Most scared youve ever been?

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Most scared you've ever been?

Whats the most scared you've ever been? One time me and some friends were camping pretty far in some woods no one uses, it was like 1 o'clock and we were getting ready to go to sleep when we hear footsteps going through the woods near the tent. We thought it was an animal or something untill we saw the silhouet of a person on the tent wall :o We nearly pissed ourselves we were so spooked. We had no fire or anything that would attract a person out that far...

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Re: Most scared you've ever been?

Eastbound on Interstate something-or-other in Iowa. Going over a long bridge over some river (Cedar maybe?). Two lanes each way. I'm in the left lane, a tractor-trailer rig with a couple of those big John Deere tractors in the right. I'm running neck and neck with the semi as we crest the bridge. That's when I notice a car ahead of me in my lane. "Funny, I don't recall a car ahead of me...." Then I realize I'm looking at the wrong end of the car! On a fricking bridge! With NOWHERE to go. Lock 'em up, dump the wife, baby daughter, and dog on the floor in the process (no seat belts in use back then) and duck in behind the semi missing the back of the semi AND the front of the little old lady's Cadillac by just a few feet.

Shoulda soiled myself, but I really didn't have time to

Diggem'

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool

A guy robbed me in a real bad neighborhood in Long Beach California about 15 years ago. Id been drinking a little (i used to do that quite a bit), he walked up & pulled a small calliber revolver & demanded my wallet. I was a little buzzed & felt realy brave or realy stupid so I proceeded to tell him to rot in hell. He put that pistol right up to my forehead & cocked the hammer.............I knew at that moment I was a dead man if I didnt give it up! This guy wasnt messin around & wouldnt think twice about cappin a big white boy. I gave him my wallet with less than $20 in it & he ran off like a rabbit, made a bee line to his crack connection Im sure. i'll never forget that feeling I had at that moment, the look in his eyes. Scary stuff...........

Attachments

• bottle cap.jpg
    bottle cap.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 751
  • bottle cap.jpg
    bottle cap.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 767
M

mchamby

I guess the most scared I have ever been was waking up in the middle of Cancer sx because they hadn't given me enough anesthesia. I had nightmares for weeks after I came home, I kept reliving the pain and thinking I was dead. I have woken up now about 3 times during biopsys and other unpleasant test. My body for some reason needs more anesthesia than most. I had one Dr apologize and told me he couldn't give me anymore and that same amt would have knocked him on his a$$. :-\ :'(
But I'm still alive to talk about it and a few years have past.
Mchamby

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Detecting and having lightning hit very close.

Gun in the face (like Mighty AP's story). Wasn't really that scared...it was a damn 15 year old kid with a stainless 9mm demanding my wallet. I kind of smiled and said "sure, no problem, but it's empty". He said "Now, bitch!" I dangled the wallet open in front of him to show him it was empty. He swore and got in the car that was waiting for him. He shot a guy in the gut 20 minutes later at another gas station (he lived...250 stitches). They ended up catching the guy...he said he did it "for his momma", but he was another crack head.

Fell asleep at the wheel and woke up in the median of I-80 heading for an abuttment when a truck started blowing his horn to wake me up...guy saved my life.

Skiing in CO with a hangover. Was hauling ass and came upon a cat track that cut across the run. Wham! hit it and flew into the air. Was trying to slow down and I see another cat track. Wham! and fly a good 30 feet. Still trying to slow down and, I couldn't believe it, another one! Wham! this time I fly even further. Totally out of control...I can't even see what's going on anymore...it was like a motion picture in fast-forward. At this point I hit the final cat track and go airborne again. My legs are mush and I can barely see...I see a big white blur and head for it thinking it's an open area...it was...I slow down and finally stop. I probably should have just fallen down, but I hate to fall. Luckily I didn't kiss a tree. I would give anything for a video.

There's more, but there are things I'd rather forget.

TBGO

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast

When I was 14 camping with the boy scouts of America at Philmont scout ranch, back in 1976 We had a cool campsite near a crystal clear stream I heard it come down the mountain, then cross the stream, it stepped on one the tent roes and pulled the stake out of the ground as it passed. I moved to look out to see a 6-7 ft brown bear rip my backpack out of tree. then slice it open to get a pack of swiss miss chocolate i had been hiding ( we were supposed to hang all the food in bags between the trees for this reason) the bear heard me or smelled me and the came over and with one swipe of its razor sharp claws tore open my tent. I layed there I had my hand on a 6 inch hunting knife (no other weapons) and played dead. the bear pushed at me , then smelled me so close as to leave its slobbers on my face. i was really scared but didn't move. i think the bear knew i was alive because it came back 3 times and smelled me again and again. it seemed like it was there forever..

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool

Wow! (Im gonna die...........Im gonna die...............) Dont think id wanna go like that WD4F!!! :(

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 718
  • A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 722

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

got robbed with a buddy in a "bad area" back in high school in chicago we were making a pit stop for gas,smokes,the pisser couple guys get in the car and sit down in the car as we pulled up WTF we both look at each other look in the back seat and they pull out couple of pistols "were going for a ride" US "OK were to" LMAO well long story short robbed us stuck guns to our heads in our ears thought they were going to pop my buddy!! funny thing now i think about it i really wasn't scared was going on instinct(the lizard part of the brain took over)...the scariest thing thats happened to me was about 3 years ago thought me and the GF were going to be parents WOOOOOO
DODGED THAT BULLET.....oh the bloody rape victim that came banging on the store window i was cleaning was a freak out not so much scared....not to sound to stuck on myself but i really don't get scared to often that i can remember maybe when i was kid and didn't understand things as well and wasn't in control of my fears ,thoughts,feelings etc..I'm to damn logical sometimes....oh i almost drowned as a kid once now that was F------
scary watching the lifeguard looking at me like "hu whats this kid doing",sucking water down my throat,going down in the deep end ,couldnt feel the bottom all that good S---........i face my fears now head on to defeat them...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'v had alot of things Happen that when I look Back,
I supposed I should have been Scared,
Falling Through Ice on a Dam
Crossing a RR Track & seeing a Train Barreling at me.
Threatened with a Gun (Well not Threatened) Everyone who was Watching said I should Have been Scared, But I just Laughed at him.
Seeing Someone or Something Stalking me & a Girlfriend in the woods in the Dark (This one Unnerved Us) But when I think Back,
I guess a Little Scared. We Hopped in my Car & split :P before even uttering a word what we saw. or Thought we saw.

The only True Fear I remember is from recurring Nightmares,
of 3 white Beings. Usually when I initially wake up (Probably still
half asleep) I feel real fear.
it's strange because My lights wont work, till I'm fully awake.
once I get a Light on the fear subsides & I start thinking "That was Cool"
I'v had this dream in one form or another since I was a Child (late 50's Early 60's ?).
went away in the 70's came back in the Mid 80's.
(and NO, I Don't think Grays :D
just Coincidental Nightmares)

Altho I do remember Waking up for school one morning in the early 60's & Swearing there was something stuck way up my nose.
or maby I just liked Sticking my finger there back then :P

I do believe the Implant Belief is a "Birth Memory" in everyone,
from the Moment the Doctor Shoves that Syringe in the Baby's nose
to Open it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was going to say diving under the ice to retrieve a snowmobile that broke through and my life line came undone. I looked up and didn't see the hole I came through as the dude that was tending the line pulled it back up when he didn't feel me pulling on it. Soon I spotted a yellow line zoom to the bottom in a faint ray of light as someone tossed a weighed line back down the hole for me to find. I was shot once and wasn't scared as much as it hurt like hell. No, I wasn't running from the police..................

Scary stories guys and gals. Take care....
Sandman

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shoot damn elaberate..... ???

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III

I've had plenty of close calls that were scary, but the most terrifying was in 1987. I'm watching the Dallas game on the TV instead of being out on Skywarn with the hams as a big storm was coming in. It was in OT, Hershel Walker took the handoff and broke down the left sideline. Then the tv went dead. I was cursing all the way to the window to look outside, peaked out and saw a telephone pole and a car go tumbling by. It took a few seconds for me to realize I was looking at a tornado from about 50 feet away, and it was coming straight at my house. I was actually mesmerized staring at this thing. I watched the debris go by, watched the roof of the building across the street tumble by, then was jolted back into reality when the debris hitting my house started making it into the living room with me. I took a sliver of glass in my right shoulder before I could dive into the bathroom and wrap myself around the toilet. I could hear impacts, breaking glass, wood cracking, the slight pressure drop, then I was feeling wind swirling in the bathroom with me. Things went quiet and it began to rain again with some small hail, in the bathroom. Tore up my house, wrecked my brand new 1988 car that I hadn't even made the first payment on. I did put it in the garage, but we never found the garage. It killed 10 and injured 160. Luckily it was a Sunday, because the tornado hit an elementary school and nothing was left but the foundation. Scared doesn't even begin to describe my feeling while hugging the toilet.

Rich

jeff194307

Greenie
Dec 26, 2005
Monmouth IL

Phillipines,1969. On perimeter foot patrol at Clark Air Base with one other guy. Someone in the jungle outside the fence opened up on us with an automatic weapon. When we saw those bullets hitting the roadway in front of us, we both dived into the ditch, with full knowledge of the possibility of a cobra living in that ditch. Returned fire, but it is unknown if we hit anyone. That had to be the scariest night of my life.

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL

A couple of years ago my 10 year old went up on the roof with his dad. I just happened to walk into the bathroom as my son fell through the skylight and almost right into my arms! I was able to break his fall and he ended up with only a scratch from the plexiglass. He just barely missed the edge of the tile on the shower with his head and landed with one foot in the toilet!

Then there was the ride Thunder Mountain at Disney World. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever again will I go on that ride! I know, don't laugh.

vicki

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

I've been drawn on, and even shot at.... met one of my mining friends at the wrong end of an SKS, but those weren't really scary... if I had been scared, I probably wouldn't be here.

About the scariest thing that ever happened to me, that I can recall was when i woke up in the middle of the night to find a hairy face staring at me through the window. We had a light outside, so he was backlit. The window was six feet off the floor from the inside, but there was a two foot drop to ground level outside. 8 feet to the window, with no furniture or nothing out there to stand on. That shook me up! I was about 10 at the time, but I still haven't figured it out completely.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

Floating the Snake River in Grand Teton National Park with an idiot at the oars that didn't know what he was doing. We met him at a friends birthday party the night before. He said he had a raft but no truck to haul it any where. Well, I had a truck. So the next day we all meet and drive up into the park.
There was about eight of us in the raft. More on inner tubes following along. Included in our little group was a gal with her 3 year old. No life vests. But we did have the last 1/2 keg of beer left over from the party. We're on the water for only about a half mile when a couple of us start telling this guy he better start heading to one side or the other of the river to miss that snag up ahead. He says he knows what he's doing. The current will take us right by the snag. So we hit the snag dead on. Current is bouncing the raft up and down pretty good. And it's an old raft. Very low sides compared to todays. So the five guys hop out to try to push the raft off the snag. Water is almost waist deep. Current's moving pretty good. We have to keep picking our feet up one at a time like climbing stairs because we sink down into the gravel if we don't. I'm three feet away from this snag knowing if I slip that's it. I'll get sucked right down into it. We got the raft off the snag but only made it a mile or so down river before a ranger in a boat pulls us over. Turns out the raft was stolen. So we had a 3/4 mile hike to the highway dragging a keg of beer and our fishing gear. Don't know what ever happened to our new "friend". It wasn't too many years earlier a good buddy had drowned in the Snake. Seems like a couple of people a year drowned on that river back then. It's not a situation I'd want to repeat.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Probably the scarest moment for a lot of TN members was when Free-2detect came out of the closet.
All of those gushy really personal messages they sent to the beautiful Free2 detect had been sent to a middle aged man.

HH
George

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

Standing in the bottom of a ditch with ten feet high walls and nowhere to go or hide, seven guys trying to kill me from the top of the ditch with baseball sized rocks from about fifty feet away. One round later, it was all over.

Confucius say: Bad guy with hole through chest not so bad anymore.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I remember the guy you're talking about slow sweeper.

I remembered a climbing incident where I think I was more distressed and scared than at any other time. I was climbing a peak called Pangora in the Wind River range in Wyoming. There was the guide and three of us teenagers. Pangora, in the Cirque of the Towers, means "inaccessible peak" in the regional indian dialect (don't remember which). Anyway, I followed the guide and had to pull out his protection (chocks) as I climbed while he belayed me from above. At one point, with at least 600 feet of vertical exposure below, I had to remove this huge chock he had used. I had one sloping hand hold that didn't really have much to hold onto and a tiny friction nubbin for one foot. I tried to get that chock out for 20 minutes with one hand...and one leg hanging out in space. It wouldn't budge. I couldn't go on without removing it because the rope went through it. My two friends 40 feet below (Kenny Oberreit and Curtis May...you might remember them sweeper) could hear my pant leg vibrating against my leg I was shaking so much with anxiety and fatigue. If I fell I probably would have lived since we were doing things correctly, but with nothing but air below you falling is not an acceptable option. I finally got the chock out and made it the rest of the way up that particular pitch. Whew!

TBGO

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When Jeff of Pa was going to kick me off the forum...... :D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread