hopefully, you didn't send the item yet either or you got double-duped :help:

Be careful folks :sign13:

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Heres the response today, but Im not sure I should toy with this person.

[email protected] to me
show details 10:13 AM (37 minutes ago)

i can let the price down at $2500.
- Show quoted text -

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
texastee2007 said:
..please tell me you didn't type in the information it asked for to reply to the add...they are grabbing your log in information..make sure you clean your computer!!!
I hope not. I have given you all the links.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Heres an email from last week. ...another Craigslist. I didnt even realize it was a scam at the time.. the pictures are already gone.

1992 Fleetwood FLAIR CLASS A RV
InboxX

Reply |jessica malone to me
show details Aug 5 (13 days ago)

Hello Dale,

Thank you for your interest in buying our motorhome.First let me tell you a few words about it,it's in perfect shape,no scratches,no damage,and it has never been involved in any type of accident.It has a clear title,free of any liens or loans on it, and the mileage is 70,324.It comes with a new set of tires.
As I`m pregnant and in about a month I will give birth to a beautiful little girl,me and my husband have decided to sell some of our stuff to get some money to rent a bigger apartment.We are selling it for only $2,700, because that's the amount we need to pay the loan we already contracted to get the apartment(we need more room for the little one) and hope to get the money in a few days so we are trying to pull up a quick sale.We will be using eBay's services for the safety of this transaction.
If you have any more questions please don`t hesitate to reply.
Below there's a link where you can find the pics.

http://s983.photobucket.com/home/1992FleetwoodFLAIRCLASSA/recentuploads?view=slideshow

Thank you,
Jessica & Mike Malone

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense to you Cypress, but, you're just wasting your time. I know you're trying to do the right thing and ensnare this piece of garbage conman, however, it's going to be virtually impossible. Just write it off and move on.

Honestly, even if you DID find out a few facts about the seller, etc. and reported it to the authorities, 99% of the time they don't follow up on it. Why? For starters, they are besieged with this type of stuff everyday. Just not enough time on their hands to chase after every slickster. Unfortunate, but true.

Also, if there was no transaction, techically speaking there was no crime. So, nothing the authorities can do...even if they wanted to.

Finally, the authorities know fully well most of these scammers are in Nigeria, etc. So, it would fall out of the jurisdiction of your local police station or FBI office.

Unless you were taken for a very large amount, say over $5,000, there is very little that law enforcement can do.

At least you spread the word so other people can be aware. You can even call your local station house and do the same. But, don't expect a major investigation.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
njnydigger said:
No offense to you Cypress, but, you're just wasting your time. I know you're trying to do the right thing and ensnare this piece of garbage conman, however, it's going to be virtually impossible. Just write it off and move on.
Ive decided not to fool with them but Im going to post this latest one because the scam is a bit different and the price more believable.
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/rvs/1894455922.html

Maria Windle to me
show details Aug 17 (1 day ago)

It's still for sale but before i start answering your questions, i`ll have to let you know that i left town a few days ago because i have to help my daughter organize her wedding, and i may stay here a while, but this is no problem because i`ll sell it through Liberty Consignment Stores. I guess you used Liberty Consignment Stores before, if you didn`t let me know because i met people that never used it and i will explain how it works in detail. Also let me know if you have other questions. Thank you
Maria

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread