spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how many of you grew up in the NY/NJ/CT area, but in the 60's we had a little amusement park called Freedomland. This was a at the time one of the forerunners of today's large theme parks. Not only did this park offer some great rides, but it was steeped in history.

This park offered several themed areas that were dedicated to old NY, Chicago, The west and Civil War, with a few others. It was one amazing park to see when you were a youngster :icon_thumleft:

I'm still trying to figure out why they named it freedomland when you had to pay for everything :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, the tittle is like magic's slight of hand, but for the mind :tongue3:

Bronxville :laughing7:: that is closer to Eastchester than it is to the Bronx :laughing7:

The park had a short run from 1960 until maybe 1965.. not really sure. It was huge, all built on a dump of landfill :laughing7:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still trying to figure out why they named it freedomland when you had to pay for everything icon_scratch Guess you didn"t notice the 2 words FREE and DUM. If you couldn't figure how to sneak in, you could have been the latter :laughing9: :laughing9:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived on West 136th street in Manhattan back then. You could look across the Hudson River into New Jersey and see Palisades Amusement Park. Went there and Cony Island pretty regular. I think we went to a place called Freedom Land but don't remember for sure.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was funny about those parks... By the late 50' early 60's Coney Island was on the decline. Freedomland was built as a NY alternative. And yes, that pesky little park on the NJ cliff didn't help Freedomland either :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread