Any suggestions on fighting a Staph infection?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    us
    Hey! I found a .........

Jul 2006
    TEXAS
    943 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Any suggestions on fighting a Staph infection?

I had a boil on my leg that has become infected. I went to the doctor last Thursday and he diagnosed it as MRSA Staph and put me on BACTRIM (a sulfa drug). It does not seem like it is working because it's still red and my leg is swollen. How long does it take to get rid of this? Never had it before. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick
    Metal detecting: Getting up at the break of dawn to experience the thrill of the unknown.

us
    Jan 2008
    Marrero LA
    DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
    126 times

Re: Any suggestions on fighting a Staph infection?

Those things suck! Did you get it lanced? The sooner all the puss and juice come out the better. I don't know if heat is reccommended but it sure does make it feel better. But if the doc didn't lance it and drain it the agony will continue, Jhar.

us
    Hey! I found a .........

Jul 2006
    TEXAS
    943 times

No he didn't lance it, and now it is oozing.

I have an appointment this afternoon to see him again.
    Metal detecting: Getting up at the break of dawn to experience the thrill of the unknown.

us
    Hey! I found a .........

Jul 2006
    TEXAS
    943 times

Tea, never heard of this treatment before, will it work on humans too?

Update: I did a google search and saw this. " The risk of silver toxicity (Argyria) far outweighs any benefits of collodial silver."

us
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by thrillathahunt
    Tea, never heard of this treatment before, will it work on humans too?
    That will stain you blue or black if you use too much. Do some research first.

What you really want to use is superconcentrated oil of Oregano. It kills bacteria and fungus with ease and even works well on venemous bites. Do some research on it.
    http://www.americancoinshooter.com

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2006
    SE Louisiana
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 250
    2459 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Rick, staph infections are nothing to fool around with. This appt you have for this afternoon, is it one the doctor referred to see you back or is it one you made?

When my husband had his "boil" staph infection on his elbow, he was put on strong antibiotics and several creams to rub on it and cleansing of whole body with the RX Phisohex + follow up appts till it was healed.

To be on the safe side with taking any antibiotics, to eat yogurt to keep from getting a yeast infection in your mouth...ask your doctor about this.

Smee

It probably needs to be lanced and drained.

Doctor may need to be changed if he doesn't handle this properly.

Talking from experience. They will try to give you all kinds of sulfa drugs first. I can't take those as I hallucinate . . . just like someone on acid. Although some of the dreams were interesting (my bedroom becoming a black tipee, viewing stars through the opening and the elk robes everywhere).

us
    Hey! I found a .........

Jul 2006
    TEXAS
    943 times

Thanks Judy, the doctor just said if it doesn't improve in 4 or 5 days come and see me. So called this morning.

us
    onfire

Nov 2004
    Wisconsin
    250 2500
    1334 times

A staph can really be super dangerous especially in the legs because of poor circulation if you don't catch it soon it can last a while. (look up boils on utube (don't PUCK)

us
    Hey! I found a .........

Jul 2006
    TEXAS
    943 times

Very interesting. Thanks for your input Tea. Just out of curiosity, I will ask my doctor what he thinks of it.

us
    Hey! I found a .........

Jul 2006
    TEXAS
    943 times

Quote Originally Posted by onfire
    A staph can really be super dangerous especially in the legs because of poor circulation if you don't catch it soon it can last a while. (look up boils on utube (don't PUCK)

I looked on youtube and saw this, it looks just like mine. I don't think I will do what he did though.

us
    May 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
    30 times

Ok as a health care provider AND someone who has had one of these infections let me give you some advice.

1. Get it lanced and drained IMMEDIATELY. It will never heal if it is not drained. I&D (incision and drainage is the number 1 form of treatment)
    2. Take all medication as prescribed. Do not miss any doses.
    3. If you have a way to do a direct water lavage to the area (hand held shower worked for me) do it with hot water. Flushes out the bacteria from the area.
    4. Ask your doctor about using Hibiclens (chlorhexadine) Can be bought at Wal-Mart or Walgreens or just about any pharmacy.
    5. If it isn't getting better do not be afraid to go to a different doctor. My doctor ignored mine and put me on meds. A day later I was in the ER with a major issue which required intervention.

It also took me 45 days of oral antibiotic to get rid of the infection. MRSA is easily killed with good handwashing and you should make sure to use Alcohol based hand sanitizers often and anyone around you should too. You should also wash your clothes seperate until your infection is not actively draining any further.

Do NOT use bar soap. And finally a 10-1 bleach solution (10 parts water to 1 part bleach) should be used in any bath or shower you use until after this has cleared up to prevent spreading the infection to yourself or anyone else.

I have a lot more info than what I posted above. I am very knowledgable about this topic and give presentations on it to Physicians, Dentists, teachers, coaches etc. Silver does have antimicrobial properties but should be used with caution and only under the direct supervision of a health care provider.
    "It isn't the age, it's the mileage" IJ

us
    Nov 2004
    Edwards,Missouri
    MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
    61 times

ME22,you mean taking an asprin won't do it?(just kiddin').Your tips/advice is right on,I trust everything you say,or was that BB I trust?Anyway,I'm glad you are back on here.You and BB are missed,keep more in touch and hope all is well with you.

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    1055 times

Yup, like most said get it lanced. Squeezing is not a good thing and can lead to blood poisoning in a heartbeat. That being said, if that were to happen you could be dead by the next day. Once it is able to start draining you just have to change bandages every few hours to keep clean. Also note that when you bath, you can add Epsom salt to the water and that too will help draw out even more and help in the healing process.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc. etc.
    5098 times

Quote Originally Posted by mastereagle22
    Ok as a health care provider AND someone who has had one of these infections let me give you some advice.

1. Get it lanced and drained IMMEDIATELY. It will never heal if it is not drained. I&D (incision and drainage is the number 1 form of treatment)
    2. Take all medication as prescribed. Do not miss any doses.
    3. If you have a way to do a direct water lavage to the area (hand held shower worked for me) do it with hot water. Flushes out the bacteria from the area.
    4. Ask your doctor about using Hibiclens (chlorhexadine) Can be bought at Wal-Mart or Walgreens or just about any pharmacy.
    5. If it isn't getting better do not be afraid to go to a different doctor. My doctor ignored mine and put me on meds. A day later I was in the ER with a major issue which required intervention.

It also took me 45 days of oral antibiotic to get rid of the infection. MRSA is easily killed with good handwashing and you should make sure to use Alcohol based hand sanitizers often and anyone around you should too. You should also wash your clothes seperate until your infection is not actively draining any further.

Do NOT use bar soap. And finally a 10-1 bleach solution (10 parts water to 1 part bleach) should be used in any bath or shower you use until after this has cleared up to prevent spreading the infection to yourself or anyone else.

I have a lot more info than what I posted above. I am very knowledgable about this topic and give presentations on it to Physicians, Dentists, teachers, coaches etc. Silver does have antimicrobial properties but should be used with caution and only under the direct supervision of a health care provider.
    WARNING!

First off, I recommend a different physician STAT! (immediately) Yours has already wasted precious time by not lancing and draining!
    Also I would recommend the colloidal silver in addition to the above

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links