Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Let's talk OIL

I stopped using oil several months ago, and no longer fry food. I found broiling, or baking will be much kinder to my arteries. ;D

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

I think that there has been a push lately to create more battery driven cars... so, perhaps they know something we don't know? hmmmm.... At least we can still buy liquor that'll run in a lawnmower.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"Does anyone think we could live with out it and not change your present lifestyle?"

No, and no.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

DigginThePast said:
"Does anyone think we could live with out it and not change your present lifestyle?"

No, and no.

Good point, but the word "live without" is subject. I would survive on grubs if I had too. All I need is a good knife, a stream that's good for fish, and an open prairie so I can see the enemy coming.
Post Apocalypse is not a joke... it just might come to fruition. We will never know. Am I prepared? Yes. Will I give shelter and protein to a fellow traveler in the waste land? Yes. ...as I would expect most people to do for me too.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

The problem is, most people just think GAS & LUBE today most plastics and most fabrics are made from oil. Those battery powerer cars are made with a lot of plastic and are powered indirectly with oil. they even roll on plastic.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

As we trend toward overpopulation and mass over consumption of resources... no, human beings are selfish & inherently lazy so it'll never happen.

Stephen Hawking on computer viruses:

"Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive"

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Frankn is more than correct. Without oil there would be no computers, no internet. Very few medicines and no plastics to speak of. The list of things that originate from crude oil includes most of what we use and consume on a daily basis. If the product is not made from some oil product, the vehicle that delivered it to your local store was powered by oil products, and on and on.

Picture life before the Industrial Age started around 1840 or so. That's what you'd have.

Old Town

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mikeofaustin said:
DigginThePast said:

No, and no.

Good point, but the word "live without" is subject. I would survive on grubs if I had too. All I need is a good knife, a stream that's good for fish, and an open prairie so I can see the enemy coming.
Post Apocalypse is not a joke... it just might come to fruition. We will never know. Am I prepared? Yes. Will I give shelter and protein to a fellow traveler in the waste land? Yes. ...as I would expect most people to do for me too.

Yes, many could actually live without oil. But, how many really want to go back that far in terms of the comfort and convenience that has been afforded to us by oil. I'd like to see energy alternatives to oil that would help maintain our standard of living but I don't think we will see anything viable until the oil deposits are truly about to be used up. Corporations will decide this.

Apocalypse? Yup, could happen. But consider the number of people that inhabit Earth now compared to the pre-industrial age. Except for remote areas most fish and game would disappear quickly. There would be a heavy onslaught by those that did nothing to prepare and many probably would face the decision of taking a life versus their own survival. Not a pretty sight. Those that would survive would be the ones that mounted a horse early enough and headed for a remote area with survival skills and the necessary equipment which would be limited to what they could carry.

I'd like to think that I would be one of the survivors but care not to find out. :thumbsup:

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Diggin, I happen to believe like you that change will only occur once the oil reserves are truly gone. This will not happen on a hard date. There will be a decade to see it coming and then, and only then, will you see true initiative in alternatives. This won't happen for several generations. I'm not sweating it.

OT

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oil is Awsome :headbang:

I Just hate the prices

Even Synthetic oil is made from Oil :D

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

OK
Lets start in the beginning. Where does oil come from? I once asked my geology Prof. where oil came from. His reply was the earth is constantly making oil. It is a slow chemical reaction driven by heat and pressure. In other words it probably will not run out!
NOW
Oil will probably always be use. The only thing to stop is the burning of oil.
Solar,wind,tide and other chemical reactions will be used for power once they are prefected.
FUTURE
I don't see any big changes in the future except the taming of the oil cartel which has screwed up the world economy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread