Moments that make you say, "Ooops!"

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moments that make you say, "Ooops!"

When I was about 18, and still learning the basics of hunting big bucks, I had setup stand in a lone maple tree that stood in the center of a large expanse of over-grown fields and fence rows. At about 9:30am three does and a massive buck emerged from the woods to the east, at four hundred yards I could clearly count twelve high tines extending from his exceptionally wide and thick beams. For a few moments those deer just stood in the field near the edge of that woods, then suddenly they dashed into a narrow creek bottom that, “ran east and west all along the entire field’s south edge.” I couldn’t get over how large that buck’s rack was, just knowing that I could clearly count tines at such a great distance gave me wild fantasies as to how much larger they would appear once I had them in hand. And suddenly, just like that, the hunt was on.

Certain that I had been either spotted or winded, and giving no thought to the possible effects of the rutting period that was in progress, I climbed down from my tree and I slowly stalked on over to where I had last seen those deer as they entered the narrow creek bottom, which as I said, was about 400 yards from the tree I had just been sitting in. My instincts were on high and my light steps were equal to that of a cat on the prowl. With a huge lake on the other side of that narrow creek bottom I was certain that buck didn’t stand a chance, in my mind I was already deciding how that rack was going to look on my wall. But, to my surprise and equally sudden dismay, as I reached the exact spot where Mr. Huge had entered the narrow creek bottom I turned around to look back towards that same tree and there was that same huge buck chasing those same three does all around that same tree I was originally sitting in, about 400 yards away! :laughing7: “Ooops!”

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Moments that make you say, "Ooops!"

:laughing9:

great story.....best ya said more than "oops" when you looked back :laughing7:

Tony (hubby) hunts and he pulled an oops also. He got up at 3---ready to hit the tree stand at 4 and those deer were already there. He scared all away. He said he heard the crashing thru the trees and the snorting as he was stalking up to his treestand.....Just drove him nuts cause they sure didn't come back...lol...he said more than "oops" that morning lol

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Moments that make you say, "Ooops!"

Great story, but the real question is who was hunting whom?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread