What happened to kids these days?

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
What happened to kids these day's?
I remember when I was a kid we used to be outside allday playing, our folks wouldn't see us until lunch, dinner and then about 9 at night. We would be called home and you could hear every mother on our block yell for their kid.We would usually wait until we heard the dreaded "IF YOU DON'T GET HOME NOW YOU'R GROUNDED!" :laughing9: that would get us moving.
Now day's I know I sound old but ain't only 30 you don't see a kids anywhere. It's pretty eerie I'll drive through a part of town
here and not hear one kid.
My son asked what it was like for me growing up and I told him we didn't have cell phones when we were 9 years old,we actually talked to each other we didn't text each other while sitting next to each other, we were gone from sun up to sundown. Our parents new where we were and we stayed there because if they stopped by and they couldn't find us we were in trouble. We used our imagenation for the young'uns reading this that is where you used your brain lol. We played army,built boats that never floated, got on our bikes and went fishing. The only time we stayed in side is if we got sick, or the weather was to bad in the winter if it was bad in the summer we hung out in my buddies dad's garudge lol <spelling I know.
We didn't stay inside playing video games. My son said it sounded like it was fun when I was a kid.
You see kids today and they look like zombies all pale with dark bags under their eyes (creepy) We looked like little Indians running around because we were so tan.LOL. We always found something to do.Our parents rarely heard I'm bored. When Nerf came out with the glow in the dark football we died and went to heaven because now we could stay out until 10 playing football or 500 and you knew what kids were going fishing because you would see flashlights waving around on the ground picking night crawlers to go fishing the next day. Today when you tell kids to go out side and play what do you hear? "There's nothing to do" or "We're bored".
So every one let us know what you did when you were a kid.
HH-drewan.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well for one thing we never have child molesters at every corner. Here i my town there is proably 100 register molesters. So that is one reason kids are not out running around these day. Us parnets keep a very close eyes on out little one.

Yes when I was gowning up 40 yrs ago we stay out all day and we fished all night is the summer time. It was nothing for us to be gone the whole weekend. And yes if I told my parent where I was at I better be there or else. Now days the kids are taught that it is against the law for your parnets to spank you. My oldest came home one day from school and told me that. I told him I help bring him in the world and by god I can take you out. when I spanked him one day I ask him did he want the phone to make the call and he told me no. This is a different time and we really have to be careful.....Matt

OP
OP
drewan29

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
mlayers said:
Well for one thing we never have child molesters at every corner. Here i my town there is proably 100 register molesters. So that is one reason kids are not out running around these day. Us parnets keep a very close eyes on out little one.

Yes when I was gowning up 40 yrs ago we stay out all day and we fished all night is the summer time. It was nothing for us to be gone the whole weekend. And yes if I told my parent where I was at I better be there or else. Now days the kids are taught that it is against the law for your parnets to spank you. My oldest came home one day from school and told me that. I told him I help bring him in the world and by god I can take you out. when I spanked him one day I ask him did he want the phone to make the call and he told me no. This is a different time and we really have to be careful.....Matt
I have to agree with that. We have one who's reg. just down the road from us so when my 3 kids go out our dobie goes with she is very pertective of them. That's the thing with kids these days they know and the parents are scared whitch is a bunch of b.s. I've heard chew them out punch them you name it and all they say is they're just kids hahaha. My a$$ my son heard a 6 year old cuss his parents out when I was detecting a park and he looked at me and said I wouldn't be sitting for a week would I dad? if I talked to you or mom like that. I just smiled and 2 weeks lol.

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
It is stupid that we have to fear for our kids safety when they are outside. I did all the things you did growing up and LOVED it! I have to physically remove my kids from the house....and I don't know where that attitude comes from b/c I have made them play outside their whole lives. They watch little t.v. and rarely play video games. We homeschooled our kids up till this semester and even before that they thought we were responsible for entertaining them 24/7. My kids are like yours though, in that they KNOW if they talked to me like some of the others kids talk to their parents.......bad bad day for them. Do you ever catch yourself from saying something to those kids or their parents?

OP
OP
drewan29

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
hypoman said:
It is stupid that we have to fear for our kids safety when they are outside. I did all the things you did growing up and LOVED it! I have to physically remove my kids from the house....and I don't know where that attitude comes from b/c I have made them play outside their whole lives. They watch little t.v. and rarely play video games. We homeschooled our kids up till this semester and even before that they thought we were responsible for entertaining them 24/7. My kids are like yours though, in that they KNOW if they talked to me like some of the others kids talk to their parents.......bad bad day for them. Do you ever catch yourself from saying something to those kids or their parents?
Oh yea I bite my tung and think boy they both are going to have a rough road ahead of them when he/she gets older.
Funny story here. My son has adhd/add when he was five he was off the wall I mean nuts. We went to the super market and he was all over the place when we walked into the store people all over the place and I just told him in a real deep tone ''GET OVER HERE" lol this little old lady looked at me and another woman about in her 30's at the time looked at me like I was a monster because I wouldn't let my kid have the run of the mill. I glard at both of them, that was the end of that.

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
drewan29 said:
hypoman said:
Oh yea I bite my tung and think boy they both are going to have a rough road ahead of them when he/she gets older.
Funny story here. My son has adhd/add when he was five he was off the wall I mean nuts. We went to the super market and he was all over the place when we walked into the store people all over the place and I just told him in a real deep tone ''GET OVER HERE" lol this little old lady looked at me and another woman about in her 30's at the time looked at me like I was a monster because I wouldn't let my kid have the run of the mill. I glard at both of them, that was the end of that.

:hello2:
Yeah I do the same thing. If we are in the grocery store I have had to go as far as making my kids sit on the floor behind the cart until we move again..........it worked, but the looks you get for making your kids mind is ridiculous. I think we are a dying breed. You said your 30? I am only 3 years younger than you. Alot has changed since we were "kids" lol.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I know what you mean. I would be outside all day every day. We played hide-and-seek, tag, army, cowboys and indians, basketball, football, frisbee, explore the wooded areas, built forts, caught snakes and brought them home, hunted cool looking rocks, rode bikes for miles each day with playing cards clipped to the frame to hit the spokes and make a motorcycle noise, skateboarded, played marbles, listened to our pocket radios, and did every other thing we could imagine to entertain ourselves and we had fun. That was the '80s. I remember riding my bike pretending it was K.I.T. and I was Michael Knight, lol. Atari just came out and it was fun, but we didn't play it much. If we did play it for a while, our parents would come in and tell us it was time to go outside. They knew what was best for us just like we do now, but back then they did something about it and we knew to listen. I was a saint compared to kids I see nowadays. I can't believe some folks let their kids run the show.

OP
OP
drewan29

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
cheese said:
I know what you mean. I would be outside all day every day. We played hide-and-seek, tag, army, cowboys and indians, basketball, football, frisbee, explore the wooded areas, built forts, caught snakes and brought them home, hunted cool looking rocks, rode bikes for miles each day with playing cards clipped to the frame to hit the spokes and make a motorcycle noise, skateboarded, played marbles, listened to our pocket radios, and did every other thing we could imagine to entertain ourselves and we had fun. That was the '80s. I remember riding my bike pretending it was K.I.T. and I was Michael Knight, lol. Atari just came out and it was fun, but we didn't play it much. If we did play it for a while, our parents would come in and tell us it was time to go outside. They knew what was best for us just like we do now, but back then they did something about it and we knew to listen. I was a saint compared to kids I see nowadays. I can't believe some folks let their kids run the show.
Hey Cheese it sounds like you grow up on my block. :laughing9: our parents would give us the playing cards that were missing some in the deck and it would sound like a mini harley bike gang going down the sidewalk. Atari :headbang: lol I still have mine in the basement and the last I treid it still worked that was 10 yrs ago. You can't forget the big wheel you could here one of them coming a mile off by the clop,colp... because of one side being worn flat.lol and ya can't forget about Mr.T and tha A team LOL.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlayers said:

Matt
I think the question is....Why is this? I mean really.

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
diggummup said:
mlayers said:

Matt
I think the question is....Why is this? I mean really.

i know alot of parents who are very complacent about watching there children as well... i think it just comes down to times have changed, anyone who grew up in the 60"s and 70"s can see this..... there has been so many advances in so many things i really don't think you can point your finger at one thing and say CHILD MOLESTERS.. thats asinine..... they were here in the 60"s and 70's as well.... yes there more abundant now but i think theres more to this story that meets the eye... HH Joe Hoo?

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Parents are getting lazy and allowing the electronics to sit their kids. Yeah we didn't have cell phones, bunch of computer, nintendo or playstation games, a bunch of tv channels we had to go out and make fun for ourselves the kids now a days don't have that imagination. They have gotten to complacent on electronics. Another thing that urks me is how the kids scream while playing around. If we screamed like that someone had better be trying to kill us and we screamed like that every door within hearing would be open and people running out them to see what is going on. When i first moved here and I heard then scream I would jump up and look out the window did that about 14 times a couple of days decided not to after all those false screams. Now if someone comes after those kids and they scream no one is going to check on them and they will be gone. It's a sorry world that we live in NOW. I often long for the days when you actually got to know your neighbor now your lucky if you even say hello to those who live in your same apartment building. Oh I am 50 so I do remember those days. Dang wrote a book sorry lol

OP
OP
drewan29

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Frank1960 said:
Parents are getting lazy and allowing the electronics to sit their kids. Yeah we didn't have cell phones, bunch of computer, nintendo or playstation games, a bunch of tv channels we had to go out and make fun for ourselves the kids now a days don't have that imagination. They have gotten to complacent on electronics. Another thing that urks me is how the kids scream while playing around. If we screamed like that someone had better be trying to kill us and we screamed like that every door within hearing would be open and people running out them to see what is going on. When i first moved here and I heard then scream I would jump up and look out the window did that about 14 times a couple of days decided not to after all those false screams. Now if someone comes after those kids and they scream no one is going to check on them and they will be gone. It's a sorry world that we live in NOW. I often long for the days when you actually got to know your neighbor now your lucky if you even say hello to those who live in your same apartment building. Oh I am 50 so I do remember those days. Dang wrote a book sorry lol
No Frank don't be sorry and I agree I mean you hear it on t.v. "just put a movie in and it'll give us a couple of hours" in the 80's we had the games and cable but it didn't really interest us. My folks also do the same thing when my kids scream they jump and are looking out the window like they are look during a robbery lol. I tell them to relax but I kinda put an end to the srceaming while they play by telling my kids that they are out in the country we've seen bears,cougars,wolves and coyotes and when you sream like that in a high pitched squeal you soundlike dinner and if one is in the area they will get you before I can. Their eyes got huge. We used to play the game were you run up to the door and knock ,run and hide and watch what happens. Back then it was all in fun now you'll either get shot or the cops call on you .

OP
OP
drewan29

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
The one thing that really gets my dander up is the select older people here in our little community. This happened a couple of years ago. I was driving when I heard this on the radio. The kids have a skate park in one of the builds that is an ice rink in the winter skate park in the summer its indoors so they can go and do something when the weather is bad plus the people and bussiness don't complain about the skateboarders well these folks got ticked and pettioned the city to get rid of the skate park and turn it into a dance hall wth. They have many Elks, Moose and other lodges including a couple of VFW posts that hold the dances and polka's why do they need this. That all you hear here kids this kids that. The parents that fight for them are like us they want them to have fun not stay in the house but when you got folks going no no no what are they supposed to do. Now you see them sitting on the corners or you don't see them at all because they are playing games in the house. My dad grew here he said that that was the way it was here when he was a kid they had a basketball net on a light poll that was on the corner of the street some people told the cop to take it down the cop look at them and said no they asked why and he said it's the only way the light bulb will get changed when it burns out meaning my dad and his buddies.LOL
HH-drewan

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I feel ya. When I was a teenager, fridays and saturday nights we would cruise around a certain retail center that is a large entire block in town (no housing) after hours and see who there was to see. Sometimes we would see friends and stop in the parking lot to talk a while. We stayed out of trouble, out of the neighborhoods, in a large lighted retail area after hours so no-one was disturbed and we weren't interfering with businesses. The cops drove through once in a while to make sure everyone was safe and acting appropriately. The theater was the only place there that was open and we were good for their business. Now "cruising" in this neighborhood is illegal. Know what kids do now? They find out which friend's parents are going to be gone, gather at their house, and get drunk, do drugs, and have sex parties. Now the girls in high school are pregnant and transmitting diseases and kids are getting killed in the middle of the night in drunk driving incidents. You should see all the crosses and flowers at light poles and curves in the road. Yeah, sex and drugs were around when I was a kid (I grew up in the '70s and '80s)... but there were plenty of other things to do to keep us occupied for the most part. There were always those groups of dope heads, but nowadays, it's not just the cliche dopehead types that do it. Even the rich kids and smart kids are doing pot, oxycontin, meth, asphyxiation, and all kinds of other harmful stuff. I'm a bit uneasy about how todays kids are going to grow up. I guess that's the mantra of every generation though.

OP
OP
drewan29

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Friday nights we would go cruzing also and there were parties but when football season rolled around I'd be playing fri nights or I'd be checking traps untill 11 at night or smelting wasn't really into the party crowed why I :dontknow: I think it was more along the lines of I didn't want to disapoint my parents by having to call them from the cop shop thats why I wasn't to popular in school lol . The drug problem here is pretty bad I used to work at a welding shop and some of the high school kids would buy oxycontin at 70.00 a pill ??? We had our pot heads in school but you really didn't have to worry about them because they were to stoned to fight now some of them are strung out on every thing. My wife in used to live in an apartment about 7 years ago and I went out side to have a smoke don't smoke no more.It was the night before deer season here, 2 cars met head to head one kid got of each car and started yelling at each other I went in to get the phone just in case. Well "just in case" happened one of the kids hit the other kid upside his head with a 40oz beer bottle I called the cops right before it happened but the cops could find them even though I told them were the one car went I could see the house from the drive way but our finest PO's couldn't figure it out. :icon_scratch: a couple of days later I heard the kid went to the er to get stitched up. I remember when a fight was just fist to cuff now they have to practicaly kill each other.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept out of trouble when I was growing up. My mother is a cousin to the Hatfields and when she whipped, she whipped till she got tired of whipping!! Needless to say it kept me and my older brother in check.

Kids today has too many electronic items, computers, cell phones, TV games, and they become lazy couch potatoes adn they have no goals to be something! Many homes are one parent families and it is hard to work, and watch kids now a days so parents let their kids do whatever and never get them into programs to keep them out of trouble.

Me, I don't believe in over whipping but I certainly don't spare the rod!!

OP
OP
drewan29

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
TheHarleyMan2 said:
I kept out of trouble when I was growing up. My mother is a cousin to the Hatfields and when she whipped, she whipped till she got tired of whipping!! Needless to say it kept me and my older brother in check.

Kids today has too many electronic items, computers, cell phones, TV games, and they become lazy couch potatoes adn they have no goals to be something! Many homes are one parent families and it is hard to work, and watch kids now a days so parents let their kids do whatever and never get them into programs to keep them out of trouble.

I agree

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
TheHarleyMan2 said:

i got something better than a whipping, alot of corners in my house and believe me it works.... i have 4 children and i have had to on many occasions make them stand there for hours at a time, to think about there actions and correcting them.. they come to hate standing in the corner and i have seen there legs literally buckling from standing there for hours at a time... 99% of the time my method worked... you can not be a softie when it comes to discipline these days, but i refuse to put my hands on my kids... what might work for one may not work for others... just my 2 cents.... HH Joe Hoo?

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
i got something better than a whipping, alot of corners in my house and believe me it works.... i have 4 children and i have had to on many occasions make them stand there for hours at a time, to think about there actions and correcting them.. they come to hate standing in the corner and i have seen there legs literally buckling from standing there for hours at a time... 99% of the time my method worked... you can not be a softie when it comes to discipline these days, but i refuse to put my hands on my kids... what might work for one may not work for others... just my 2 cents.... HH Joe Hoo?
Hey that is better than not doing anything at all. I have used the sit in corner bot back when I visited someone and their kid was misbehaving and the mom wasn't doing anything so I asked if I could and she said yet. Took the kid an hour before he learned to not turn away from the corner but he behaved after that at least while I was around

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread