WANT TO FIX YOUR SMALL DENTS ON YOUR VEHICLE WITHOUT GOING TO A BODY SHOP??

S

Smee

Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's there was a family that went to car dealerships throughout the southeast that used dry ice and a heat gun to do the same thing to small dings. They set up an elaborate portable booth system, and the dealers believed they were repairing them in the normal manner. You could hear compressors and spray guns, sanders, etc. going. One of the kids let me in to take a look at what was going on (we repaired interiors and put stripes on cars making up to $500 profit per person in a day back then) . . . if the dealers knew that's how they were repairing these dings they would have died over how much they were being charged.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a buddy of mine who owns a motorcycle shop to see if he has a motorcycle tank that is dented up that he is going to trash. I am going to get one and test out, if this works, then I am going to make some money and keep my mouth shut!

As far as blistering the paint, you don't want to get the metal/paint too hot. Think about areas where temperatures are 120 degrees plus, it doesn't make the paint bubble, That is all you need, then you use cold compressed air.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
In the early 50's,I was stationed in Texas and the hail damage occured regularly.We let the car sit in the hot sun for several hours and then touch the dents with dry ice and they would pop right out.A dent is just the metal stretching and the ice caused the metal to shrink right back.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the most indispensable tools I have is an Infrared Thermometer.

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/03...op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

It takes about 1 second to get the temperature of anything, from heating milk to steel you've been welding on. It's so darned handy for a LOT of tasks, I ought to wear a holster for it. In laser mode, you can even play with the cat. How did I ever survive without it?

This would monitor the temperature of your body panel, keeping the hair dryer from damaging the paint.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck said:
One of the most indispensable tools I have is an Infrared Thermometer.

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/03...op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

It takes about 1 second to get the temperature of anything, from heating milk to steel you've been welding on. It's so darned handy for a LOT of tasks, I ought to wear a holster for it. In laser mode, you can even play with the cat. How did I ever survive without it?

This would monitor the temperature of your body panel, keeping the hair dryer from damaging the paint.

You have to use a heat gun, a hair dryer wouldn't get the surface hot enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread