The Meanest Animal I Ever Encountered

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'm sure a charging grizz or lion, etc., would rate above this, but about 15 years ago I was camping some remote lakes up in the northern U.P. of Michigan, near the Wisconsin side. One day I decided to drive a narrow two-track back to this little lake and when I came around a corner there were two, either badgers or wolverines standing in the road about 50 feet ahead of me. (Still not sure which animals they were?) Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool seeing them, never saw them in the wild before, so I just stopped the truck to watch them for a while. Man, I never saw two animals swell up so fast, then suddenly they were low to the ground all flattened out and they were charging the truck like two speeding bullets, teeth showing and they were making all kinds of nasty grawling noises. I shoved the truck in reverse and beat it out of there.....I mean I thought for certain they were going to eat the tires right of the truck. Chased my truck for a good 40 yards or so. Now I've seen angry black bears, nervous acting wolves, etc.,.........but these things, for their size, which ever animal they were, literally gave me the willies. I couldn't believe how vicious they suddenly became, how powerful they looked, and how fast they could move. Just glad I was in the truck and not hiking. Hope I never see them again! Anyone else ever seen or had a run in with these nasty little beast?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a badger. My mom told me they were the meanest animals around and to run if I saw one. I saw them, but never had no problems. The Indians used to catch them by running alongside them and jumpin on their backs, breaking them. Try it sometime, I guess.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember they had stubby tails, pointed ears, wide powerful looking hind quarters and shoulders, but I just can't remember the markings on their faces and bodies? I was too busy speeding backwards and beating it out of there! :laughing7:

Are they that aggressive all the time? A friend of mine told me that he read where they can hold their own against a black bear while defending their young and food. I'm thinking these couldn't have been over about 50 - 60 pounds, give or take a bit. But when they swelled up they looked twice that size! :laughing7:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Sheesh - I saw the title of this thread and thought oh no, someone has encountered my OLD GIRLFRIEND! :o Then I find out you are talking about a different kind of four-legged hairy critters, which are by comparison half-tame. ::) :tongue3: :laughing7: :icon_thumleft:
Oroblanco

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roy, DUCK Beth is about to thump you on your haid!!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Gotta admit I Would have
Played Chicken with Them.

Bet I Would have Won ;D

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Brown = Wolverine.

Black and white = Badger.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really sounds like my ex and her sister! :laughing9:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I used to see them back on the farm when we plowed the fields, they would dig burrows along the fence line and come out when you got close with the tractor. I did have one come out of it's hole and actually bit the front tire on the tractor. I'm just glad I had a cab surrounding me or things could have gotten dicey

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Have men on foot been attacked like this? I've never seen a badger or a wolverine. Heck, I've never seen anything bigger than a Keys Deer. Manatees and alligators not included.

OT

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
badgers are very aggressive. they have been known to attack bears

I was later told this same thing. For the short time I saw them I was guessing them to be around 50lbs, and to think they could win a battle over food against a hungry black bear.......now that's strong and mean!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're the 4-legged versions of Cotton Mouth Moccosins, without the poison.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Shortstack said:
Roy, DUCK Beth is about to thump you on your haid!!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7:

LOL :laughing9: :laughing7: :D

In truth, Beth knows her too - had her tires slashed, car battery stabbed with a knife left sticking up etc, that woman was quite the psycho; I was only partly kidding! :o ;D At least Badgers and Wolverines only use their fangs and claws, which are formidable enough.
Roy

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
For me I would have to say the boar hog is one of the meanest I've seen in these parts, their not native to Ohio but they are here.

Search them on google if you have never seen one.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
wild hogs are dangerous, but they will turn tail and run if you let them, badgers will not, even if they can get away they will come after you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread