Fun Facts of the U. S. With an interesting update

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Fun facts for each state that some of you might not know.

ALABAMA...Was the first place to have 9-1-1, started in 1968.

Alaska.........One out of every 64 people has a pilot's license.

ARIZONA....is the only state in the continental U.S. that doesn't follow Daylight Savings Time.

ARKANSAS..Has the only active diamond mine in the U.S.

CALIFORNIA..It's economy is so large that if it were a country, it would rank seventh in the entire world.

COLORADO...In 1976 it became the only state to turn down the olympics.

CONNECTICUT..The frisbee was invented here at Yale University.

DELAWARE........Has more scientists and engineers than any other state.

Florida...............At 874.3 square miles, Jacksonville is the U.S."s largest city.

Georgia.............It was here in 1886 that pharmacist John Pemberton made the first vat of Coca Cola.

Hawaii............. Hawaiians live, on average, ,live five years longer than residents in any other state.

IDAHO.............TV was invented in Rigby, Idaho, in 1922.

ILLINOIS.........Has a governor in jail, one pending jail, and is the most corrupt state in the union.

INDIANA.........home to Santa Clause, Indiana, which gets half a million letters to Santa every year.

IOWA.............winnebago get their name Winnebaggo from Winnabago County. Also it is the only stare that
begins with two vowels.

KANSAS.........Liberal. Kansas, has an exact replica of the house in the wizard of Oz.

KENTUCKY....has more than $6 billion dollars in gold underneath Fort Knox.

LOUISIANNA,..Has Parishes instead of Counties because they were originally Spanish Church units.

MAINE.............It is so big, it covers as many square miles as the 5 other New England states combined

MARYLAND.....The Ouija board was created in Baltimore in 1892.

MASSASCHUSETTS... The fig newton is named after Newton, Massachussets

Michigan...................Freemont, Home to gerber's, is is the baby food capitol of the world.

MINNESOEA............Bloomingtol"s Mall of America is so big. that if you spent ten minutes in each store,
you'd be there about four days.

MISSISSIPPI..........President Teddy Roosevelt refused to shoot a bear here....that is how the teddy bear got it 's name

MISSOURI.............Is the birthplace of the ice cream cone,

MONTANA................A sapphire from Montana is in the crown jewels of England.

NEBRASKA,,,,,,,,,,,,More triplets are born here than in any other state.

NEW HAMPSHIRE..Birthplace of Tupperware, invented in 1938 by Earl Tupper.

NEW JERSEY.........Has the most shopping malls in one area in the world.

NEW MEXICO... ...Smokey the Bear was rescued from a 1950 forest fire here.

NEW YORK...........Is home to the nation's cattle ranch, started in 1747 in Montauk.

NORTH CAROLINA...Home of the first Krispy Kreme doughnut.

NORTH DAKOTA.......Rigby, North Dakota, is the exact geographic center of North America.

OHIO....................The hot dog was invented here in 1900.

OKLAHOMA.........The grounds of the state capital are covered by operating oil wells.

OREGON.............Has the most ghost towns in the country.

PENNSYLVANIA..The smiley, was first used in 1980 by computer scientists at Coregie Mellon University.

RHODE ISLAND.....The nation's oldest bar, The White Horse Tavern, opened here in 1673.

SOUTH CAROLINA...Sumter County, is home to the world's largest gingko farm.

SOUTH DAKOTA......Is the only state that has never had an earthquake.

TENNESSEE...........Nashville's Grand Ole Opry is the longest running live radio show in the world.

TEXAS..................Dr. Pepper was invented in Waco back in 1885.

UTAH..................The first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant opened here in 1952.

VERMONT..........Montpelier is the only state capital without a McDonald's.

VIRGINIA...........Home of the world's largest office building.....The Pentagon.

WASHINGTON.....Seattle has twice as many college graduates as any other state.

WASHINGTON D. C....Was the first planned capital in the world.

WEST VIRGINIA.....Had the world's first brick paved street, Summers Street, laid in Charleston in1870.

WISCONSIN..........The ice cream sundae was invented here in 1881 to get around blue laws prohibiting
ice cream from being sold on Sundays.

WYOMING............Was the first state to allow women to vote.

F

Felinepeachy

Re: Fun Facts of the U. S.

Or does it? :dontknow:

Great post Ray. :tongue3:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WASHINGTON D. C is not officially part of the united states!!!! Just another fun fact!!!!!

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used

Peachy, that is a good question. :icon_scratch: Thanks for the reply.

Chug and Red, Agreed. It is not a state in itself. And I just checked the count to make sure all 50 states were listed along
with D. C. which would total 51 and discovered it is missing 1 state. Then compared the list to the one in the atlas where
they are also listed alphabetically and Nevada is not in the list. I thought that I just missed it when I copied it, but after
checking the original list, Nevada is not on it. So any of you living in Nevada, please don't judge me too harshly for leaving
it off the list. It was not intentional. LOL.

Ray

S

Smee

Dingy Harry was afraid some of his "accomplishments" might be mentioned. You know, it being an election year and all, it could hurt.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting facts :thumbsup:

Fossis...........

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oklahoma Capitol oil wells...always paid off to grease the wheels of the state legislature. We got tired of it after awhile and just drilled some wells for them and said 'Here, y'all do youselves.'

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will have to disagree with Illinois being the most corrupt state.. sad to say NJ may have that honor with the arrest of bout 30, including several mayors and other politicians.. ;D

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes

I heard New Jersey had the greatest amount of "odd" people than any other State besides California, sorry Spart but it's just the word on the street.

Thanks for a very interesting post Ray.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WindHarvester said:
I heard New Jersey had the greatest amount of "odd" people than any other State besides California, sorry Spart but it's just the word on the street.

Thanks for a very interesting post Ray.

You heard wrong... It's Weird... and we even have a popular magazine about it :laughing9:

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used

There are lots of interesting replies here and some things to think about. I received an interesting PM from
Felinepeachy. She said she didn't want to hi-jack my thread, which would have been ok with me, but I
thought was very nice of her to be so considerate. In the list of fun facts about the states, it mentions that
Kentucky has about $6 billion dollars worth of gold underneath Fort Knox. Here is a website that contradicts
that statement and I want to post it here for you all to see. It looks pretty serious if it is all true.

In case you thought we had gold reserves you should check one out.

Ray

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/82193

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
FYI, South Dakota has had two earthquakes in the last 12 years.

Fun facts for each state that some of you might not know.

ALABAMA...Was the first place to have 9-1-1, started in 1968.

Alaska.........One out of every 64 people has a pilot's license.

ARIZONA....is the only state in the continental U.S. that doesn't follow Daylight Savings Time.

ARKANSAS..Has the only active diamond mine in the U.S.

CALIFORNIA..It's economy is so large that if it were a country, it would rank seventh in the entire world.

COLORADO...In 1976 it became the only state to turn down the olympics.

CONNECTICUT..The frisbee was invented here at Yale University.

DELAWARE........Has more scientists and engineers than any other state.

Florida...............At 874.3 square miles, Jacksonville is the U.S."s largest city.

Georgia.............It was here in 1886 that pharmacist John Pemberton made the first vat of Coca Cola.

Hawaii............. Hawaiians live, on average, ,live five years longer than residents in any other state.

IDAHO.............TV was invented in Rigby, Idaho, in 1922.

ILLINOIS.........Has a governor in jail, one pending jail, and is the most corrupt state in the union.

INDIANA.........home to Santa Clause, Indiana, which gets half a million letters to Santa every year.

IOWA.............winnebago get their name Winnebaggo from Winnabago County. Also it is the only stare that
begins with two vowels.

KANSAS.........Liberal. Kansas, has an exact replica of the house in the wizard of Oz.

LOUISIANNA,..Has Parishes instead of Counties because they were originally Spanish Church units.

MAINE.............It is so big, it covers as many square miles as the 5 other New England states combined

MARYLAND.....The Ouija board was created in Baltimore in 1892.

MASSASCHUSETTS... The fig newton is named after Newton, Massachussets

Michigan...................Freemont, Home to gerber's, is is the baby food capitol of the world.

MINNESOEA............Bloomingtol"s Mall of America is so big. that if you spent ten minutes in each store,
you'd be there about four days.

MISSISSIPPI..........President Teddy Roosevelt refused to shoot a bear here....that is how the teddy bear got it 's name

MISSOURI.............Is the birthplace of the ice cream cone,

MONTANA................A sapphire from Montana is in the crown jewels of England.

NEBRASKA,,,,,,,,,,,,More triplets are born here than in any other state.

NEW HAMPSHIRE..Birthplace of Tupperware, invented in 1938 by Earl Tupper.

NEW JERSEY.........Has the most shopping malls in one area in the world.

NEW MEXICO... ...Smokey the Bear was rescued from a 1950 forest fire here.

NEW YORK...........Is home to the nation's cattle ranch, started in 1747 in Montauk.

NORTH CAROLINA...Home of the first Krispy Kreme doughnut.

NORTH DAKOTA.......Rigby, North Dakota, is the exact geographic center of North America.

OHIO....................The hot dog was invented here in 1900.

OKLAHOMA.........The grounds of the state capital are covered by operating oil wells.

OREGON.............Has the most ghost towns in the country.

PENNSYLVANIA..The smiley, was first used in 1980 by computer scientists at Coregie Mellon University.

RHODE ISLAND.....The nation's oldest bar, The White Horse Tavern, opened here in 1673.

SOUTH CAROLINA...Sumter County, is home to the world's largest gingko farm.

SOUTH DAKOTA......Is the only state that has never had an earthquake.

TENNESSEE...........Nashville's Grand Ole Opry is the longest running live radio show in the world.

TEXAS..................Dr. Pepper was invented in Waco back in 1885.

UTAH..................The first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant opened here in 1952.

VERMONT..........Montpelier is the only state capital without a McDonald's.

VIRGINIA...........Home of the world's largest office building.....The Pentagon.

WASHINGTON.....Seattle has twice as many college graduates as any other state.

WASHINGTON D. C....Was the first planned capital in the world.

WEST VIRGINIA.....Had the world's first brick paved street, Summers Street, laid in Charleston in1870.

WISCONSIN..........The ice cream sundae was invented here in 1881 to get around blue laws prohibiting
ice cream from being sold on Sundays.

WYOMING............Was the first state to allow women to vote.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Missouri might be incorrect. The first ice cream cone was invented in 1939 at the worlds fair in NY when a vender ran out of cups and used waffles from the next stand for cones. Frank, I was there!

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Yep, I can remember back to 2 years old. We drove to New Jersey and stayed with friends named Welsh then drove to NY for the fair. I guess not many people have a memory that can reach back so far. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions