The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

Is anyone doing any Android app development? I've gotten myself set up with the dev tools and the necessary accounts to create and upload apps to be automatically made available to every Android user on the planet.

All it's going to take is a well-implemented good idea. Isn't that always the case? Very excited by what I've seen so far. It's all Java based and the dev tools write the bulk of the support code.

I was also wondering if any of you had any 'killer' app ideas you might like to share? I have plenty to keep me going, but always looking for good ideas.

Attachments

• android-logo.jpg
    android-logo.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 268
S

Smee

Something to help track down the deadbeats who have all gone to cellphones so that it is a bit harder to track them down.

Maybe I could put in a name and old address and get me a phone number and new addy so I can go visit 'em.

Leave 'em sitting on the floor like Japanese people because I'll take back all the furniture they didn't pay for. :coffee2:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smee said:
Something to help track down the deadbeats who have all gone to cellphones so that it is a bit harder to track them down.

Maybe I could put in a name and old address and get me a phone number and new addy so I can go visit 'em.

Leave 'em sitting on the floor like Japanese people because I'll take back all the furniture they didn't pay for. :coffee2:

The agreement forbids any type of hacking or underhandedness, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't write an app and load it directly on your phone and use all of the phones capabilities and resources to achieve the task. I'm not sure if such an "unauthorized package" would successfully interface with legitimate apps and sites/services, but who knows...

"There's an app for that"

S

Smee

Ehh...! They sure do share between companies when someone skips out on their agreeement with Verizon and goes to ATT or whoever.

So, they don't care who steals what as long as they get paid, all others be darned!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this was about building your own androids, like the one on "Lost in Space" :tongue3:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
I thought this was about building your own androids, like the one on "Lost in Space" :tongue3:

Lol...I'm sure the OS could be, and is, used in robotics, but I don't know for certain.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
Lol...I'm sure the OS could be, and is, used in robotics, but I don't know for certain.

Thanks Beep... Now, here is your assignment, find out for certain and report back to me ;D I need to know this because I want to build a friend, real people just don't like me. :tongue3:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
The Beep Goes On said:

Thanks Beep... Now, here is your assignment, find out for certain and report back to me ;D I need to know this because I want to build a friend, real people just don't like me. :tongue3:

But, I thought you WERE an android. Oh, yeah, we weren't supposed to tell you...sorry. :'(

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Beep;

I have ideas for two apps, both GPS-based:

1) I have been using an app called GeoBeagle. It is intended for geocaching, locating geocaches pulled from a net-based database, etc, but also has the ability to allow you to store a spot and then crudely navigate back to it. I don't geocache, but I DO fish, so I use it to store spots we catch fish at so that we can return to them later. It would be nice to have an app specifically aimed at fishing that does basically the same thing, but also allows the user to store pertinent info about each saved location: date & time, types of fish caught, other notes (could be used for weather conditions, baits, whatever)

2) Again, along the GPS / fishing line (although, there would be plenty of other applications) How about an app that allows the user to pull in a saved graphic image (in my case a lake map in bmp, jpg, or other format) then hit 3 or so locations on the map, mark those locations and save their gps coords to calibrate the map to true GPS. In my case, i can download hydrographic maps of most of the lakes in my home state from our DNR website - it would be nice if they could be made "GPS-able" so that I could head to specific areas of the lake. Again, like # 1, would be useful to be able to save "waypoints" with pertinent data about each. Could also be useful on large jobsites, at amusement parks, etc.

Diggem'

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diggemall said:
Beep;

I have ideas for two apps, both GPS-based:

1) I have been using an app called GeoBeagle. It is intended for geocaching, locating geocaches pulled from a net-based database, etc, but also has the ability to allow you to store a spot and then crudely navigate back to it. I don't geocache, but I DO fish, so I use it to store spots we catch fish at so that we can return to them later. It would be nice to have an app specifically aimed at fishing that does basically the same thing, but also allows the user to store pertinent info about each saved location: date & time, types of fish caught, other notes (could be used for weather conditions, baits, whatever)

2) Again, along the GPS / fishing line (although, there would be plenty of other applications) How about an app that allows the user to pull in a saved graphic image (in my case a lake map in bmp, jpg, or other format) then hit 3 or so locations on the map, mark those locations and save their gps coords to calibrate the map to true GPS. In my case, i can download hydrographic maps of most of the lakes in my home state from our DNR website - it would be nice if they could be made "GPS-able" so that I could head to specific areas of the lake. Again, like # 1, would be useful to be able to save "waypoints" with pertinent data about each. Could also be useful on large jobsites, at amusement parks, etc.

Diggem'

Those are great ideas. I have a fishing app idea that involves what you're talking about, but would also function as...I think I'll stop there as it doesn't exist yet. A relative is a well-known fly fisherman who 'knows everything', has 6000 flies, etc. and would be my subject matter expert. We'll see how it goes. That is one of the first two apps I've got on the table, actually.

I think your image/coords idea is really good. The image would have to be mapped and referenced to coords, so it might be time-consuming unless you could automate the data prep. It would be no issue if the image was a 2D satellite view as it would map directly.

I think if you search around on the Android Market you should be able to find some apps that might be able to fit some of your needs. I think there will be/is a big market for custom apps tailored for specific industries, hobbies, etc. Niche is the keyword, to some extent.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
The Beep Goes On said:
I think your image/coords idea is really good. The image would have to be mapped and referenced to coords, so it might be time-consuming unless you could automate the data prep.

I think if you search around on the Android Market you should be able to find some apps that might be able to fit some of your needs. I think there will be/is a big market for custom apps tailored for specific industries, hobbies, etc. Niche is the keyword, to some extent.

That's the idea with actually "visiting" a few spots that are on the map and saving their coords while tagging the map on the app - calibrate the map "in situ", as it were...

As for searching, I was surprised that I was unable to turn anything better up.........

Diggem'

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diggemall said:
The Beep Goes On said:
I think your image/coords idea is really good. The image would have to be mapped and referenced to coords, so it might be time-consuming unless you could automate the data prep.

That's the idea with actually "visiting" a few spots that are on the map and saving their coords while tagging the map on the app - calibrate the map "in situ", as it were...

As for searching, I was surprised that I was unable to turn anything better up.........

Diggem'

Ok...I see...sweet. If the image were oblique, you'd have to figure out how many points were required to interpolate the rest. That would be handled for you...you'd just have to visit a certain number of sites depending on the pic. If the image parameters changed (angle, elevation, etc.) between sets of data it would have to be a pretty sophisticated algorithm, but doable using GPS and motion/angle sensors. If it was a small area it would become easier.

As to your second comment, that is good news to me :)

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I probably made your idea overly complex, Diggem', which I tend to do, unfortunately. I was thinking that the phone would also be taking the picture (as I assume you were). You would walk to the minimum number of calibration sites, mark the locations and the program would then, like you said, allow you to touch the image and get a set of coordinates. Is that what you're thinking?

This a first stab at a logo...I tend to go thru a bunch until a good one comes along...or until I've used it in published work. The domain name was untaken, which was cool...never had that happen before.

Attachments

• extrologic_logo_med.png
    extrologic_logo_med.png
    37 KB · Views: 214

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Or touch the image and get a nav arrow to the target area, or even a "my location" dot overlaid and updated on the image, sorta like the current Google Maps App, but restricted to the calibrated bmp / jpg (whatever format) map...........

Check out the geobeagle app - it seems to use google maps to give the user current location feedback and has a compass style nav-to-destination with distance to go kind of interface as well..........

Re; the domain name; no, that only rarely happens anymore........... Too many folks registering every conceivable combination of alphabet in hopes of selling the domain rights.............

Best of luck.......... Keep us posted here

Diggem'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread