Captured: America In Color from 1939-1943

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Pic 4&5 brought back some memories.In the mid 50's I was stationed at Limestone/Caribou Maine.They only had about 2 weeks to harvest the potatos before they would freeze.Several of us airmen and spouses helped to pick them by hand.That barrel they were dumping into is a 250lb barrel and we were paid 25 cents for each barrel we filled.That equates to one dollar for every 1000 lbs picked.

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
warsawdaddy, that is nice that you could relate to them. Sometimes those old long-forgotten times are interesting to ponder over
and relive a little of your life as it happened way-back-when. Your wages then sounds about like about what I made back in
the late 50's. LOL. But we were glad to get them at that time.

Thank you for your interesting comment.

Ray

S

Smee

Great pics. They deserve a bump . . .

You know, they make me think of how much I wish we could go back to Mayberry and simpler times :hello:

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
To Dan, dpitt8, and diggin the Past, Thank you for you replies, even though I am a little slow
at saying so.

Smee, Thank you for bumping it up, that was nice of you. I agree, and I think that people appreciated
what they had more. It seems now that the whole world is carrying the electronics and High-Tech
stuff way too far. And I know that probably 95% (and probably more) people would disagree with
me on that point. I have had problems with the automatic window and door controls on cars and trucks.
That can be very frustrating, to say the least. LOL.

Ray

S

Smee

Ray S S said:
Smee, Thank you for bumping it up, that was nice of you. I agree, and I think that people appreciated
what they had more. It seems now that the whole world is carrying the electronics and High-Tech
stuff way too far. And I know that probably 95% (and probably more) people would disagree with
me on that point. I have had problems with the automatic window and door controls on cars and trucks.
That can be very frustrating, to say the least. LOL.

Ray

Hi Ray: It was my pleasure, because I sure missed it the first time around.

Since there hasn't been much going on here, I decided to look around and see where we had been.

I love high tech, it has its place . . . but I'd sure like to be able to sit down with Andy and Floyd at the barbershop and pass the time.

Would have been nice back then, and still would be a great day to me.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Beautiful pic's of days gone by. Not much call for childrens shoe leather in pie town NM. Couldn't help smiling at all the kids totally black feet, lol. Probably "majestic days" for them when they were thinking back when they got old. A much harder life in those days, filled with many wonderful memories...something i believe kids of today will never know. Sad really.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread