New Improved Huck Finn

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New 'Improved' Huck Finn

Seems they're rewriting 'Huckleberry Finn' just so they can eliminate the 'N-word'.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/2011-01-06-twain06_ST_N.htm

This offends me. Deeply. I get offended when I send a letter to the editor and he changes it without notation. This far surpasses that as my diatribe can hardly be called literature. Can they still put Mark Twain's name in the author line? Seems the English teachers of today should be more concerned with the butcherization of the language rather then coaxing a reluctant few to pick up a book in the first place.

I really can't imagine what they were thinking, but they got it wrong. Really really wrong. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New 'Improved' Huck Finn

Pretty lame, in my opinion. Never understood why a N-word can say N-word but a Honk-y can't, or N-words can call each other N-word, yet become offended if a Honk-y calls them N-word. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: Twain's works are classics. Sacrilage to edit them. What's next, PC idiots rewriting history?
Robin

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In Richmond, VA they are taking slavery and the Civil War out of history books, so what they are telling me is that when these children get to college and take U.S. History, they'll be lost and fail the class. I think they need to raise the grade requirement, for teaching about Slavery or the Civil War. For example: don't teach it to them in 5th grade, teach them in 11th grade. Sounds to me that we need to stop lowering the bar and raise it. I have to say that I have enjoyed college and look forward to someone asking me about the true Huck Finn.. :read2:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gee ! Why not just Burn the books out of our History ? :'(

They can be glad I Don't have a Kid in school.
I Wouldn't allow A kid of mine to Read, or hear,
a Phoney copy in school.

Or bring a Censored Version of it in My house.

What next ? take the word Indian out of the History Books ?
call the Civil War a "Police Action" ?

Many Twain scholars can't stand it. But Alan Gribben, professor of English at Auburn University-Montgomery, says his new edition is not for them. It's for readers who cannot get past the slur to take in the rest of the book — and thereby understand Twain's opposition to racism.

Teachers have told him that they cannot use the book in class because parents and students find the language "hurtful" and "injurious." At public readings, he has routinely substituted "slave," he says, and hears "an audible sigh of relief" from the audience.

"When the younger reader is staring at that word five times on a given page and the instructor is saying, 'Mark Twain didn't mean this and you have to read it with an appreciation of irony,' you're asking a lot of a younger reader," Gribben says.

??? Isn't that the reason they are in school ?
to Read & Understand ???

TEACH !!!! "Teacher" !!!!

S

Smee

Why is anyone surprised . . . some churches have been doing that to the Bible for many many moons.

If they can change that old book to suit themselves (adding or removing), why not literature and history?

People, it is important to remember that an educated public cannot be enslaved. The dark ages are evidence of what happens when education is withheld and history rewritten.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This seems reasonable to me. :dontknow:

After all most of the text books being used today contain misinformation in every facet. There is a great book called "The Dictionary of Misinformation", if you can get, or read a copy, you will find it so entertaining. Imagine dedicating and publishing a whole book on misinformation alone. :tongue3:

Here is but one little gem for you.

What is Big Ben?

Most will say it's the clock in London.... Right?

Well it's not the clock, it's the "bell" inside the clock :laughing9:

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia

Schools do not teach! The teachers practice the proficiency tests. This is how the schools get funding. Ohio was much worse then West Virginia. If my family and I had stayed in Ohio we were going to home school.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

They should have got a black guy to write those words into the script and then credited him with doing so....problem solved! :thumbsup:

K

Kentucky Kache

texastee2007 said:
they will have to go back in time to rewrite President Abraham Lincoln's speeches as he also used the n word often. He may have set the slaves free but still thought of them as n....s Sort of a sad thing if you think about it.

You have to remember, at that time the term "political correctness" didn't exist.
Then, the "N" word was a common word, and was not meant as derogatory. If we look back at the root of that word, I believe we'll find it in Africa. So I don't think it started as a bad word, but an actual name.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.

What next are they going to find all the copies of Gone with the wind and eliminate the part where a member of the serving staff says " Mrs Scarlett ',We don't know nothing about no farming we's house neggers?"
There that is more to the point.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When my kids were in highschool last year,I would often look in their History books and look thru the chapters to see if they left out anything.You'll be surprised what you'll NOT FIND!

Take a look,no civil war,no Holocaust,not much on the Korean War,very little on any wars .
I belive they don't want to make anybody mad!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cdltpx said:
What next are they going to find all the copies of Gone with the wind and eliminate the part where a member of the serving staff says " Mrs Scarlett ',We don't know nothing about no farming we's house neggers?"
Honestly makes no difference I will tell you why through out histore human population has remained steady around 1 billion people until we hit the industrial revolution it was then around the 1900's when population took off until it has landed where it is today ~7 billion people. What too happend at that time well we began using oil oil production was in its infancy some places all you needed was buckets to collect it. Now we seek it in 15K ft of water the low hanging fruit has been used and we are left with ever more challenging discovery and production methods. We have passed an era called cheap oil crossed over the peak production of this resource and if population has remained linear with the production of this resource then so should its decline. We are about to enter the most challenging period of human history an era where fiat currency shall be worthless. This is evidenced in the cost for oil gold silver and soon food. Why food because according to Michael Ruppert it takes some 11 calories to produce 1 calorie of food in the so called free world when we loose the benefit of this cheap oil we shall too see sharp decline in the production of food.
Proof is in the history Soviet Union break up caused disruptions in supply of oil two nations dependant on that oil handled the crisis very differently Cuba told her subjects to farm every inch of ground around if you saw land that was dormant grow something on it they did and Cubans have eaten better as of late than they have in the entire rule of Castro.
North Korea on the other hand is a system where the leader is worshipped they didn't get that memo from Cuba and if they had they could not have grown anything because their leader dictates every living second of these peoples lives and they starved to death they starved to death in the millions.
We are so close to where these nations were and what has our government chosen to do? Pass HR2751 the food safety bill AKA the patriot act of food. They are trying to take the North Korean route in the original bill S510 they would have you buy permit to grow fish farm process transport food, you could be penalized criminally for infractions and ect ect. This bill is the wrong direction we should be doing as in Detroit where they are working community gardens in an organic agriculture method just as in Cuba. This not an ism this is survival and the people that grasp this and makes the changes are going to be the ones that wrote of the great extenction of homo-sapiens hydrocarbonous. Your most valuable resource will not be your gold or your money that system is gone your most valued posession shall be your seed your children and your crops. We must get our hands on quality seeds and we need to learn to cultivate ASAP your very life your childrens lives depend on it.
When we look at all the lives snuffed out in the last hundred years 6 million Jews, 20-40 million Russians 80 million Chineese 6 million Cambodians, and that is just genocide and concentration camps it doesn't list all the wars. Those death numbers are but a flash in the pan compared to the loss of 5.5 Billion people. Oil will not dissapear instantly it will go through it's market woes but when it reaches the point where 10 calories of energy is expounded to get 5 calories of oil the game is up no amount of money will cause the alteration of a system that has been in place to provide food for the greatest of the population of the planet. Many areas animals will be hunted to their limits the fish shall be decimated in a vain attempt to support life as we know it.
Now thats deep.
As far as the topic of this thread goes....Alabama-based NewSouth Publishing is the company responsible for removing the "N" word from this brilliant novel. Even some African-American scholars say NewSouth’s new modified edition “whitewashes” an American masterpiece and creates a slew of social ills.

Twain himself did not take kindly to editing, Hirst says. When he discovered a printer had made punctuation changes to A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, he wrote that he had "given orders for the typesetter to be shot without giving him time to pray."

:laughing7:---Now those were the days!

Personally I agree with Randall Kennedy, Harvard Law School professor and author of a book on the history of the racial epithet in question, says that the term is historically appropriate and that "trying to erase the word from our culture is profoundly, profoundly wrong."
Swapping "slave" for the epithet is not the same as, say, rewriting Chaucer from Middle English into contemporary language to make it more accessible, Kennedy says. "This isn't to make it more accessible. This is to cover up a word that hurts people's feelings and is just a very volatile word."

--another classic example of the pu55ification of America. Welcome to the new America, just one step closer to the NWO.

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer

diggummup said:
I could'nt agree more with the professor.
We think in words, therefore, if we evade the accurate terms for what we're discussing, over time it will alter our thoughts about them. I refuse to allow anyone the privilege of reshaping my thoughts by constricting my vocabulary.
They're not "gay.." they're homosexuals.
They're not "black.." they're Negroes.
They're not "homeless.." they're street-dwelling bums.
They're not "non-marital births.." they're illegitimate children.
It's not "a woman's right to choose.." it's abortion as contraception.

S

Smee

Makes me think about starting a website to translate the news from "politically correct" to plain english . . . I'd probably end up being sued, but since there's nothing to take the joke would be on them :tongue3:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All I can say is keep it up America because as the old saying goes-

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." - Edmund Burke

Or you can go with the slightly modified newer version which is inscribed on a plaque at the Auschwitz concentration camp translated into Polish -

"the one who does not remember history is bound to live through it again" - George Santayana

So go ahead America try to erase the history of this country, my supplies are stockpiled, i'm locked and loaded and ready for action.

Whoops maybe I shouldn't say that, some bleeding heart liberalist will take me seriously...... no seriously. Ehh, it'll be against the law before long anyway, you know..... free speech.

When a POS law breaking gangster thug lowlife like Lil Wayne (just one example of many) can become a millionaire in this country and certain a group of people actually look up to this scum then we know we are in serious trouble.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What are we going to call the 4th ace in a deck of cards?hearts , clubs, diamonds,(shovel ????)

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.

onfire said:
What are we going to call the 4th ace in a deck of cards?hearts , clubs, diamonds,(shovel ????)
I don't expect the USA to be politically correct for too much longer. I wrote an article in this section called 5.5 Billion people expected to die in the next 40 years. I believe this economic down turn was engineered to reduce the consumption of oil. It also shows that money talks and BS walks literally those with money will speak their orders and those without money will march. Since we know the majority of the people on the planet today are here as a direct result of oil exploitation I believe that if we personally don't do something to carry our own weight and then some we shall not have the excess needed to survive the hard times. Right now they are all talking about the wonderful advancements Cuba has made but they still import half of their food that is not a total sauces that either means that they will have 50% more production or 50% reduction in population. I do not put it past all government finding a way to kill millions of people just to insure all the animals will not go extinct. As oil increases in prices those able to pay will be fewer and fewer as in the time of Joseph people will starve and become dependent on the stores of a nation. Those with insight would do well to develop cultivation methods that are very efficient and organic. Aquaponics is that way it can produce both fish and veggies with little water build your system using solar pumping systems and you should have consistant production of fish shrimp veggies spices etc. Also the production and refinement of biogas (methane) by revamping our sewer systems will provide fuel to cook with if we refine that gas we can use it in an ICE engine there are solutions and they are not that expensive but we have to be practical and diligent in the application of these old ways none of this is new both of what I have mentioned have been around for centuries you can check the history of both Egyptians did aquaponics and the Chinese cultivated biogas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions