LYME DISEASE

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Correct me if im wrong but there is no cure for Lymes.
in most cases you get the round of antibiotics and its gone. although you will still test positive for it for 3 yrs. my son has chronic Lyme Disease. the disease goes dormant and encapsulates itself. it stays in your system. it waits until your imune system is compromised and comes back with a vengence. i know ....my son has been battling it since he was 15.......he's 26 now. the sad part is that the AMA does not recognize it. since they don't recognize it the insurance companies will not pay for anything other than the 2 week round of antibiotics. and the doctors who do treat it beyond the 2 week period or use a different drug to fight it run the risk of losing thier license. ask the 7 docs in N.Y. who this has already happened to. there are a group of docs out there who will treat it but they put you through background checks and wish to remain anonymous. while this is good they are doing this, they are usually booked up for months at a time and you have to pay cash as they will not submit anything to the insurers. remember they could lose thier license. most are using the same drug they use for fibromyalsia. but this is where they run into trouble since they are using the drug for other than what it was made for.
anyway back to my son......he contracted it hte first time cutting our lawn. he had what looked like a huge pimple on the back of his neck. the docs wouldn't lance it because it was so close to his head. they thought it was an ingrown hair or perhaps an infected bite. they did not check for Lyme but prescribed him antibiotics anyway.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
( i started another post because my screen jumps when i put in too much)
anyway we went away for the week and he got worse and worse. he wasn't eating, sleeping all the time, tired all the time and severe headaches. when we got back he had lost 30 lbs that week. thats alot for a 15 yr. old. he got so bad he couldn't turn his head. the back of his head swelled up to twice its size and we rushed him to emergency. they thought he had meningitis. when they found out he didn't have that they said he must have Lyme. so back to the docs and more tests and both tests were positive for lyme. he did get better, for awhile. about a year later he was complaining of pain in his joints, confusion, body aches and a few others i can't remember. back he goes and they refuse to test him again because they said he would still test positive. they put him back on the antibiotics again....... he seemed to be doing better but several years later the symptoms came back. the docs said they felt that he may have contracted it again.....maybe 2 or 3 times since his last bout. (he is a landscaper at this time). he kept getting worse. it got to the point where i had to carry him up and down the steps. they did the 2 week round of anti's again. no good. thats when we found out they would no longer treat him for Lyme because he couldn't possibly still it. he must have something else. well they couldn't find anything else. so now thier trying to say its in his head :BangHead: anyway long story short we finally found someone who would treat him. they put a port in his arm with a tube that ran directly into his heart. he had to inject himself everyday for a month.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i believe it was extended for several months...i can't remember. and it was expensive as it wasn't covered. finally he started showing progress. he ultimately got back on his feet and back to work. here's where he stands now. occasional joint pain. occasional severe headaches.bouts of depression. and now he has his own cardiologist and is on pressure medicine. his heart is damaged but they don't know how much. i'm gonna be 50 and my wife and i do not have high blood pressure.
Lyme is a very serious disease, his life will never be the same. until the AMA recognizes Lyme and allows docs to treat it more of us who are work and love being outdoors will always be at risk. its hard to watch your son go through this knowing that he will be affected the rest of his life. always use deet and tuck those socks in your pants.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
I had it this year, it was the first time, I was lucky considering that when I use to hunt cellar holes I would find about 3-4 ticks in me per hunt sometimes day's later. I found the rash, I did not have any other symptoms, I would have let it go if someone had not forced me to see a doctor. I took anti biotics for 20 days and that was that. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I thought tick season was over but I just found a few on my dog.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread