lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
texastee2007 said:
shaun7 said:
texastee2007 said:
shaun7 said:
It's working ok for me :dontknow: :laughing9:

Shaun I can't get in..post a link an maybe we can get in that way....Thank you.

Sorry tee, I can't do that :-\

It's just better in there without you and Dano :icon_jokercolor: :laughing7:

no chocolate chip cookies for you then.
Dear texastee2007;
Since I can't access The Pub either, do you want to swap Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes? I fix mine from scratch.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
lamar

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
texastee2007 said:
wow lamar you have skills....

anyway have you mastered the Herman recipe yet? Everything else depends on you keeping Herman happy.
Dear texastee2007;
My current starter is about three years old and it's just as happy and healthy as it has ever been!
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
lamar

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
texastee2007 said:
lamar said:
texastee2007 said:
wow lamar you have skills....

anyway have you mastered the Herman recipe yet? Everything else depends on you keeping Herman happy.
Dear texastee2007;
My current starter is about three years old and it's just as happy and healthy as it has ever been!
Your friend;
LAMAR

sweet or sour? makes a big difference....Herman is sweet.
Dear texastee2007;
I have both types. The sweet starter gets *fed* with white cane sugar and the sour gets fed with white wheat flour. I use the sour starter for most breads, like sandwich rolls and pizza crusts and the sweet gets used to make cakes and pastries. The sweet starter also makes darned good yeast biscuits too!

Also, I've tried culturing a natural yeast starter, but it always seems to get contaminated, therefore I stick to using bread yeast to get things going.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
lamar

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
texastee2007 said:
This is pretty good with the sweet starter...could win you a prize.

3/4 packed brown sugar or date sugar

6 Tab. pure butter

1/4 cup shortening

1 cup of Herman

1 cup of unbleached flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 Tablespoon of Pure Vanilla Extract

1/4 teaspoon each of cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg

1 1/2 cups rolled oats old fashioned or 4 grains

1/2 cup each of chopped nuts, pitted diced dates and currants.

1/4 cup of chopped raisins

1 1/2 cup of chocolate chips

In a large glass bowl mix together brown sugar, Vanilla, butter and shortening...add Herman beat till just combined. The mixture will look curdled.

Stir together flour, soda and spices then add to the sugar mixture. Stir till well combined.

Stir in oats, nuts, dates, currants and raisins.

Drop by the spoonful onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° I have a convection oven and cook at 325° If you are High altitude this recipe might not work....
Dear texastee2007;
Thanks for the recipe! I copied it down and I will use it the next time I make choccy chip cookies, which should be the day after tomorrow.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
lamar

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
texastee2007 said:
Lamar where is your recipe? is it on retreat? :laughing9: :laughing9:
Dear texastee2007;
Sorry about that. I forgot to post it. OK, here it is:

1 cup melted butter (Butter ONLY! No margarine or other fake stuff. Either salted or unsalted is OK. If you use salted butter, don't add any more salt to the recipe)
1/2 to 3/4 cup brown sugar (adjust to your level of sweetness. Do the same with the white sugar)
1/2 to 3/4 cup white sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons vanilla (Only real vanilla. The imitation stuff is too bitter & harsh. Again, adjust to suit your tastes)
1 or 2 large yard egg(s)
1-1/2 cups white flour (make sure to have at least an extra 1/2 cup handy. I always end up adding a bit more flour to the recipe)
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt (Again, if you're using slated butter, do not add this ingredient)
2-1/2 cups of bitter sweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips (Put the block of chocolate in the freezer for at least 1 hr. prior. This makes chopping it up into small square 1/4" squares a lot easier)
A bunch of M & Ms
1 empty Ranch Style beans can without either end

Put the melted butter, brown and white sugars, vanilla, salt, baking soda, & egg(s) in a bowl. Whip the bejeebus out of it until everything is well creamed. This is important. You can use a blender for this too.

Put in a bowl (if you went the blender route) and add the flour, about a good handful at a time. Use that weird wire looking French chef thingy. I think it's called a whisk. If you don't have one of those, a fork will do. After a couple of handfuls of flour, you'll need to stop using the whisk (or fork or whatever you're using). Either oil your hands w/veggie oil or dust them w/flour and start kneading the mixture. Continue adding the flour till it's all in the bowl. At this point, you'll want a nice stiff dough. If it's still too sticky, add a bit more flour till it's no longer sticky. (Doh!)

Add the choccy chips. And add the dust chocolate dust that was made when you chopped up the chocolate bar! This makes the cookies taste more gooder. Knead the chips into the dough until well blended but don't overdo it. Place in the icebox for 1 hr. or in the deep freeze for about 30 minutes.

Remove the dough from wherever you put it at and roll it out till it's 1/4" thick. A 1 qt. empty wine or whiskey bottle is perfect for this. (the ROUND bottles that is, not the square Jack Daniels type of bottle. They don't work worth a flip).

Take the empty Ranch Style bean can with the ends cut out and use this to cut out the cookies from the rolled out dough. Place cookies on some greased cookie sheets. I use some veggie oil to grease the pans and an old 4" paint brush. The trick is to put a VERY thin coat on the pans and no more.

Keep cutting and rolling till all the dough is gone. Take the M&Ms and place 1 M&M in the dead center of each cookie, then place 1 M&M in each of the corners( I know a round cookie doesn't have corners per se, but just make a square on the face of the cookies using the 4 M&Ms to surround the ones in the centers). You should now have 5 M&Ms on each cookie, 1 in the centers surrounded by 4 more M&Ms. Be creative and use different colored M&Ms.

Fire up the oven, turn to a medium low heat & wait for 5 minutes. Check the temperature of the oven after 5 minutes by opening the door and placing your hand (whichever hand you don't write with) into the oven and count "1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, etc, until you reach 5 one thousand. If at the end of the count, you jerk your hand out of the oven whilst saying "Holy &$%# that's HOT!" then the oven is hot enough for the cookies. If not, then crank up the gas some more, wait another 5 minutes then try again.

Place cookies in the oven (Doh.) Wait for about ohhhhhhhh, 15 to 20 minutes then switch the cookie sheets around, top to bottom & vice versa. This keeps the ones on the bottom rack from burning and the ones on top from not getting baked good. After about 30 minutes, remove the cookies from the oven, then use a spatula and take them off of the cookies sheets. Place them on a marble or tile countertop so they'll cool real fast. Grab a quart jug of ice cold milk and DIG IN! Makes about 2 dozen cookies. They last about 30 minutes.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
lamar

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
texastee2007 said:
sounds wonderful
Dear texastee2007;l
They really are VERY good. I developed the recipe by trial and error from working in remote camps over the years. I know that my description sort of sucks, but this is because I don't use recipes. I do everything from memory. In truth, I don;'t recall ever owning a cookbook. Anyway, a pictorial on how to make them would probably make more sense to you than my lousy recipe from rote.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread