When I Was A Kid...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
*Let's see, when I was about 5 or so I would go with my younger sister by streetcar to the Sat.morning movies, The serial, a western with Tom Mix or Hopalong Cassidy, or a science fiction, would always end in a cliff hanger to draw you back next week.
Then there was TV with Howdy Dude etc. I remember the first TV I saw was 4 sq. in.!!
I remember my first dog. Pat was a wirehaired terrier. He was killed by a cab.
I remember My first erector set. It was the first to use rivets and tight black washers as nuts.
I remember my first tinker toy set. I think I built everything on the construction list that came with it.
I remember Captain Midnight and Sky King on the radio, also Kate Smith and Gabriel Heater.
Yes, to me it was the good old days.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Scott, everybody is wrong sometimes but the winners are right at the right time. That's the only differense! Frank

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember when you had to buy a condom not get them free in grade school. And the word liberal ment to much on your plate.And I think the national debt was 25.00$ :laughing9:

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
What happened to the post that was between 20&21? I think 22 is an answer to it.

Frank,
TMI.

Best,
Scott

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother and I would take tennis balls soak them in in lighter fluid then launch them at each other with wrist rockets. One night in the middle of a snowstorm we shot one into the sky and it's path down to the ground came through a neighbors tree. Every time it touched a branch it left a spot of fire, finally resting in the snow as molten mass of fire. The neighbor who had some contacts (I lived in the same town as Jimmy Hoffa and the neighbor was part of the investigation) called every agency known to mankind.

There were no footprints in snow and it took the fire department 3 hours to approach the long burnt out tennis ball.

We were crying we were laughing so hard.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Piercesdad said:
My brother and I would take tennis balls soak them in in lighter fluid then launch them at each other with wrist rockets. One night in the middle of a snowstorm we shot one into the sky and it's path down to the ground came through a neighbors tree. Every time it touched a branch it left a spot of fire, finally resting in the snow as molten mass of fire. The neighbor who had some contacts (I lived in the same town as Jimmy Hoffa and the neighbor was part of the investigation) called every agency known to mankind.

There were no footprints in snow and it took the fire department 3 hours to approach the long burnt out tennis ball.

We were crying we were laughing so hard.

Our variation was a pop-can cannon, with hairspray or lighter fluid we could launch a tennis ball almost to infinity (or so it seemed). Might
need to put a couple together with a few of those old beer cans I have laying around. :wink:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fireworks wars. I remember the last one. My brother had me pinned down in the cellar with Roman Candles. He didn't know I had a stash of about 500 bottle rockets down there and a piece of PVC for a launching tube. I fought my way out and lit up a big string of BlackCats but the fuse burned quick and they burned the crap out of my hand. My Dad came out and told us to cut that crap out, so we stopped, as you don't argue with my Dad. That was the last one. 3 years ago. I was 53; Dad was 74.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
RGINN said:
Fireworks wars. I remember the last one. My brother had me pinned down in the cellar with Roman Candles. He didn't know I had a stash of about 500 bottle rockets down there and a piece of PVC for a launching tube. I fought my way out and lit up a big string of BlackCats but the fuse burned quick and they burned the crap out of my hand. My Dad came out and told us to cut that crap out, so we stopped, as you don't argue with my Dad. That was the last one. 3 years ago. I was 53; Dad was 74.

:icon_thumleft: :D

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:

:laughing7: ;D :tard:

Best,
Scott

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
* When I was in high school I use to drive across town to the other high school and pick up a girlfriend. The head of the gang from that area also liked her. One day when I went to pick her up, his gang started firing bottle rockets at my car. He picked the wrong time. I had recently brought in a load of fireworks which included about 6 gross of torpedos, the big ones that explode on contact. As the torpedoes rained down on them, they beat a hasty retreat.

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Me and my cousin did that. He had the firecrackers that don't pop but spin on the ground. I set one or two off and thought it was boring so I threw one at my cousin,he was like of yeah eat this, and pulled out a line of what I thought was really firecrackers and threw them at my feet. It went of and turned out to be just more spinners. My cousin is soo cheap. :laughing7: P.S. we where at first using single spinners instead of the line of spinners.

RGINN said:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread