When meeting a potential client today....

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I was meeting a potential client today at a common place to meet people (a sit down venue). I showed up, walked inside, looked around from anyone that might be looking for someone else, went back outside, did the same thing... Then did this for the next 20 minutes. All I saw the whole time were people drinking their coffee and typing away at their laptops. I even stopped many of times to make eye contact with various patrons, and tried to make it obvious that I was looking for someone. He did not appear to be there so I left after 20 minutes of this.
I get home and call him. He tells me that he was there the same time I was... he then says, "How am I supposed to find if I don't know what you look like". My response was, "I'm the guy that looks like he's looking around for someone to meet. I'm the guy that's doesnt' have coffee, doing nothing else but looking like I'm trying to find someone". He responds with,
"We'll I didn't have your cell number".
"Yes, I know, so you should have looked around for someone that looked like they were looking for someone right at the exact time we were supposed to meet".
"We'll, I called your office".
"I wasn't at the office, I was at that place looking for you".
"Well, I just don't know. I typically expect something more professional".

Just WOW.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
texastee2007 said:
always good to exchange phone numbers and ask "what will you be driving...what color shirt do you have on...tell the hostest your are expecting to meet someone...etc" at least that has always worked for me...

Yep, your right. I guess I should have told him, "I'll be in a _____ car", ...or "Look for me because I'll be looking for you". My guess is that he was one of the people with a coffee in hand, studying his laptop without any concern of people walking in, let alone looking around for someone.

I don't know. I just think he should have at least looked around for someone else looking around for someone. I mean, it was a small place. If he had only looked up, he would have seen some stupid looking guy that looked like he was looking for someone.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Dick from IA said:
Mike, I believe you may be the fortunate one in not finding this particular individual.... :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Actually, you are spot on with that comment. However, I'll play the game some more, just because it is a 'potential client', and it'll pay the bills. Other than that, if it gets too much more harry, I'll be fine with just calling it a "failure to communicate". ...and I don't even eat 50 eggs.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you had a fun day. :tongue3: I'm also in sales, and I have some friendly advise for you. Since you want this persons business, in the future make sure you have their cell phone to contact them, as well as giving yours. In cases like these, you have to show the initiative, this only puts any customer at ease knowing they are working with a professional. :icon_thumleft:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
always good to exchange phone numbers and ask "what will you be driving...what color shirt do you have on...tell the hostest your are expecting to meet someone...etc" at least that has always worked for me...

:thumbsup: same here :coffee2:

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Hey Mike,

You need some business cards. I just got 10 free the other day from moo.com and they did a fine job so I will be ordering from them because card stock, ink and time are things I don't want to waste.

http://us.moo.com/uploader/?type=businesscard&pack=10&promotional=1&ppid=113

It took about five minutes for me because I don't do anything fancy, just name, address, phone numbers. They had my 10 free ones shipped within a week which I thought was very fast with the Holidays and all.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
WindHarvester said:
Hey Mike,

You need some business cards. I just got 10 free the other day from moo.com and they did a fine job so I will be ordering from them because card stock, ink and time are things I don't want to waste.

http://us.moo.com/uploader/?type=businesscard&pack=10&promotional=1&ppid=113

It took about five minutes for me because I don't do anything fancy, just name, address, phone numbers. They had my 10 free ones shipped within a week which I thought was very fast with the Holidays and all.

Thanks, I actually have cards. This particular client, I actually didn't get his cell phone either. I always had his office number. So, when it was time to meet, I couldn't of called him either. I've meet many of clients like this before, and it always goes the same way, ... there is some guy there looking for me, and I'm looking for him. It's always a no-brainer. But, I've since learned my lesson and I can caulk it up to being my fault. Oh well. I guess, as a salesman, I need to do everything I can do make the sale. It truly was my fault, despite me being critical of him.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI: I have actually typed out on large letters the id etc. of the person that I was looking for and placed it conspicuously on the table.. In the olden days we used the Bell hop, snicker.

The "Call for Phillip Morris" thingie.

Actually I generally am quite specific on some sort of identification on my part, and location as close as possible.

Don Jose de La Mancha

"I exist to Live, not live to exist"

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
HI: I have actually typed out on large letters the id etc. of the person that I was looking for and placed it conspicuously on the table.. In the olden days we used the Bell hop, snicker.

The "Call for Phillip Morris" thingie.

Actually I generally am quite specific on some sort of identification on my part, and location as close as possible.

Don Jose de La Mancha

"I exist to Live, not live to exist"

Yes, you've got a great idea. But with me, my problem was simply trying to understand that if we were to meet somewhere, why isn't he looking for me, instead of drinking his coffee and tuned into his laptop. I mean heck, all this idiot had to do was look up for a few seconds to see some guy looking around for someone. I guess I just don't understand the simplicity of two people, that are of average intelligence, meeting at a location, and then one guy goes into hiding into his laptop. Yep, it was my fault, but at the same time, I have a heck of a time justifying why I even need to deal with this stupidity. I mean, a long time ago, I used to blind date, and when I was meeting females (that later turned out to be 'less that perfect') I was even able to meet them without any problem at all.
Either way, I've since gotten two more gigs and if he does call back, I'll have to tell him that, again, I'm too busy for him. So, it kind of worked itself out.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Think of it like this:

If it'd been a real hot date you'd have tried a lot bloody harder!!! :laughing9: :tongue3:

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always found that a top hat, a red carnation, and a rousing rendition of "Oh Shenandoah" will get me the attention of all. Not sure if the client would still want to do business with you but a sure way to test there sense of humor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread