Have U ever accidently listed a prohobited item on Ebay?

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has happened to me 4 times in 10 years

1st time was a license plate - they have to be at least 3 years old .

2nd time was a switchblade - Hey , it was over 100 years old . I guess it's OK to sell broken ones , I re-listed it as "non working" it went for $89.00 . The guy was real happy when he got it!

3rd time was a 1800's medical tool with an Ivory handle - Ivory is a no no

4th time was last week . I tried to sell a factory sealed Ghettopoly board game . It was on there for about 12 hours , it had 7 bids at $92.00 ,with 4 days left to go and Ebay pulled it .
Their E-mail said it was OK to re-list it as long as the word "Ghettopoly" was not in the title or description . I put it back in the closet .

Any one else ever get an item removed from Ebay ?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty interesting little post. The only item I can seeing being illegal is the switchblade knife, they have been illegal since the late 50's early 60's in NY from what I remember. I can't believe that the ivory medical instrument is illegal, it was made before any laws went into effect. :dontknow: As for the license plate, I would put it in the closet for another 2 years, duct it off and sell it :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mojjax said:
They do allow pre 1900 ivory - as long as it less than 5% of the of the item being sold .

I have a pure ivory chess set.... Although the pieces are not large, I bet it's worth a small fortune now. My father bought it sometime in the 1930's ;D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a few listings pulled. One was a Cold Steel mini pal knife, they said it was a "punch dagger" and violates terms (big 1" blade). Another was a pair of bone dice because I used the term "ivory" as in "could be made of ivory or bone" then they went on to say that if they were bone that I would have to list what type of animal bone they were made out of. Another one and the most confusing was a small set of vintage risque topless photos because it was listed in the "collectibles" category according to the idiot that I chatted with for an hour. I'm still trying to figure that one out. I mean it was listed in" collectibles- photographic images-contemporary (1940-now)-risque".....seems pretty straightforward to me for a few vintage
topless female photos, right? Nonetheless after an hour on live chat and jumping through a few hoops of fire I was more confused than ever, told them how I felt and just relisted them in the adult only section even though I sold several sets of them already for several weeks in a row in the category that they got pulled from. Go figure........

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I sometimes wonder about the rules on E-Bay. Look in the art section and you see truly gross nudes. You also see "original paintings" that are listed several times at the same time in different auctions. If there "original" how can there be more than one?

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had three things pulled--a Rolex , a vintage railroad lock/key and some Korean War medals/patches. Sometimes I wish eBay would be more SPECIFIC about what you can and can't post.
Did you get one of those surveys from eBay to fill out, Mojjax, after you had your item pulled? I did, and they(eBay) wanted to know what I was going to do with the item that was pulled---was I going to sell it someplace else? ::)

I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to!
It made me feel kinda bad when it happened :-[ .

S

stefen

Out of curiosity I looked up Ghettopoly and here is a description:

"Buying stolen properties, pimpin hoes, building crack houses and projects, paying protection fees and getting car jacked are some of the elements of the game. Not dope enough?...If you don't have the money that you owe to the loan shark you might just land yourself in da Emergency Room."

Is Ebay getting overly policically correct...like picking up a turd by the clean end :dontknow:

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
I had two things pulled, one was a 1925 daisy bb gun...no way to list it so it would it be accepted, not BB , not GUN, not DAISY, nuttin...wound up selling it at a yard sale for 20 bucks....the second thing was a "like new" ladies wetsuit. It had never even been wet, my wife bought it new, but it didn't fit right...too far out of town to return it...apparently , "like new" is an unacceptable term too.what a crock ! >:(

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Ebay has improved quite a bit, and must be hiring people who have a little more common sense. The only thing I can remember having removed was something like a 200 year old brass broken gun part. How the heck that violated anything is beyond me. It almost seemed like it was one of those things to make quota because there would be 10 other items pretty much the same and they'd be ok. These days I haven't run into anything as foolish, and knock on wood haven't really had any big problems.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
I've had three things pulled--a Rolex , a vintage railroad lock/key and some Korean War medals/patches. Sometimes I wish eBay would be more SPECIFIC about what you can and can't post.
Did you get one of those surveys from eBay to fill out, Mojjax, after you had your item pulled? I did, and they(eBay) wanted to know what I was going to do with the item that was pulled---was I going to sell it someplace else? ::)

The Rolex must have been fake, the railroad stuff I just became familiar with a few months ago, but the Korean war items is a surprise. Why the problem with those?

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
sandcreek4 said:

The Rolex must have been fake, the railroad stuff I just became familiar with a few months ago, but the Korean war items is a surprise. Why the problem with those?
I don't know what the problem was with those Korean war items, Iron Patch....They said it violated some kind of rule but were very vague on the actual reason. Just two weeks before I had listed and sold a huge lot of miltary papers, medals and other stuff and a guy in Spain bought it. This stuff was very similar to the items pulled. Do people "flag" stuff on ebay like they do on Craigslist?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
Iron Patch said:
sandcreek4 said:

I don't know what the problem was with those Korean war items, Iron Patch....They said it violated some kind of rule but were very vague on the actual reason. Just two weeks before I had listed and sold a huge lot of miltary papers, medals and other stuff and a guy in Spain bought it. This stuff was very similar to the items pulled. Do people "flag" stuff on ebay like they do on Craigslist?
Yes they do, but it's not the same. They report the listing and if the Ebay Gods deem the listing as violating any of their 1001 rules then they pull the listing. It could as been as simple as a single word that you used in the description. I've learned that you can't argue with them because they hold all the cards so your fighting a losing battle from the get go. I would say that the vast majority of listings that are pulled is because some do gooder has reported the listing as being in violation of the rules. Some people have nothing better to do.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
i tired to sell a Indian Beaded Necklass on EBay and they said you can sell it but you need to prove its a real Indian necklass and what tribe and region it was from and i didnt have all this info they needed for the listing. so i just said forget it :(

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
sandcreek4 said:
Iron Patch said:
sandcreek4 said:

Yes they do, but it's not the same. They report the listing and if the Ebay Gods deem the listing as violating any of their 1001 rules then they pull the listing. It could as been as simple as a single word that you used in the description. I've learned that you can't argue with them because they hold all the cards so your fighting a losing battle from the get go. I would say that the vast majority of listings that are pulled is because some do gooder has reported the listing as being in violation of the rules. Some people have nothing better to do.

But some also provide a very good service and save people a lot of money from being scammed. I'm a member of a Breitling watch forum and they have a replica sub-forum that is purposely dedicated to busting fakes on ebay and they do a hell of a job. Some of these watches are very good, and can have bids in the hundreds or thousands, or a very high fixed price, so it's lucky for unsuspecting buyers there is someone watching out for them. I'm sure the same happens for other items and a good thing it does, and for the system to work well it should take more than just one person to report an item before it's pulled.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
colorado14ers said:
i tired to sell a Indian Beaded Necklass on EBay and they said you can sell it but you need to prove its a real Indian necklass and what tribe and region it was from and i didnt have all this info they needed for the listing. so i just said forget it :(

Sell under this and you'll get it seen and it won't be removed.

Collectibles > Cultures & Ethnicities > Native American US > Non Native American crafts.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
diggummup said:
sandcreek4 said:
Iron Patch said:
sandcreek4 said:

But some also provide a very good service and save people a lot of money from being scammed. I'm a member of a Breitling watch forum and they have a replica sub-forum that is purposely dedicated to busting fakes on ebay and they do a hell of a job. Some of these watches are very good, and can have bids in the hundreds or thousands, or a very high fixed price, so it's lucky for unsuspecting buyers there is someone watching out for them. I'm sure the same happens for other items and a good thing it does, and for the system to work well it should take more than just one person to report an item before it's pulled.
Agreed, especially the second half of the last statement. Also a knowledgeable buyer will ask the appropriate questions and get the appropriate photos before bidding on anything that is high dollar or susceptible to fakes or replicas. I know I would. The old saying about a fool and his money being easily departed, never holds more truth when it comes to buying on ebay. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Iron Patch said:
diggummup said:
sandcreek4 said:
Iron Patch said:
sandcreek4 said:

Agreed, especially the second half of the last statement. Also a knowledgeable buyer will ask the appropriate questions and get the appropriate photos before bidding on anything that is high dollar or susceptible to fakes or replicas. I know I would. The old saying about a fool and his money being easily departed, never holds more truth when it comes to buying on ebay. :thumbsup:

I have seen people drop a few grand than come in to ask those guys if the watch is fake. :laughing7: There was another guy last week who bought two watches that if authentic would probably be close to 10k... and he paid $300. Some people are foolish enough to gamble hundreds on what is probably 10,000-1 odds. One watch was a total mess and nothing even close to something that ever existed.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had some collectable German Army military stuff from World War II. Some of it had that well known symbol of Germany from the years 1934 - 1945. I was not allowed to sell. I'ts quite ironic that you can't sell some of German military collectables but it's ok to sell all of the Soviet and Red China military stuff?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sonoma County Mike said:
I had some collectable German Army military stuff from World War II. Some of it had that well known symbol of Germany from the years 1934 - 1945. I was not allowed to sell. I'ts quite ironic that you can't sell some of German military collectables but it's ok to sell all of the Soviet and Red China military stuff?
I think it's ridiculous. I mean you can sell all the stamps and coins you want or anything else that isn't "military" related with swastikas on it so what's the difference? And yes whether people know it or not there are far worse example of genocide (by mere numbers alone) than what the Nazis did to the Jewish people in WWII by both the Russian Government (Stalin) before the Jewish Holocaust and the Chinese Government (Mao Ze-Dong) after the holocaust.

Sorry to get off topic. The more liberal this country becomes the less freedoms we have, how ironic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread