eBay scam part 4

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
so I feel I gave him a fair shot to walk away unscathed, even though I didnt want to let him get away with it, but wanted to avoid the drama - however I think we can all agree he was asking for a smackdown:

Dear rspott53,

Its good to see you have admitted fraudulently listing items on eBay - I will be reporting you today, as well as forwarding all relevant correspondance to their fraud prevention department. Only a piker or a fool would persist to fight when they clearly have been caught in a lie, but you insist on defending the indefensible and attempting to insult me, neither of which will work. Good job destroying your eBay account and seller rating for $1 plus your exorbitant shipping.
Enjoy your new eBay ID!
- tenseventyfive

and about 2 hours after a lengthy IM chat with eBay's Fraud Dept, I get this email:

Hi tenseventyfive,
rspott53 recently opened a cancel transaction case for an item you recently purchased: 1974-D Eisenhower Silver Dollar BIG IKE. We are closing the unpaid item case for this transaction and it won't be recorded on your account.

Reason for cancel transaction request: The seller says that both of you disagreed over the terms of the transaction.

Click the "Respond now" button to accept or decline this cancellation.

well, what do you know? sometimes the good guys win... be careful people!

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
tenseventyfive,

I'm sorry I tend to agree with the lister, rspott53. It looks like you were either ignorant or looking for trouble. There never was a silver ike with a mintmark of D ever minted. Doing research before hand would have kept you from bidding on it. If someone was silly enough to bid thinking it was silver then they are silly enough to buy it.

Many times tellers think these are silver dollars as well. Are they at fault as well? Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps I should see the listing first, but I don't see harm in that.

~phrostie

OP
OP
tenseventyfive

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
interesting - Im not sure what got deleted from your post but I can assure you I wasnt looking to mess with anyone, or I could spend all day reporting these guys - youre talking about mintmarks and whatnot but like a lot of people here, Im a treasure hunter, not a numistmatist - I definately SHOULD have done more research and now I stick with what I know, like franks, walkers, peace and morgans, but I was attempting to branch out. The point of all this was more that there are shady folk advertising something that clearly is NOT what theyre selling - while common parlance may be "silver dollar" you just cant advertise a precious metal as such when its not - again, not my opinion, or a moral standing, but a legal fact.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
It was the word i g n o r a n t.

You're right, there are shady folks that sell stuff on ebay, be careful. You would be surprised the number of folks I run into and think that Ikes are actually worth something...the clad ones, that is.

Good luck and glad it worked out for you.

HH,

~phrostie

OP
OP
tenseventyfive

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
How odd that it would delete "ig norant" when it was perfectly applicable to me in that case... too much nanny-stating going on, I guess

anyhow I thought the story was interesting (clearly ig there too, lol) as a cautionary tale

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I see this often. People put Ikes up as silver, and wehn I ask them if they are silver they say no, but leave them on the boards as silver.

Sucks that they are so bold in their lies. BUt it is rampant.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
jrf30 said:
I see this often. People put Ikes up as silver, and wehn I ask them if they are silver they say no, but leave them on the boards as silver.

Sucks that they are so bold in their lies. BUt it is rampant.
Well, they're half right......they 'aint PINK dallars!

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
I think it is an obvious case of trying to deceive the buyer when a seller uses the word "silver" to describe a "clad" coin. Greed runs both ways though. If a seller posted a true silver dollar as clad and you purchased it for 99 cents (wouldn't happen, I know) would you speak up and tell the seller he should cancel the transaction because the value of the coin was much higher?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL! - lots of ya obviously aren't childrens of the '70's.....Ikes have ALWAYS been referred to as "silver" dollars

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread