88 more keys - piano - found on sandbar along Floridas coast - MYSTERY SOLVED

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
88 more keys - piano - found on sandbar along Florida's coast - MYSTERY SOLVED

MIAMI - Here's a mystery that gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "piano bar."

A grand piano recently appeared on a sandbar in Biscayne Bay. Whoever put it there placed it at the highest point of the sandbar so that it's not underwater during high tide.

A grand piano weighs at least 650 pounds and is unwieldy to move, said Bob Shapiro, a salesman at Piano Music Center in Pembroke Park, Fla. "You don't take it out there in a rowboat," Shapiro said.

This much is clear, however: The piano isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Unless it becomes a danger to wildlife or boaters, authorities have no plans to haul it away.

"We are not responsible for removing such items," said Jorge Pino, a spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. "Even a car can become a habitat for wildlife. Unless the item becomes a navigational hazard, the Coast Guard would not get involved."

Local police and fire crews said the same thing.

The shape of the piano is visible to the naked eye, but with a pair of binoculars or a telephoto lense, seagulls can be seen landing on it.

A used grand piano would sell for at least $3,000. But many pianos wear out from the tons of pressure on the internal parts.

"It could be worth nothing," Shapiro said. "Pianos don't grow old gracefully. They just wear out."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...-keys-found-along-floridas-coast.html?sid=101

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 88 more keys - attached to piano - found on sandbar along Florida's coast

Now it is the party sand barge. Someone just wanted to play some music while they was out there having their drinks......Matt

OP
OP
WindHarvester

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used

I don't know how true it is, but I heard that it was left their after a music video was recorded. :dontknow:

It's pretty neat and I'll bet it's brought a few extra tourists to that area.

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI

checked it out no ivory keys to be had,was left by a group of persons that have no morals for the crap that gets lelt in our waters,it was put for a video,i say charge them for littering or something??dont promote it or it will turn into a "new" dumping ground for more crap from MIAMI.. HH it makes me sick..

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI

the fine print is never read,somebody read it with :occasion14: goggles ,unless it was a raft of some sort that came here by the powers of a deaf manatee that is looking for family members that have been hit and run over by boats that only hear the sound of there moters till its till late???

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

texastee2007 said:
KEYSHUNTER said:
checked it out no ivory keys to be had,was left by a group of persons that have no morals for the crap that gets lelt in our waters,it was put for a video,i say charge them for littering or something??dont promote it or it will turn into a "new" dumping ground for more crap from MIAMI.. HH it makes me sick..

seems they should be able to get them for littering. They will most likely make a mint on the video....make them give it to the preservation of the coastline!
If it had dog turds in it, it'd be roped off bagged up tied up sterilized sanitized and terrorized as a HAZMAT issue. The people that placed it there would be fined jailed & strung up. Then Greenpeace would make them the new bad people poster children. Not to mention all the dog owners would retaliate too.

OP
OP
WindHarvester

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Re: 88 more keys - piano - found on sandbar along Florida's coast - MYSTERY SOLVED

MIAMI — So the now world-famous “piano bar” was not left in Biscayne Bay by the independent filmmakers Billy and Anais Yaeger, who claimed that the feat would be featured in their film trilogy titled “Jesus of Malibu.”

Nor was the grand piano the same one used by the upstart filmmaker James Marcus Haney, a 22-year-old film student at University of Southern California, who shot a music video of an eerily similar piano on a beach in Del Mar, Calif., in September 2007. “Hey,” Mr. Haney said, “stranger things have happened, right?”

No, this stunt was the brainchild of a 16-year-old high school student from Miami Shores named Nicholas Harrington, who figured a video of the old grand piano, which he had set on fire (twice, it turns out), would make a rather, well, inspired college entrance exam essay.

FULL STORY BELOW:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/us/28piano.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread