Neighbors Help Troubled Transgender Woman

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Memphis, TN - To say that 43 year-old Duanna Johnson leads a difficult life would be an understatement. At her small, rundown, North Memphis house you'll find condom wrappers on the ground outside her door.

Her power meter is missing. Not that it matters because her electricity was turned off months ago after she stopped paying her utility bill.

She has one extension cord running from her bedroom window to the neighbor's house. They charge her $20 a month to plug into their electricity. It powers the single fan Duanna uses to cool her house.

And because Johnson has no running water in her home, neighbors often let her use their bathrooms to wash up and take care of her personal hygiene.

"Well, she would come over and talk," says 82 year-old Hattie Mae Benson. "And I mean, it was a good while before I knew what was happening."

Benson has been Johnson's guardian angel for the past three or four months, providing Memphis' most famous transgender woman with food, a clean bed to sleep in and a bathroom.

"I hate to see somebody needing something or wanting something," says Benson, "and they can't get it. Because sometimes I can't get it myself."

Hattie didn't know Johnson was a transgender woman until her videotaped beating at the hands of two Memphis cops became public last month.

Both cops were fired. Johnson's attorney is seeking a $1.3 million settlement with the city.

Over the weekend, Johnson was arrested again by Memphis Police during a sting near Hollywood and Staten in North Memphis.

According to the arrest affidavit, an undercover cop says Johnson flagged him down, got into his car and offered to perform "oral and natural sex" for $30 and a beer. The officer says Johnson was wearing a long wig, a short blue jean skirt and a green shirt. The affidavit goes on to say Johnson had a condom and a crack pipe in her purse.

After learning of Johnson's arrest on drug and prostitution charges, Hattie's husband, Frank, says Duanna has worn out her welcome.

"Because she usually comes over here when my wife is here by herself," he says. "She'll eat, sleep and take a bath and all that kind of stuff. And I want that stuff cut out. I told her don't let her in here no more."

Other neighbors, including Rosalyn Anderson, still watch out for Duanna.

"I let her borrow money," says Anderson, "to buy something to eat and buy make-up."

But in a neighborhood where houses are burned up and boarded up, folks around here don't have a lot of money to spare.

And those who care about Duanna say it's time for her to fight her demons.

"I will tell her that she should clean up her life," says Hattie Mae Benson.

"It's difficult for her right now," says Anderson. "She does what she can to survive out here. And it's hard out here for her. But this is the life she chooses, you know."

Johnson appeared in Shelby County Court on Monday, July 28th for her arraignment on the drug and prostitution charges. She's scheduled to be back in court next month.

Her court costs are at least $1000. Neighbors say she has to pay MLGW at least $2400 to get her utilities turned back on.

Johnson had no comment for reporters.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Although I do not agree with the lifestyle (Crack and what not) I see decent people helping a fellow Human Being that is having rough times.

I applaud them for being the way everybody on the planet should be.

K

Kentucky Kache

Al Czervik said:
Memphis, TN - To say that 43 year-old Duanna Johnson leads a difficult life would be an understatement. At her small, rundown, North Memphis house you'll find condom wrappers on the ground outside her door.

You would think the stuff laying on the ground outside her/his/its door would have been a clue to the neighbors.

K

Kentucky Kache

WindHarvester said:
Although I do not agree with the lifestyle (Crack and what not) I see decent people helping a fellow Human Being that is having rough times.

This woman(?) is obviously able to get out and work. Why should everybody on the planet pitch in to keep her(?) up? Your help and support would be better used for someone who was not able to get out and do these things, don't you think?

S

stefen

WindHarvester said:

Copy that :thumbsup:

K

Kentucky Kache

stefen said:
WindHarvester said:

Copy that :thumbsup:

And let the truly disabled do the best they can? Copy that. :thumbsup:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe, if these wonderful neighbors of hers/his would stop enabling her/him, he/she would start providing for him/herself. That's why the welfare rolls are so huge here in CA. I have no pity for the pitiful.

K

Kentucky Kache

I won't fall into the insanity this country has become, but I do hate to hear of the person's death.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
am I the only one that finds it odd, that the death of this person should occur so close to the 2 cops being caught on tape beating the victim , and their being fired and the city gettig set up for a massive law suit. ?-- while I'm not a huge fan of folks hanging out doing drugs and of at best "odd lifestyles"--- street folks that dress like a gals to sell sex -because women have a easier time selling sex than men do.--- (selling sex is a it takes two crime --- the victim is "willing"-- on my veiw --its onlyagainst the law becauses money changes hands and the govt doesn't get a cut off it )

I'm not a fan of killing - weird or differant folks * heck so long as they are not harming anyone (but themselves thru drug use) or stealing or robbing from folks -- I 'm a live and let live sort of person.

OP
OP
Al Czervik

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
I don't get it. This happened years ago.

If the opening poster has a comment, or point to make they should do so.

Copy/pasting random news articles from the past is overrated. >:(

Most if not all would never get it ... However the point has been made & proven in this thread.

~ Al

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WindHarvester said:
Drum roll please?

And the point made was?
Don't proposition a cop while dressed as a woman, lest you'll be beaten and eventually murdered?

Sounds good to me..........

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
cdltpx said:

Like I said learn then if that doesn't work discuss firmly with subject if they don't correct no use beating your head against the wall when someone places themselves in harms way and expired go have a drink get some sleep and get on with YOUR life. Sure police should not be beating people but how many people contract HIV herpees among other diseases from prostitutes? While I agree the government should stay out of others lives if they wish to do drugs or hire prostitutes that is their call these industries should be managed so as to prevent public health hazards. When someone is providing drugs that kills people they need to be sent up for murder when people knowingly give others diseases they too should be quarantined on some island where they can't infect others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread