• AngelGuardian.jpg
    AngelGuardian.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,522

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Re: So I was looking up my orphanage because I wasn't depressed enough when...

Belle, no doubt the orphan trains did some good for many but I always think of them as delivering slaves to sadistic farmers out west. The kids had little choice, it was a tough time to be parentless.

OT

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My older brother, a next-youngest brother and I spent some time time at St Joseph's orphanage in Green Bay, WI. It's a world most have no idea existed. If you want to get drunk with me sometime, I'll tell you all about it. I recently lost that older brother and he was the only other person I could talk to about it. The younger brother was too young to remember. I know too well what you're talking about belle. :-\

OP
OP
BloodyBelle

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010

PM me if you like, PackerBacker. I am sorry about your loss. Can you find a pic of the place?

OldTown, there's never a good time to be parentless, unless you have horrible parents.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Belle, I think you are right about there not being any good time to be without.

OT

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's bad to say, but some folks don't deserve to be parents. I was in the foster parent program in Oklahoma for awhile. My involvement got others in my community involved. (I know, it's hard to imagine me as a role model, but I tried to be.) Most of the kids they sent to us were 'throwaways'. Most of the ones we had were not allowed visitation with their parents. We had one young man whose mom was finally allowed to visit him. He claimed not to care for her, but he really was kind of lookin forward to this visit. We waited and waited, and she never showed up. He took it like all the rest of the stuff he'd put up with, but it was tough for me. That day just really sucked.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes belle, I have some pics of the outside of the place but I don't know why I keep them. It's the inside of the place that I remember most. We weren't there very long, maybe 3 months, but you don't have to be in a place like that very long for it to leave a lasting impression on you. My older brother and I were going to run away from the place but our younger brother was kept in a different building and we weren't going to leave him there by himself. Couldn't figure out how to get him out of there. These memories kinda hurt.

OP
OP
BloodyBelle

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
packerbacker said:
Yes belle, I have some pics of the outside of the place but I don't know why I keep them. It's the inside of the place that I remember most. We weren't there very long, maybe 3 months, but you don't have to be in a place like that very long for it to leave a lasting impression on you. My older brother and I were going to run away from the place but our younger brother was kept in a different building and we weren't going to leave him there by himself. Couldn't figure out how to get him out of there. There memorys kinda hurt.

I sent the pic to my "sister" the other day and said the exact thing about remembering the inside very well. My memories of the place are peculiar, they are like watching a movie with absolutely no sound. Isn't that odd? I was also of pre-potty trained age which makes these vivid memories notable as well.

Those months you were there must have been hell. How old were y'all?

This all got started the other night while listening to a tune by Leonard Cohen--"Sisters of Mercy." That was the order that ran the joint.

There's one memory I reflected on these last couple of days: It had snowed. A non-nun woman gathered us in a circle under the window. She made a snowball and we were to hold it then pass it on to the next waif. When it got to me I 'threw' it, which is what you're supposed to do with a snowball, right? :dontknow: I knew full damn well what I was doing and that it was a no-no and I did it anyway.*

The rebel was made. :hello:

*I got a finger wag for that one.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were about 9, 7 and 4. They kept the youngest of us in a different building due to his age. I know what you mean about "no sound" just visions. I remember being in there for Easter. We all got a bunny made out of stale-tasting popcorn balls. You can call me a liar all you want but those that wanted to could work in the fields. At that time I think we were picking the winter crop of beans. We got paid off in candy. Remember the smooshie orange-colored candy shaped like a peanut? That's what I got paid in. They still make them.
I remember taking some baths, don't remember how often, but we took them with another kid in the tub while a nun would watch. Nuns also watched us at the urinals.
I remember a local tv personality for a children's show came by once and talked to a bunch of us. His character name was Colonel Caboose.
Hmmmmmmm.......I better ease up on the Coronas and lime. Great talking to you Belle!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread