How do YOU react?

S

Smee

First off, this is not about religion. It is about public reaction to certain dress.

I understand that certain dress may be a requirement of certain religions. In this area, for instance, a woman of the Pentacostal faith will never be seen in pants, never get her hair cut short. Many Muslim women wear burkas (hope I spelled it right).

This week, National Public Radio (NPR) fired political commentator Juan Williams for comments he made on Bill O'Reilly's program on Fox News. What could have said that was so bad? He admitted that persons on an airplane who wear garb that proclaims their being Muslim make him uneasy. He said:

Juan Williams said:
I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.

Here in the "Arklamiss", the sight of a burka in the local shopping mall isn't all that shocking. However, when the woman (don't know, can't tell, could even be a small framed man) is pushing a stroller with several blankets over her baby on a Louisiana August day, it did get the attention of some Sheriff's Deputies --- as I believe it should have. Personally, I took my family and left immediately.

How does it make you feel? How do you react?

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
I try my best not to "profile" people, yet sometimes people make me a little uneasy about them. It's not by their race, religion or the clothing they wear but more about the personality they show.

For example:

If I'm at the local V.F.W. and someone comes in and says to the gal behind the counter "get me a drink" rather than saying "could I please have a glass of whatever" then I become uneasy and I know that I don't want to be around that person.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say profile away and to hell with all things P.C.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether it's right, or wrong, we do tend to react to the way people dress. Be it leather biker jackets, wearing gang colors, or a burka they want to stand out in a crowd for whatever reason. Unfortunately a burka stands out as a symbol of terrorism and that's just a plain fact, we associate the burka with many of the extremists out there. I for one have no problem eyeballing them either. :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

Smee

GopherDaGold said:
I say profile away and to hell with all things P.C.

I understand your feelings, and agree, but hope we can keep religion and politics out of the thread so it doesn't get shut down or moved where I won't see it.

"The Pub" is on my ignore list. I've set up another forum where I can rant and rave to my heart's content about those things, and it won't bother anyone here.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i do not like offending folks --but i like not dying a lot more.

our comon sense "alerts" us to things "not normal" that could be a threat to us -- thats how and why we survived thru the ages.

if being around someone makes me feel "odd" theres a reason for it most likely --- when loins approach the other animals -- the other animals give them a wide berth --is that "loin profiling" by the other animals --i mean THAT exact loin might be a "toothless one" and thus harmless -- but do the other animals want to take a chance and risk thier lives to find out?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some years ago my youngest son brought home a new friend. His new friend was dressed entirely in black and was as skinny as a rail. I told my son that his friend appeared to be a druggie and maybe even a Satan worshiper. My son got upset with me and told me I was stereotyping his buddie. I then asked my son what he would do if he was home alone and a bunch of Harleys came up the driveway and the riders were all wearing Hell's Angels jackets. He said he would grab a gun. I then pointed out to him that he was doing the same thing. He had to admit I was right. A week or so later he discovered his friend was a meth head. ;D
If a cop is chasing someone wearing a red jacket, and the suspect runs around a corner, is the cop profiling if, when the cop turns the corner, he looks for someone in a red jacket to continue the chase?
Call me what you want, I'll profile or stereotype to my hearts content.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
I eyeball everybody and stay aware of my surroundings but it may not always be enough. :wink:
(old vid but worth the revisit)

[youtube=425,350]1qb4aIZTNKM[/youtube]

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
ivan salis said:
i do not like offending folks --but i like not dying a lot more.

our comon sense "alerts" us to things "not normal" that could be a threat to us -- thats how and why we survived thru the ages.

if being around someone makes me feel "odd" theres a reason for it most likely --- when loins approach the other animals -- the other animals give them a wide berth --is that "lion profiling" by the other animals --i mean THAT exact lion might be a "toothless one" and thus harmless -- but do the other animals want to take a chance and risk thier lives to find out?

I've noticed a lot of animals give a wide berth to anyone approaching them with their loins. Is this a regular thing with you mate? You can go to jail for that you know!! :o

(Too good to let go by lol,sorry.)

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
BS,

I think that video should be in comedy central, I know it's meant to raise awareness but I think they went a little overboard when the boy pulled the machine gun from his rectum. :tongue3:

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
It's called "situational awareness". Everyone should practice it at all times to keep them selves and their families safe. It really doesn't take a lot of effort to do and in a world fraught with potential hazardous situations it just makes good sense in my opinion. It is also a good habit to teach the people you care about.

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
I just read that news article about that journalist.In a real sense were loosing(even in Canada)our ability to think for ourself and even the freedom to express our thoughts!Its an infrigement on our own intellect that we cannot be free thinkers.Seems like a segment of society wants to be our conscience in all matters of life!Thats a liberal way of doing things i guess huh. :dontknow:

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
WindHarvester said:
BS,

I think that video should be in comedy central, I know it's meant to raise awareness but I think they went a little overboard when the boy pulled the machine gun from his rectum. :tongue3:

Yep, I agree it was a bit over done (wonder how he walked with a pump-shotty stuffed down a pant leg), the other side of this is how easy it would be to conceal any weapon in any number of garments (no weapons hidden in thongs vids please). :wink:

Still trying to teach my wife to be aware ever since the time I was to meet her for lunch. I parked next her van in the parking lot waiting for her to come out of work and watched as she walked out with her head down, making a bee-line for the van. She walked right past my car without so much as a glance, hopped into the unlocked van and began to read a book.

I waited five minutes before calling her cell, talked for a few minutes before she asked how long I would be, told her I was already with her having lunch, even with that revelation I still needed to prod her into looking out her window "I didnt even notice" was her only comment.

That was almost four years back and I still cannot get through to her the importance of looking up every few minutes, it should be second nature just like looking in a rear view mirror while driving. :coffee2:

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
I know where your coming from BS, My Wife works a job where She handles a very large amount of money from Her place of business late in the evenings. She carries mace, and I have taught Her the basics of self defense, and She is very cautious, but occasionally when She feels uneasy (You know that gut feeling) She calls me and I go help Her shut things down and I'm the first one out of the doors.

Myself I don't really worry about Me, but when it comes to My Family it is a different story.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Situational awareness / personal responsibility ...... all the same . You can't depend on a guy on a white
horse carrying a big stick to come riding in to remedy a situation that you allowed yourself to become involved in due to tunnel vision on your part .

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 words..... Spooky dude. 2 more George Soros.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found myself agreeing with ANYTHING Juan Williams was opining about, but I have to say that he is very articulate and even handed when voicing his ideas. This is probably the first time that I'll agree with him totally. He was screwed by that, supposedly, PUBLIC radio outfit. That broad who fired him didn't even want to talk with him face to face. She fired him over the telephone.

As to profiling.......................you're damned right I profile. If someone robs a store and is reported as being a skinny white puke wearing a T-shirt and jeans, I sure as hell won't be looking for an Oriental woman in a black dress. That's the same idea as the TSA checking little old ladies and babies in diapers. The 2-bit pieces of human garbage who caused the deaths on 9-11 were young Arab men. If the Arab community gets upset about their people being checked a little bit closer; tough sh-- folks. It was some of YOUR ethnically related punks who did the deed so thank THEM for your inconvenience. And to help prevent it from happening again, turn in anybody you suspect as being a terrorist.

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Marc(NB) said:
I just read that news article about that journalist.In a real sense were loosing(even in Canada)our ability to think for ourself and even the freedom to express our thoughts!Its an infrigement on our own intellect that we cannot be free thinkers.Seems like a segment of society wants to be our conscience in all matters of life!Thats a liberal way of doing things i guess huh. :dontknow:

Enter 1984.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions