Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Most scared you've ever been?

When I was in the Air Force stationed on a bombing range I was controlling traffic. An F101 made a simulated nuclear drop where the plane would approach the target , make a vertical climb and release the bomb. Then he would pull off to a safe distance while the bomb continued up to about 1500 ft, then drop straight back down toward the target. The bomb was a "shape", the same size and weight as a nuclear bomb only it was filled with 2000 lbs of concrete. The plane made his release and the bomb went out of sight over the top of the tower. That in essence made the tower the target instead of the target pylon that was some 1500 yards out in front of the tower. The Weapons Controller, a 1st Lieutenant and I dropped our gear and ran out on the catwalk to see where that bomb was going to land. It looked like it was coming straight down at us but we couldn't tell for sure! We had enough time to discuss whether we should jump off the tower or stay put. It was 50 ft to the ground! We stayed put and the bomb hit about 20 yards from us and sprayed the tower with rocks, concrete an metal shrapnel from the impact crater that was about ten ft. deep and 30 feet across! The pilot was thrown off the range and disqualified for an unsafe release and we got covered with dirt and debris from the impact, but no serious injuries, just a few bruises and scratches. Of course we had to take a long bathroom break or at least long enough to stop shaking and for out hearts to stop pounding! As it turned out the pilot was unfamiliar with the range and had sighted on the tower instead of the pylon. Somewhere in my records I have a letter from the pilot , a captain, apologizing to me, an Airman 2nd class at the time, for nearly killing me, which was quite unusual. The Lt really got pissed because he didn't get one! Monty

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast

vic910 said:
Then there was the ride Thunder Mountain at Disney World. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever again will I go on that ride! I know, don't laugh.

vicki
fleamistress said:
Space Mountain-memory jolt. More concrete--thanks. A 15yo, Kid 4, and me. I do not like rollercoasters.

I love roller coasters have riden everything florida has to offer except everest and almost had a chance to last weekend except the people i was with chickened out, cant decied if favorite is MGM's rockin roller coaster or busch gardens kumba <- might make a good thread to a new post

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good

Wow... Just read all the replies in this thread. I don't have anything that would even come close, but I used to have a manager years ago that at one time worked for the Denver police dept and carried a .38 under the car seat. One night someone cut her off on the highway exit ramp when she was on the way home and slammed on the brakes. Having nowhere to go she stopped and for her own safety she pulled out the .38 from under the seat. The guy in the other car walked back to her car apparently pi$$ed off for some reason. He had a baseball bat in his hand. As he walked up to her window she rolled it down and pointed the gun at him and said "You stupid a$$ - - Didn't your mamma ever tell you not to bring a baseball bat to a gunfight?".... He turned around and got in his car and drove away.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think mine would be the day my first son was born. I was sitting in a chair next to my wife's bed. All of a sudden I heard a sort of...whooosh sound. She told me to get a nurse because her water had just broke.........................BROKE???!!! To me "Broke" was a bad thing. I went running into the hallway hollering for people. They were telling me to take it easy but, to me, they just were not reacting the way I thought they should. Whatever happened to "Code Blue" and all that stuff?

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast

Monty, you just reminded me of another heart stopping moment. It was about 1980 I was in the navy on dd 972 spruance class Destroyer. I was a fire control tech at the time. We were doing a refueling at Sea, (formation were several ships pull up to a tanker lines are shot across the deck and you pull bigger and bigger ropes till you pull the refueling hoses across) anyhow we already were taking on fuel i don't remember the rate but it was something like hundreds of gallon per minute. We were also receiving supplies and ordnances by helicopter.. I was in the missile division and we were waiting for some seasparrows missile's to be delivered. still taking on fuel and here comes the helicopter with our missile's- well someone screwed up and he dropped the missile's about 15ft to the deck.. EMEGENCY BREAKAWAY, EMEGENCY BREAKAWAY on all ships the idea is to put as much distance as possible between them one goes left one goes right one goes forward one stops . you get the idea Meantime me and another sailor had to push it off the deck. did not breath until a minute after i watched it sink

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Probably the worst for me was the time the local authorities shut down my favorite Chinese restaurant.

But it was reopened a few weeks later and shut down again a few weeks after that. This was a very traumatic time for me but I survived.

It opened again a few weeks later and is still open today as I type this.

Please consider a moment of silence in behalf of my favorite restaurant.

Thank you very much.

Badger

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MB they close places like that for sanitation/health code violations for good reasons consider another place to get the trots....

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

when my dad had a heart attack and needed quadruple bypass surgery. we really thought we had lost him. his heart problems are still scary. :'(

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)

Will_Detectforfood, what was the name of the DD you were on. What port were you stationed at. I was on a couple fram type DD's one out of Pa and the other out of NJ. (Boiler Tech.)
Mike

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[=fleamistress
Tapioca--I'll show you something scarier if you don't accomplish your quest--Me.
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Cyn
******s
Sheehs amor mia, that IS just about as scary as when they told me "It's time for you to go get a job" horrors!

Tropical Tramp

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

Michigan Badger said:
Probably the worst for me was the time the local authorities shut down my favorite Chinese restaurant.

But it was reopened a few weeks later and shut down again a few weeks after that. This was a very traumatic time for me but I survived.

It opened again a few weeks later and is still open today as I type this.

Please consider a moment of silence in behalf of my favorite restaurant.

Thank you very much.

Badger

You think it was tamatic for you?!?!?!
Think about how tramatic it was for all the kitties in the area!!!!

;D ;D ;D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Mighty AP said:
A guy robbed me in a real bad neighborhood in Long Beach California about 15 years ago. Id been drinking a little (i used to do that quite a bit), he walked up & pulled a small calliber revolver & demanded my wallet. I was a little buzzed & felt realy brave or realy stupid so I proceeded to tell him to rot in hell. He put that pistol right up to my forehead & cocked the hammer.............I knew at that moment I was a dead man if I didnt give it up! This guy wasnt messin around & wouldnt think twice about cappin a big white boy. I gave him my wallet with less than $20 in it & he ran off like a rabbit, made a bee line to his crack connection Im sure. i'll never forget that feeling I had at that moment, the look in his eyes. Scary stuff...........
You are lucky he didn't shoot ya after he robbed ya. >:( Murders here in Miami don't usually even make the news.

icegator

Apr 22, 2006
Maurice Louisiana
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x

was the manager of a domino's pizza. was making a deposit at the time in my office and had a girl working the front of the store for me. she came to my door and called my name and when i turned the guy put the gun in between my eyes.and it was my birthday. my life flashed before my eyes. i didn't look him in the face and while getting the deposit from me the gun went off in the ceiling and i thought he had shot the girl and was going to shoot me next. my eyes were closed and i was waiting for my bullet. but he left and was eventually caught. for about 2 months after that i could feel the guy there while i sat at my desk.

ice

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma

I was working nights, sleeping during the day. My 15 year old stepson had 2 friends in the house after school, against the rules. One of them was messing around with a disposable lighter that had been turned up to "turbo flame". When he flicked it the flame shot up about 2 feet and caught some decorative reeds on fire. My stepson picked up the basket they were in and was trying to run the burning reeds out the front door. His hands got burned and he dropped the basket on the living room floor, scattering the burning reeds all over.

I remember waking up to the smoke alarm going off and loud thumps. I jump out of bed in my skivvies and open my bedroom door. In the living room I see flames. Although they were small I about crapped my pants. 3 teenaged boys are jumping up and down on the floor trying to put the reeds out. "What the..." was all I got out, as I took a deep breath of smoke that choked off any other words that could come out.

I guess I ought to replace that carpet...

What the hell. It's a rental house. They can take it out of my deposit. ;D

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've had two bad scares and both was while I was in the Army serving in Vietnam. The first time was when the enemy had our platoon penned down in an open field. We were taking mortar and small arms fire. I was a medic and went to give aid to five of our men who were wounded by mortar shrapnel. I could hear bullets and shrapnel whizzing by my head as I was out in the open. God must have been watching out for me because I didn't even get a scratch out of it.

The next time I had a bad scare was when we were wading across a rice paddy. The water was muddy and all of a sudden I stepped into a hole. I was wearing an eighty pound backpack which helped carry me under the water. I was going down for the third time when the guy behind me was able to grab my backpack and pull me out. I really thought I was a goner !

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750

July, 1973. I had just graduated college and joined the Peace Corps. We were on our way to Zaire, Africa for our training and assignment and stopped in Uganda to refuel. About 10 minutes after taking off from the Uganda airport, the pilot walked back and told us that Idi Amin had threatened to send his entire jet airforce (both planes!) after us and shoot us out of the sky if we didn't return to the airport immediately! Seems the pilot made a "suspicious" turn while taking off. We turned around and when we landed at the airport, were immediately surrounded by Ugandan army troops and various large weapons of destruction. The troops invaded the plane and held us at gunpoint...and they had bunches of automatic rifles, complete with clips in place. The sounds of them chambering rounds after they boarded us was probably the second worst moment...when they pointed them at us and had a truly wild and crazy look in their eyes, kinda like they were on "something", if you know what I mean, was the #1 worst, scariest moment.

After 9 hours in the plane, we were allowed to get off. We ended up spending 2 nights at a hotel, but with armed guards at the entrances, the gates and on the roof. Finally, we were released and sent back to the airport, but the plane had been released the day before. It took another 1/2 day to get a plane in to get us out of there. Heck of a way for a 21 year old Kajun kid to start his "Peace" Corps service!

HH, ya'll!
Kajun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread