spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say I was impressed, but the guy did have safety equipment :laughing7:

I think the only thing he was lacking is the common sense to climb on one of those things.. It's amazing to see someone doing that type of work. There isn't enough money in the world for me to even look into doing work like that.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK before i watch this who is doing the cleanup!!!! I do not like Heights!!!!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a chance! One thing I was curious about as I was watching the climb........the rungs just appeared to be iron, which will eventually rust, weaken, and..................No Way! Not a Chance! :laughing7:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Choice 1 I decided not to watch in full screen ( GREAT DECISION!!)

Choice 2 turn it off when he started looking at the ground over and over!!!!

No clean up needed!! I don't believe i watched that much of it!!!!!

F

Felinepeachy

I wonder how much they get paid? Can they even get life insurance?

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
I wonder how much they get paid? Can they even get life insurance?

I know a guy from many years back. That certainly isn't no $10 an hour job! He makes something like $60-$80 an hour because not many people would do climb towers much less ones that tall. They have to do the maintenance on the ones on top of the Sears Tower once a year. They have to do it in the wee hours of the morning between 1am and 5am. They shut down the microwave dishes and the only time they can shut it down is during those times during off peak hours. Of course when they do that he said it gets pretty darn cold sometimes. He was on the show, "How do they do that" and that was one of the things they covered.

I would do it, but I would have to wear a parachute, just for the simple fact of climbing up and not wanting to spend my time climbing back down. Being I am a parachutists and I was into base jumping at one time, that would definitely make me want to do it again and the only way I could climb it!!

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
The height would not bother me. I think the distance straight up would wear me out. Once you're above 100 feet or so it matters not how much higher you go. You won't fall any faster. Such a climb I think would be challenging at my age but not scary.

Spiders on the rungs would make it scary for me. Spiders make me tinkle myself.

OT

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
I though my climb up this 14'er(hence my username :D) was scary. Take my word for it, its a lot bigger that it seems. In the second pic, im near the top of of the snow gully in the first picNo way I would do what he is doing!!!! :-[

Attachments

• k 024.JPG
    k 024.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 179
  • words.jpg
    words.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 140

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Did you notice the 'safety helmets' being worn ? All they would be good for was if you slipped WHILE being tied off, you wouldn't
bang your head while swinging back & forth on the end of the rope. Life insurance - unlikely . At one time I worked at heights (only
up to maybe 150') working around energized power lines & was told by 2 major insurance companies they would not insure me OR if
they would , I'd be far better off just putting money aside every month. If I was a logger climbing out west, ok, but not climbing &
working around transmission lines. Actually, his climb wasn't much more than 100 feet, it's just the idea he started at 1600 ' .
Nowadays, hats off to those guys - they deserve the money. You can do this work for years & one day just freeze up. Seen it happen.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Anyone ever climb a ladder for half an hour? If must take that long to do such a tower. I don't think I could pull myself up for such a long time. As a kid, sure. But not now. That's hard work.

OT

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its not the fall that bothers me Its the sudden STOP!!!! Plus I would pass out watching the ground comming up faster and faster!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread