Any RVers out there?

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Re: Any RV'ers out there?

What do you have? '97 Damon Daybreak 34 foot & 8 ft Starcraft slide-in truck camper on F-350 SD Crew Cab
how often do you travel? Nowhere near often enough (5-6 trips / year)
How long do you stay? Weekends up to 3 or 4 days, a week or so every other year
What are your favorite parks? National Forest campgrounds. Objective: fishing & quiet
Are there any other's that also have the same idea when you get there? Definately

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 195
OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Diggemall said:
What do you have? '97 Damon Daybreak 34 foot & 8 ft Starcraft slide-in truck camper on F-350 SD Crew Cab
how often do you travel? Nowhere near often enough (5-6 trips / year)
How long do you stay? Weekends up to 3 or 4 days, a week or so every other year
What are your favorite parks? National Forest campgrounds. Objective: fishing & quiet
Are there any other's that also have the same idea when you get there? Definately

Wonderful. Would you say that, if you didn't have the obligation of going to work 5 days a week, you would be there full time? I'm thinking, after reading about 'full-timers' that they are able to do so because they don't have the need to stay in one city. SO, if you 'could' full time it, and still get enough money to make your parks fee's (s/e/w), would you do it full time? I guess what I'm saying is, is your bed in the RV comfortable enough, and if you could, would you full time it?
edit: what is that on the hind end of your rv?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

There are two types of RVers, campers and travelers. Campers usually go to one spot and,well, camp for a weekend or week. It is peacefull, restfull and a pleasant break from the usual. Travelers usually go longer distances and see more places in any trip. I am a traveler. I might take off for a month and drive 600miles a day driving across the USA. I stop for meals and to sleep in rest areas or Wall Marts or Flying-Js or Loves. I have a tentative destination like the Jan. Quartsite gathering & shows, or maybe Yellowstone Park, Or the Slabs near the Salton Sea "Niland,Cal". My destination might change as I travel. I might make many spur of the moment side trips. I can only last app.30 days on the road before home sickness sets in. In my point of view, it is the only way to travel. No reservations, no time limits, instant changes allowed, no packing on the road, Meals any time- any place. I equate it to being a modern day part time Gypsy.
I drive a 22 1/2' Xplorer Xcursion class c MH. It is on a Dodge 3500 pickup chassis beefed up to 12000 pound cap. It is powered by a 305HP Cummings diesel and has 4wheel drive. It has been down jeep trails. It has worked it's way back to GPAA gold claims. It is custom built to my specs.

If you want to go full time, join the Good Sam club. If you are single join Loaners On Wheels "LOW". I belong to both. It is utter freedom!
P.S. Note the tag, It helps avoid parking tickets. And I cover the VIN #

Attachments

• 500MH.jpg
    500MH.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 156
  • MN500.jpg
    MN500.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 144

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

Wonderful. Would you say that, if you didn't have the obligation of going to work 5 days a week, you would be there full time? I'm thinking, after reading about 'full-timers' that they are able to do so because they don't have the need to stay in one city. SO, if you 'could' full time it, and still get enough money to make your parks fee's (s/e/w), would you do it full time? I guess what I'm saying is, is your bed in the RV comfortable enough, and if you could, would you full time it?

Actually, we've considered it. If we sold pretty much everything and could get about a 6 or 7 % rate of return on the money invested, we could likely afford it. We're quite comfortable in the RV and love travelling / sightseeing / exploring. However, seven kids & seven grandkids settled in our immediate area would draw us back here quite often as well.

what is that on the hind end of your rv?

That, believe it or not, is a 14-ish foot jon boat, with a hand-cart to wheel it to the waters edge on............ The boat consists of three segments that are joined with long pins..... Seats slide in to 'keyed' attachments and the whole works fits in the space of the rear-most segment. We use an electric trolling motor and putz around fishing on (mostly smallish) inland lakes with it.
(Original sales brochure here: http://www.ziniamerica.com/boat/sport_boat.pdf - final version has slightly different specs)

Using a class A to launch / retrieve a large boat is risky business. (fishing trips that require a larger boat get the 19 foot cuddy cabin behind the F-350 / truck camper combo) I'm working on an intermediate solution that would be towable behind the RV ....14 - 16 ft deep vee aluminum boat that shares a trailer with an old John Deere garden tractor to launch & land it with......................

Diggem'

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 128

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a 26ft camper that I pull behid a Dodge 1500. I take two week long trips and I detect early morning and in the evenings. I try and to get away at least one weekend a month and do nothing but go detecting. I ether sleep in my car on the weekends or if I am close to someone that I know I stay with them......Matt

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn said:
There are two types of RVers, campers and travelers. Campers usually go to one spot and,well, camp for a weekend or week. It is peacefull, restfull and a pleasant break from the usual. Travelers usually go longer distances and see more places in any trip. I am a traveler. I might take off for a month and drive 600miles a day driving across the USA. I stop for meals and to sleep in rest areas or Wall Marts or Flying-Js or Loves. I have a tentative destination like the Jan. Quartsite gathering & shows, or maybe Yellowstone Park, Or the Slabs near the Salton Sea "Niland,Cal". My destination might change as I travel. I might make many spur of the moment side trips. I can only last app.30 days on the road before home sickness sets in. In my point of view, it is the only way to travel. No reservations, no time limits, instant changes allowed, no packing on the road, Meals any time- any place. I equate it to being a modern day part time Gypsy.
I drive a 22 1/2' Xplorer Xcursion class c MH. It is on a Dodge 3500 pickup chassis beefed up to 12000 pound cap. It is powered by a 305HP Cummings diesel and has 4wheel drive. It has been down jeep trails. It has worked it's way back to GPAA gold claims. It is custom built to my specs.

If you want to go full time, join the Good Sam club. If you are single join Loaners On Wheels "LOW". I belong to both. It is utter freedom!
P.S. Note the tag, It helps avoid parking tickets. And I cover the VIN #

Curious as to how your tag helps you avoid parking tickets...and covering the VIN number? Also, what type of miles per gallon do you get with that rig? Who built it for you custom? Thanks for the info! Randy

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

When they write a parking ticket they put NOPLATE where the plate number should be. I figure that when it is processed, they type in no plate and with no VIN backup it does not register with the computer. A computer whiz told me about it. He has NOTAG on his vehicle.
The MH is one of there stock shells With a fully equipped Dodge 3500 chassis beefed up to 12000 cap. and dual range 4 wheel drive. My extras include 6 cu. ft. frig. microwave conv. oven, flat screen TV with tape & DVD player, LP generator, roof air. auto retracting KiWi steps, tow package, Tilt wheel, cruise, adj peddles, 6 way seat, overhead trip computer, radio with cassett and CD plus 6 speakers, glass shower stall,etc. etc,
It get 14.5 mpg on the hgwy. at 60mph, 13.6 mpg on the hgwy. at 70. It rides as smooth as a loaded truck and can accelerate with most any traffic.
Now what you were nice enough not to ask. It cost $70k
I ordered it over the phone from the VP. Xplorer is owned by Frank Industries.
They are located in Michigan.
WWW.xplorermotorhome.com !-800-343-2771 [email protected]
The are trustworthy people and reasonable priced.
I know they build on Dodge or Ford chassis. Check them out.
Mine is an 05' Hope this helps, Frank

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very helpful and much appreciated! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread