Any suggestions on fighting a Staph infection?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those things suck! Did you get it lanced? The sooner all the puss and juice ;D come out the better. I don't know if heat is reccommended but it sure does make it feel better. But if the doc didn't lance it and drain it the agony will continue, Jhar.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No he didn't lance it, and now it is oozing. >:(

I have an appointment this afternoon to see him again.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tea, never heard of this treatment before, will it work on humans too?

Update: I did a google search and saw this. " The risk of silver toxicity (Argyria) far outweighs any benefits of collodial silver." :dontknow:

AmericanCoinShooter

Sep 29, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Tea, never heard of this treatment before, will it work on humans too?

That will stain you blue or black if you use too much. Do some research first.

What you really want to use is superconcentrated oil of Oregano. It kills bacteria and fungus with ease and even works well on venemous bites. Do some research on it.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick, staph infections are nothing to fool around with. This appt you have for this afternoon, is it one the doctor referred to see you back or is it one you made?

When my husband had his "boil" staph infection on his elbow, he was put on strong antibiotics and several creams to rub on it and cleansing of whole body with the RX Phisohex + follow up appts till it was healed.

To be on the safe side with taking any antibiotics, to eat yogurt to keep from getting a yeast infection in your mouth...ask your doctor about this.

S

Smee

It probably needs to be lanced and drained.

Doctor may need to be changed if he doesn't handle this properly.

Talking from experience. They will try to give you all kinds of sulfa drugs first. I can't take those as I hallucinate . . . just like someone on acid. Although some of the dreams were interesting (my bedroom becoming a black tipee, viewing stars through the opening and the elk robes everywhere).

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Judy, the doctor just said if it doesn't improve in 4 or 5 days come and see me. So called this morning.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A staph can really be super dangerous especially in the legs because of poor circulation if you don't catch it soon it can last a while. (look up boils on utube (don't PUCK)

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. Thanks for your input Tea. Just out of curiosity, I will ask my doctor what he thinks of it.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onfire said:
A staph can really be super dangerous especially in the legs because of poor circulation if you don't catch it soon it can last a while. (look up boils on utube (don't PUCK)

I looked on youtube and saw this, it looks just like mine. I don't think I will do what he did though.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Ok as a health care provider AND someone who has had one of these infections let me give you some advice.

1. Get it lanced and drained IMMEDIATELY. It will never heal if it is not drained. I&D (incision and drainage is the number 1 form of treatment)
2. Take all medication as prescribed. Do not miss any doses.
3. If you have a way to do a direct water lavage to the area (hand held shower worked for me) do it with hot water. Flushes out the bacteria from the area.
4. Ask your doctor about using Hibiclens (chlorhexadine) Can be bought at Wal-Mart or Walgreens or just about any pharmacy.
5. If it isn't getting better do not be afraid to go to a different doctor. My doctor ignored mine and put me on meds. A day later I was in the ER with a major issue which required intervention.

It also took me 45 days of oral antibiotic to get rid of the infection. MRSA is easily killed with good handwashing and you should make sure to use Alcohol based hand sanitizers often and anyone around you should too. You should also wash your clothes seperate until your infection is not actively draining any further.

Do NOT use bar soap. And finally a 10-1 bleach solution (10 parts water to 1 part bleach) should be used in any bath or shower you use until after this has cleared up to prevent spreading the infection to yourself or anyone else.

I have a lot more info than what I posted above. I am very knowledgable about this topic and give presentations on it to Physicians, Dentists, teachers, coaches etc. Silver does have antimicrobial properties but should be used with caution and only under the direct supervision of a health care provider.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
ME22,you mean taking an asprin won't do it?(just kiddin').Your tips/advice is right on,I trust everything you say,or was that BB I trust?Anyway,I'm glad you are back on here.You and BB are missed,keep more in touch and hope all is well with you.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, like most said get it lanced. Squeezing is not a good thing and can lead to blood poisoning in a heartbeat. That being said, if that were to happen you could be dead by the next day. Once it is able to start draining you just have to change bandages every few hours to keep clean. Also note that when you bath, you can add Epsom salt to the water and that too will help draw out even more and help in the healing process.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
Ok as a health care provider AND someone who has had one of these infections let me give you some advice.

1. Get it lanced and drained IMMEDIATELY. It will never heal if it is not drained. I&D (incision and drainage is the number 1 form of treatment)
3. If you have a way to do a direct water lavage to the area (hand held shower worked for me) do it with hot water. Flushes out the bacteria from the area.
4. Ask your doctor about using Hibiclens (chlorhexadine) Can be bought at Wal-Mart or Walgreens or just about any pharmacy.
5. If it isn't getting better do not be afraid to go to a different doctor. My doctor ignored mine and put me on meds. A day later I was in the ER with a major issue which required intervention.

It also took me 45 days of oral antibiotic to get rid of the infection. MRSA is easily killed with good handwashing and you should make sure to use Alcohol based hand sanitizers often and anyone around you should too. You should also wash your clothes seperate until your infection is not actively draining any further.

Do NOT use bar soap. And finally a 10-1 bleach solution (10 parts water to 1 part bleach) should be used in any bath or shower you use until after this has cleared up to prevent spreading the infection to yourself or anyone else.

I have a lot more info than what I posted above. I am very knowledgable about this topic and give presentations on it to Physicians, Dentists, teachers, coaches etc. Silver does have antimicrobial properties but should be used with caution and only under the direct supervision of a health care provider.

WARNING!

First off, I recommend a different physician STAT! (immediately) Yours has already wasted precious time by not lancing and draining!
Also I would recommend the colloidal silver in addition to the above :icon_sunny:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I would not do what that guy in the video did. In fact he needed medical attention immediately.

One of the lotions/creams recommended by our doctor is the one that ME stated Hibiclens (chlorhexadine). I keep that stuff handy.

Let us know the outcome of your doctor's appt.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
mastereagle22 said:

WARNING!

First off, I recommend a different physician STAT!(immediately) Yours has already wasted precious time by not lancing and draining!
Also I would recommend the colloidal silver in addition to the above :icon_sunny:

10-4 on changing doctors.

A friend had this stuff, and there ARE good antibiotics, but most doctors won't prescribe them. Find one who will.

If you know a nurse, she can tell you where to go and what the AB is.

Oh, yeah: I like hydrogen peroxide to clean a wound; nothing like it in my experience.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Actually Hydrogen Peroxide is not really recommended for wound cleansing any more.

The action of Hydrogen Peroxide is to deny the local tissue of oxygen. So what you are really doing is killing good as well as bad cells and using good old fashioned soap and water should work much better.

Also there has been some research to suggest that Hydrogen Peroxide is a potential carcinogen.

I am a nurse, been one since 1988, but I am NOT giving out medical advice just sharing some of my life experiences with you all......

And before you say "I have always used hydrogen peroxide" people used to use Mercurochrome and Merthiolate too. These both contain high levels of mercury and we now know that that is a bad thing. :icon_thumleft:

As for the silver:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colloidal-silver/AN01682

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just got back from seeing my doctor. While he seemed concerned, he didn't lance the now big raised mass because fluid is flowing out on it's own. He changed my antibiotic to one called Clindamycin (maximum dosage).

He did not recommend collodial silver nor did he recommend sits baths with Epsom salt.

I asked him also about Chlorahexine wash, and he said it would probably not help it. ???

Neither would Neosporin help.

I am to see him again on Wednesday afternoon and if it does not show signs of improvement, I will have to be hospitalized! Crap!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Well, I just got back from seeing my doctor. While he seemed concerned, he didn't lance the now big raised mass because fluid is flowing out on it's own. He changed my antibiotic to one called Clindamycin (maximum dosage).

He did not recommend collodial silver nor did he recommend sits baths with Epsom salt.

I asked him also about Chlorahexine wash, and he said it would probably not help it. ???

Neither would Neosporin help.

I am to see him again on Wednesday afternoon and if it does not show signs of improvement, I will have to be hospitalized! Crap!

While he is right about those other treatments....... too little too late.
I wouldn't wait until Wed for a second opinion. JMHO

I'll be praying for ya,
GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread