Screwed over by crooked mechanic, advice really needed!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
A couple of points. I've been an auto mechanic for 35 years and owned my own shop so I have some experience with this type of situation. First off it was wrong of him to do the work without prior authorization.. but.. did you sign a repair order when you dropped the car off ? If so you may have been signing your rights away. ALWAYS read the fine print. There may be a mechanics lien stipulation on there giving him the right to charge storage and the right to keep the car if you don't pay. Second point is for the guy who says the parts should be around $150 and that it's a 3 hour job. The Retail price of the parts is what you pay unless you're buying chain store Chinese parts and doing the work yourself. There is generally a 40% or so markup on the parts when you go to a garage and there should be. Like the old saying "you don't go to a restaurant and bring your own food and ask them to cook it" If you want to complain that the scrambled eggs you bought for $4.95 only cost the restaurant 50 cents to buy then stay home & cook your own breakfast. As to the 3 hour comment... It's fairly obvious you've never done this stuff for a living. "book time" is a joke when working on a car that's over 20 years old. Maybe you're a "service tech" at a dealership working on the same kind of NEW cars day after day & you can do a clutch in 3 hours.. Great. I'm happy for ya. Bring the car into the shop (possibly have to push it depending on how bad the clutch is), set it up on the lift & support the engine from above, remove front wheels, seperate lower balljoints to allow you to remove both front axles, disconnect battery & remove starter, disconnect wiring & cables, unbolt transmission mounts & unbolt from engine, drain & remove transmission, possibly send flywheel out to be resurfaced (I always do this), remove & replace clutch & then put all this stuff back together. Now add the age of the car into the mix and the fact that heat, penetrating oil, etc may be needed to get rusty parts to cooperate, bolts may break, etc. On some front wheel drive cars the exhaust also needs to be removed and that almost always requires torches to heat things up. Wait.. both axles are frozen to the splines in the hubs from 20+ years of rust.. Get a bigger hammer... Spend extra time trying to remove the axles without runining them or beat them to death and then try to convince the customer they were bad to begin with.. Can't use heat here since the wheel bearing seals & the CV boots are rubber.. I love these guys who think they can do it cheaper, faster, better, etc. but go to Jiffy Lube to get their oil changed.. Sorry if I come across as being a little upset but auto mechanics are always having to deal with this crap due to a small few who deserve the reputation for ripping people off. Nobody ever questions how much plumbers pay for pipe or how much electricians pay for wire... To sum it up the garage was wrong to do the work without your aproval, but... the price he's charging is a bargain. Pay the man & move on with your life. With the purchase price you have less than 1000 bucks invested in what's probably a great little car. Or walk away & he can file for a title under the abandoned vehicle laws or because of a possible mechanics lien and he will resell your car for well over $2000. Toyotas in most parts of the country have an amazing resale value. To clarify.. I feel bad that the original poster wasn't given the opportunity to say yes or no to the price BEFORE the work was done and I agree that was wrong. My points are directed towards the guys who think the price charged was too much & want to hang the garage owner from the highest tree. That was CHEAP for that kind of job.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting topic and some interesting replies... First a word of advise... I never leave my car anywhere to be checked, I remain with it. Since most shops are busy, just call ahead to the owner and explain the problem and ask for an appointment so you can babysit your car.

Two other posts caught my attention as well... So far you have only $100 invested in the car, although you would hate to lose a dime it may be better to walk away. I would have to agree with 2, or 3 of the other posters that mention the cost is about on target, at least in NJ it would be that, or perhaps a little more. So for just under $800 you have yourself a good running car that should still give you a few years of service.

Lastly.. Since you had a bad experience by your count, never go to that shop again and spread the word.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NH, I agree with you since I have to maintain all of my mining equipment. I have an agreement with a local garage where I pay part of his operating expenses and in turn can work on and store my vehicles / equipment there.

Your remark on older equipment is right on the nose. Many times a frozen bolt or nut can take a day or more to fix, while a new part would take 1 -2 minutes. This doesn't take into account years of solidified grease, dirt rust, etc which has to be cleaned off also.

As for the legalities, since I have no idea what was or wasn't discussed, or signed, I can give no advice there, except to remember what happened to OJ Simpson. Removing the vehicle from his property without his permission can be a no no, since he is legally responsible for it while it is in his possesion, no matter what he may post.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Update: The Magistrate couldnt do anything, but he was still very helpful. He told me that there is a form to go fill out at small claims titled "Right To Obtain Property". This is where I can take possession of my car and we will have to duke it out in court, in which case I will win.

For those that asked me if I had signed anything, the answer is NO. Nothing was printed, nothing was signed, all he was told to do was look at it, he even used the word "estimate" himself when talking to me. He later acted like he misunderstood the entire situation, which is bull.

For those that think the car could have been done easier and cheaper, 631.00 is a fair price, I never argued that, but I did have another mechanic look at it a few days prior and got an estimate for $417.00. I know how to fix cars, I do it for side work. However, this particular front wheel transmission is a real headache to deal with and I lack some of the specialty equipment to make the job go as it should, this is why I went to have it looked at to begin with. Taking this car into the shop for an estimate was done for a second opinion, and also a possibilty of using his "90 day financing" option that he advertised. Seeing that I have been unemployed since last January, this was an attractive offer, but that too got yanked out from under me under false promises.

I will in no way drive off with the car, I vent alot. There is a difference between what I really want to do, and what I actually will do.

Now, after talking to my dad and finding out that this mechanic ripped him off too (and my dad knows all about car repair, he is no dummy), the gloves are off. I have decided to make this deceptive grease monkey my personal project for the winter!

Today I am typing up a "letter of intent" and sending it to the shop that is holding my car, which will describe to him his unethical and illegal activity and it gives him the following options:

1. Take out the new parts and replace the old ones, give the car back at no charge whatsoever.

2. Allow me to drive the car and be able to pay off what's owed over 90 days (in-house, interest free.)

If he does not comply by Saturday afternoon by closing time, the following actions will go into effect on Monday before he can get a chance to scratch his butt and have his first cup of coffee:

All these will take place in a 5 day period.

1. The B.B.B. will be contacted
2. Small claims will be filed along with "Right To Recieve Property" order.
3. News paper and television station will be contacted.
4. A small add will be placed in the paper (if reporters dont run the story, I will)
5.Fliers describing activity and requesting folks avoid said shop, will be printed up and placed in every public venue in town.
6. Every day that he is open, I will stand across the street from his shop with picket signs telling any would-be customers to avoid him and go elsewhere. I will remain outside with these signs until he either makes it right, the court forces him to make it right, or I will make sure his business flow slows to a small trickle, and he can't make mad money like he used too.

I hate to be the one who seems like a jerk here, but the reality is, I am extremely nice and I have always had turned the other cheek in past situations like this. However, I can no longer ignore this. It has become a standard operating procedure in my town for folks to run some sort of scam. It is very hard to even buy an honest and decent running car here. The mentality of this small mountain town is full of people with the get rich quick attitude. It's a plague here and its time that someone makes an example out of one of these guys.

DSCN2187.jpg

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great plans Cap'n Crunch!

Three comments:

1. It's possible the mechanic might actually call the cops on YOU for harassement, for putting up flyers and protesting at his business. Or try to get a lawyer to go after you for slander (or is it libel?) Just be prepared to comply with at least the police.

2. Not sure where you live but if there's a city council meeting type thing that people can raise issues with, it might be good to raise this dude's shady practices there.

3. Towards the above, if you have the time you could find & interview others who've been scammed by him, and ask their permission to include their quotes/charges on the flyers, or to bring up at the council meeting. The more you can get confirmation from others, the less anyone can claim you're just some lone person unhappy at the price/service or whatever.

Sounds like you're taking great steps though. One possible additional benefit is that awareness about this jerk will get raised, and there may be a person out there who also got screwed, but wasn't auto-savvy, but also has enough money to go after him with a real lawyer. GOOD LUCK!!

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
texastee2007 said:
better get in there and take pictures....that kind of person can make a nightmare in mechanical messes for you...he could cut wires...pour sugar in your gas tank....so many things I don't even want to think about it.

At this point, I don't care about the car anymore. The point is, this town is up to it's neck in crooked business owners, that most people who need service will just return to these guys and hope that they don't get screwed too much.

I personally have better things to do with my time, but I feel that I have to make this point and make an example of him. I have sat back for too many years and took it up the tailpipe from folks like him and never raised a finger or my voice in protest, but this time I have absolutely had enough. It's time to make a stand, even if it doesn't bring results right away.

I am also well aware of the possibility that he may try something crappy like doing a counter attack and accusing me of slander/libel, bring it on! My law enforcement friends are well aware of what I am about to do, I sought advice from one of them before acting on anything.

My friend who sold me the car is jokingly calling me "Don Quixote" now. (the man who tried changing the world by tilting windmills) :laughing9:

I do plan on gathering other people's stories, and encouraging them to report their tales of woes as well.

Thanks again guys!

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
6. Every day that he is open, I will stand across the street from his shop with picket signs telling any would-be customers to avoid him and go elsewhere. I will remain outside with these signs until he either makes it right, the court forces him to make it right, or I will make sure his business flow slows to a small trickle, and he can't make mad money like he used too.

Use a sign like this:
"Why go to [repair shop's name] and PAY to get a big time screw? I'll give you a big screw for FREE!"

(Just make sure you have a box of big screws so you can hand out one to each curious person that stops by.... ;D)

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cappy if you do end up paying then handleing it in court ask for the parts he replaced. sounds like a lose wire and a 10 min fix seen this many times these guys are to lazy to rebuild a tranny or clutch then hope you pay for it believe me he's laughing at you. time to pound his a$$.

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
Cap'n I have read all the responses above and shake my head. For a $100.00 car, just walk away from it! Let the theiving sod have it and it will cost him to get rid of it and all the parts he has paid for, I doubt he will get all his outlay back. He can't persue you for costs unless you signed a repair order. Can you deregister it and get your rego money back?
Then there is Judge Judy.......

Wildcat

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
My $150 parts quote came from the Advance Auto Parts website.From what I've seen lately pert near all auto parts are cheap chinese junk.I have also owned my own garage,and no,book time isn't just a pipedream.Book time or labor estimaters are just that.How long it should take to complete a job,not including breaks and interruptions.Unfortunitely for garage owners,most parts houses have resorted to a one price structure.And of course there's the internet.Shoppers now have the advantage of knowing what things cost before they get to a garage.But hey,if you can get away with it,go for it while it lasts.DBULL

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well lets see I was a master mech for about 25 years. NHBandit summed it up pretty good. If you signed a repair order then my bet is it gave them permission to do the job. The price doesn't seem to unreasonable for that vech, should they have done it without a call, no but unfortunately you don't find many honest mechanics. Another reason I got out of the business. Recourse first try to reason with him maybe he will settle for a little less. Small claims court usually cost like $50 to file and if you lose court cost. Is it all worth it probably not. Like a lot of others have said you could walk away, he could also counter sue for any amount of the bill he doesn't get after he sells the car.

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
Not sure what state you're in, but you should contact your state bureau of automotive repair. If he is licensed, you can have them handle the situation. If not, he will be exposed to them for doing business without one.

He MUST have a signed estimate to do the work.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, let me give you some advice to think about. The estimate he gave you was quite high. I know, I got a clutch and pressure plate for my Toyota pick up and they cost me, (5 years ago) $195.00 for the parts and I did the work myself. Now being that your car is front wheel drive, some of them can be easy and some can be hard. Most cases you have to remove the front drivers wheel and axle to get to the transmission and clutch.

Now here is my suggestion to you and for you to SERIOUSLY THINK ABOUT. Now this guy OWNS the shop, he can be there at any time at any day, day or night.

If he thinks that you are taking him to court, or not going to pay him, you NEED to understand HE HAS YOUR CAR, and COULD and PROBABLY WOULD DO something to the car that will cause you MORE mechanical issues, which you could blame him if something else goes wrong. But on a legal stand point if the vehicle has high mileage, then he could screw it up and there wouldn't be anything you could do about it, because a judge will ask how many miles are on the car, then the judge will think normal wear and tear.

I know it sounds crappy, but if I were you, I would pay the bill and chalk it up to an experience, otherwise you might end up with more problems for your car, especially if you request he remove your new parts and replace your old ones.

Because the chances are, IF that does happen, don't look for everything to be put back properly or the bolts tightened down. And chances of you being allowed to stand there at his side watching him do everything is slim to none.

Here is my story that may help you feel better.

I had a transmission rebuilt in my Suburbon I had and when I brought it to a shop, (after calling around for estimates and found the cheapest one and the guy gave me an estimate he said it was $1,300.00. After he called and told me my Suburbon was ready I went there and guess what, he didn't take credit cards, nor checks. So now I had to get cash from the bank. (he had me by legal contract to rebuild my transmission by the way).

Being I travel for my business I had to leave the next morning for Colorado. On the trip the truck seemed to drive fine, but it ran a little hot, (I did have him put a transmission cooler on it).

Well when I got 10 miles from home, (5 days later), the truck would seem like it would coast and not pull. I brought the truck back to him and of course he was booked up for the next week, so he said and argued with me that it was my fan clutch causing the issue. Being I was ASE certified, (just not on transmissions) I told him he was full of it and I gave him my credentials of my knowledge and schooling.

So I brought it to a local transmission shop and told them the issue. The guy LET ME STAND right there while the tech looked at my truck. 30 minutes, they dropped my tranny and opened it up and the Tech said the clutch plates are the wrong ones just looking at it. I didn't believe it but the OWNER of the transmission shop got the make and model number off the tranny, went and got the parts next door at the Auto Parts House they deal with.

Took out the NEW plates, etc and compared them to the ones I SAW was removed from my tranny and low and behold, the Technician was right. The fly by night I went to put the WRONG parts in my tranny. So guess what? I paid another $1,100.00 to get my tranny rebuilt again. The Owner of Eagle Transmission said the job was actually $1,600.00, but he did feel sorry for me and gave me a discount as well as give me a new torque converter the other fly by night charged me and didn't replace.

The OWNER of Eagle Transmission also let me watch them rebuild my tranny the next day when they started on it. Not all shops will let you in the work bays, some will, but most won't let you stand there while work is being done. I was fortunate that this guy let me as they were not too busy anyway.

After I got it rebuilt the second time 2 weeks later I go take the fly by night to court, and his shop was closed down and he was no where to be found!

So my lession after that was, if I CAN'T FIX IT, it goes to a LEGITIMATE SHOP even though I may pay a higher cost to fix it, but it saves the headache. Even though one may try and save a buck, but that buck can cost you double to 3 times over if you don't bring it the right place.

Stay AWAY FROM most small shops unless you KNOW people who use them and they have a good standing.

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
JoeMoto said:
Not sure what state you're in, but you should contact your state bureau of automotive repair. If he is licensed, you can have them handle the situation. If not, he will be exposed to them for doing business without one.

He MUST have a signed estimate to do the work.
X2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread