spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many of you are still near, or in touch with your childhood friends :dontknow:

Sometimes circumstances prevent you from staying in touch, but when the opportunity presented itself recently, I was all over it. This is about my first set of real childhood friends, friends that were so close for the first 20 years of our lives. I had decided to pull away from most of them about 40 years ago, as several were into a lifestyle I didn't want to follow. After losing more than a dozen friends to drugs, I decided to cut my ties and just wish them the best.

Well, the best does happen sometimes. All that I know of but one has been clean for years. The one in question is either dead, or still a slave to his addiction.

We just had the weekend of our lives, 13-14 hours of great weather, food, music.. The best part is that even though many years have past, seeing them was just like talking with them yesterday.

The youngster in the front is my friends kid..

<script src='http://img261.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=194038981662166187.jpg' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript> </noscript>

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I love this pic and the back story!!! Glad you had a good time:)

(by the way....how'd the lasagna turn out?)

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, and that lasagna turned out great. I'll probably change my name to Chef Boyardee. I think the fried pepperoni topping makes a big difference :thumbsup:

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
You're a lucky man Spart to have that many friends from that far back. Bet you guys had a blast!! I would love to have been a fly on the wall and watched the reunion. Bet there were some great old "war" stories, especially from you.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Spart, that's a cool photo. I see many of the guys and gals I grew up with. Most have left the island but come back to visit or vacation with their kids.

OT

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, it really was great to see them all together again and doing well... Best part is that I have a ton more of childhood stories to tell :laughing7: Even got a ton of stories from Mickey the EMT worker. Amazing that we forget some of the stupid things we did as kids. I can't wait until mext month when we have a few more old friends to add to the mix.

The saddest part was remembering all of he guys who had passed on, most where gone in their early 20's and the rest about 27... It seems that 27 was the age to go in the 60's too

I think my friend Greg summed it up best

"Arrgh, Never a more disreputable bunch of Cutthroats and Rogues ever Sailed the Spanish Main or Roamed the Bronx Zoo for that Matter!"

I tell you, for growing up, there was no place in the world like the Bronx in the 50-60's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread