White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The last of the "Ouches"

Cool. My grandson enjoys them.

S

stefen

If I can find the picture of a 100 ton crane laying on its side after trying to pickup a Canary Island Palm from my parking lot...I'll post it ASAP...

Engineer had never rigged a palm before and the operator was equally as inept...center tied the palm and swung it into the boom...and over it went...

Took several other cranes to upright this mess...

ps. The palm survived unscratched

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

;D
I hauled a 1 and 1/2 MILLION dollar vault from St. Cloud , MN to a cemetary 6 miles from my house .
Lifting gear and specific rigging instructions (including crane size) went with each of these vaults . As
drivers , we had specific instructions as well . If the receiver failed to follow the instructions ; we were to get bills of lading signed with that notation before the first lift was made . That voided their warranty with the manufacturer and left my company 'claim free' for any damage .
To save money they hired a local class 8 wrecker to do the pick . He ignored the instructions and the lifting gear . Rigged it himself , signed my bills , and told me to pull away when he made the pick .
Yup ! Lifted it clear of my trailer and flagged me to pull out . I did and then gravity took over . Wrecker stood on it's last axle and the vault went to the ground . All involved came running to me asking ,
"What do we do now?"
"What ever you want . I got signed bills and I'm going to the house . Not my problem ."

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250

RGinn, that is good. glad he likes them.

stefen, I'll look forward to seeing it. When those cranes tip over, it is no easy matter getting it back to being
right side up. We had a large crane tip over on a job one day while we were loading some heave pre-stressed
concrete building planks on a tractor-trailer rig. I had just gone inside the warehouse to get some papers to go
with the load and the crane operator moved the crane to get a better lift on the last plank, which was on a
different pile. The operator got to talking with the other guy and they both forgot to put the outriggers back
out after moving the crane, By the time they realized the outriggers were not out, it was too late. It took
2 days to get a large enough crane out there to lift it back up on it's wheels.

truckinbutch Wow, it was a good thing you had those signed papers to keep you in the clear. When working
with big heavy stuff, it pays to follow instructions from someone who knows.

An interesting reply. thank you.

Ray

S

stefen

It took the better part of a day...fortunately, several cranes were within an hour of so from my building...

Police cars blockaded both ends of the street and kept looky-loos at bay...

All that was lacking was someone selling popcorn and hot dogs :laughing7:

Attachments

• canariensis.jpg
    canariensis.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250

Stefen that is a pretty nice looking palm, too. too bad it has to be moved. It doesn't look like it was damaged much
in trying to pull it.

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread