WOOD HEATS COMMING BACK

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
They had an offer kinda like that last year, for $3k. We took advantage of it. It doesn't take much to rack up that much with a good heater and THE CHIMNEY! Just the pipe and through the wall and up above the roof is over $1,000, no matter how you play it. We love ours, though.

lincha

Feb 27, 2007
Iowa
Don't forget to talk the the house insurance people about this, some will not cover wood stoves, other will but rates go up, some not much some alot.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using a woodstove for the last 6 years now. Wouldnt heat the house any other way. Its alot of work cutting and splitting your own wood, by hand. But its also gratifying. :icon_thumright:

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Check again, I read where the EPA is getting involved in outdoor wood burning fiurnaces. The chimney must be at least 10' if there are no buildings within 500 feet. OR extend above the peak of the highest part of the roof. Also, the possibility that the noise from the chainsaws
will impact neighbors. (likely those paying the increasing heating costs) It seems the Gov't. can't stand to see independant people. ???

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Used to be the laws were there to protect you. Now they're there to tax you. And the worst part is, you don't know you've done something wrong until they come upon you and tell ya!

Cut the wood, stack the wood, sell the wood, burn the wood. Four steps to incur taxes. Shhhhhhhhh.

If Michelle can fly to Hawaii ahead of OB, at the tune of $63,000 or so, you can cut, stack, sell, and burn.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Where I live the chainsaws roar all winter, except during deer season.
Having the chimney above the peak is a good idea. It just about eliminates down drafts in the chimney which causes most fires by blowing sparks in the house. I'm planning my new system now. I am into the design work. The chimney will be metal pipe inside. It will be comprised of about 30' of pipe. Any heat loss from the metal pipe will be in the house so it should be super efficient. The box will be an airtime unit freestanding in my living room. the pipe will go straight up thru cement board to the upper level then will run at a 4/12 pitch parallel to the roof, but 2' away with cement board above. It will go out the back wall near the Sofia about 2' and then up the required 18" above the roof. The chimney will in effect heat the upper level.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Wood heat is definately the way to go, if your local zoning will allow it.

If you are looking to heat a large home, check into the Century Fireplace furnace. Its made by Century Metal Works out of Joplin Mo. They have almost zero web presence, so you'd have to hunt down a phone # and call them. This thing makes HEAT. It is phenomenally efficient. I have a 2300 sq ft house and can raise the indoor temp 5 degrees on a zero degree day with literally a bundle of kindling not much bigger than a football. It's rated at 250,000 BTU / hr, and with regular split firewood will deliver all of that. The only shortcoming is that it is hard to not OVER heat with it, but for a large home it does work real well.

Diggem'

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I have a home made airtight design , 32 x 16 x 16" firebox . Built a masonry enclosure in my basement and ducted the heat to the cold air return of my he forced air propane furnace . Maintains 3500 sq ft on 3 levels at 55 degrees above ambient outside temp . Furnace only comes on on extreme days . Bought $800 (5 loads) firewood last year and ran out end of Jan . Propane bill for Feb alone was $1,000 . Bought 2 more loads this year ($320) to cover this coming Feb .

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the one thing thats on my want list.. a good ole fashioned wood stove and one I can cook on too.. am just about ready to say, screw the gas companies..... I seriously would prefer a wood stove.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Bootybay said:
That is the one thing thats on my want list.. a good ole fashioned wood stove and one I can cook on too.. am just about ready to say, screw the gas companies..... I seriously would prefer a wood stove.
Just don't confuse the issue . You can do limited cooking on a wood heating stove like I have. We have a wood cook stove as well . Love it . Unfortunately , by design , a cook stove does not contribute a lot to home heat .
Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a geothermal furnace and my house is all electric, about 1600 sq ft. living area not including finished full basement. I use a small Lopi wood stove, highly efficient. I supplement wood heat maybe 50%, and only burn about one cord of wood all winter. My total bill last month was $175, with four of us living here.
What's crazy is that my stove pipe is about 20 feet tall, exits straight out the roof peak. In ten years, I have never had to clean it, three years ago I examined the pipe and found almost no creosote build-up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions