The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many things are contributing to the perceived increase. It seems that decreased polar ice weight and global temps may be involved. More people/instruments/satellites in more places to observe these phenomenon is another reason.

http://maps.grida.no/go/graphic/trends-in-natural-disasters

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/eqstats.php

http://www.earth.webecs.co.uk/

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/02/28/1504560/does-this-mean-earthquake-frequency.html

http://www.continuitycentral.com/news05251.html

OP
OP
BloodyBelle

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
Is it a question of perception? We've had some biggies. Pakistan. The Mother of tsunamis. Thinking now, maybe I should just turn the news off.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EQ's are increasing too, just not as much as weather related phenomenon.

Attachments

• did_trends.jpg
    did_trends.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 172
OP
OP
BloodyBelle

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
The Beep Goes On said:
EQ's are increasing too, just not as much as weather related phenomenon.

I think the box under "trends" sums it up, except for the global warming part. I don't get he relationship between EQ's and weather.

Somewhere on the 'net there is a graphic of earthquakes per day. I think it's in the 100's. All over and all the time.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Waves vibrate the Earth. Temperature change varies wave intensity. Warming melts ice which reduces the weight on the mantle. The earth 'rebounds' when the weight is removed, sometimes by a large amount. There are other theories, but I think these are the two main ones.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been following these trends for a while now... and yes, things are changing and something is churning.
There are definitely more occurrences than ever before in history.

Bran <><

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
texastee is on to something. (textee, you and me together, who'd a thunk it?) Today's mass communications allow all the usually worldly problems to be seen at one time. It's a perception problem. In the past we did not know what was going on in the South Pacific and did not hear of disasters there. Same way everywhere else and with all kinds of natural disasters. Wars, floods, mass murder, now we see the ancient way of the world in living color and in real time. Nice place, huh?

Another thing about our ability to measure scientific data. We are getting much better at that too. See the chart of earth quake happenings? Notice how there is a direct correlation over 100 years with the advance in tremor collection devices and the total number of world quakes. This is no accident. As we get better at detecting from a long distance into faraway 3d world places, we see more quakes that have always occurred in a virtual vacuum with nobody to note them. Now we can. So it looks terrible. Like the world is getting worse. It's not getting worse. We just observe it in totality now.

When you stop looking for the boogie man, he goes away.

Old Town

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
godisnum1 said:
I've been following these trends for a while now... and yes, things are changing and something is churning.

Bran <><

Please take no offense to what I am saying. Its called evolution of the planet, this happens from time to time, don't create a straw-man fallacy when making the claim "Ever before in history", since there is data to prove this.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought this was an interesting way to show the geologic time-scale...

Attachments

• geo_clock_a.png
    geo_clock_a.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 143

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BttleDiggerDrew said:
godisnum1 said:

Bran <><

Please take no offense to what I am saying. Its called evolution of the planet, this happens from time to time, don't create a straw-man fallacy when making the claim "Ever before in history", since there is data to prove this.

No offense taken whatsoever... since evolution is nothing more than a theory, and an unproven one at that. Ever study up on mutations? Mutations in real life, opposed to those "explained" through evolution, lead towards greater randomness and not a structured order. Animals with multiple heads, organs, body parts, etc. never reproduce those character traits successfully through any specific species. There's good reason for that, as most mutations are nothing more than an error in a pre-defined growth pattern. Therefore, man or animal cannot "evolve" towards a greater complexity that is favorable to them. If they can, why do you not see certain "evolution" characteristics in people with mutations being passed on from generation to generation? The same can be said for the planet "evolving" into something better... it's simply running its course (life), nothing more.

Anyway, speaking of "straw-man fallacy"... what is the "data" that you spoke of that proves your stance on this?

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread