END OF LIFE

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
My youngest son and I live in a home that we built. My son bought a bulldog that he named Spawn 13 years ago. Spawn was a ball of energy untill last year .He started to go down hill. He had trouble breathing at times. in the past couple of months he would have seasures and fall over. It took several weeks to make the decision but my son finally took Spawn to the vets. He is now sleeping peacefully forever. Did you ever see a grown man cry?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss Frankn. Been there as well and it just plain heartbreaking.

F

Felinepeachy

Awwwwwww, I am so sorry you guys lost a member of your family. That is definitely one of the hardest decisions a person can ever make but it is one made out of true love.

p1401.jpg

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been there myself, Sorry about the loss of the pup. But on the otherside he will be waiting to greet ya all.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Sorry to hear about your loss. After you have your dog for several years they are a part of your
family. It is a tough decision to make, but after they pass a certain point you know in your
heart that it must be done because of the love that passes both ways between you. Our first
dog, a shepherd collie mix we had for 12 years and our last one, a black Lab we had for 14
years. You never forget them. And I think we will see them again when our time is up, so
take heart from that, my friend.

Ray

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dogs get to me like that too...everyone probably has a story if they have owned a dog, however, I was blindsided a few years ago very unexpectedly.

My wife has an aunt who had a 2 year old teacup poodle. We had visited them and "Chavito" could sit in the palm of one of my hands quite comfortably. We made friends quickly during our weekend visitation at their house. He was amazing with incredible energy and "ups". He jumped onto any thing he wanted it seemed and showed no fear at any time...all 2lbs of him, although he looked bigger because of the flowing wispy white hair. That was not typical of poodles so he must have had something else blended in back in his lineage.

Some few months later my wife got word that he had had a stroke. The aunt was going to have to put him down. Suzie begged her for a chance to nurse him back to health and was granted her wish. She made the 1000 mile round trip journey and picked Chavito up and brought him home. I had no idea what was about to happen as I had not realized that Chavito had taken my heart and wrapped razor wire around every ventricle and through every valve. Chavito arrived in his little bed. He could sit up with a slight lean to the side that still worked and despite the partial paralysis he was able to swallow without choking some soft food. He would even try to bark and be feisty at times. We were both sure that we could nurse him back to health and indeed, for a 2 week period, he steadily made progress. I would come home several times a day to check on him and he always tried to get up and greet me with a "YIP".

Then...I came home one evening and saw the look on Suzie's face before I saw Chavito and knew our extra time had run out...Chavito had another stroke and now all he could do was blink and whimper. Suzie could not take him so the task was up to me. I collected him with his bed and got in the car headed for the city animal control building. I was having a hard time driving. It was like I was in a blinding rainstorm. I had never cried like that in my entire life...gutteral, wrenching. I pulled over several times to wipe my face and compose myself. When I arrived at the building, I had hoped I was done as I could see inside there were 30 or 40 people. I picked him up in my hands and walked up to the building. As I entered the door, it hit me again...tears streaming like a river flash flooding in a desert...but no sound from me at all. The building was bustling as I walked in but became completely silent after I entered. I felt all eyes on me...the picture must have been something else. My 6'5", 300lb frame holding a little ball of fluff no bigger than a tennis ball in my hands cupped to carefully protect him...tears dripping and rolling down every surface of my face, drenching my shirt. A staff person walked up to meet me at the counter. I tried to talk but something came out akin to a pig grunting snort so I gave up after getting something out that sounded close to "stroke". She nodded and held out her hands...slowly, I gently placed him in her hands and turned to leave. It was like a funeral viewing, deathly quiet. I have no idea how I made it home and don't remember much of that day after that.

I later told myself that it was just no good to go through all that and that we should not get another dog. Say hello to "Lilly Bella" our 18 month old toy poodle when you see me next time. Suzie has to have dogs, its just in her blood.

I must be crazy. :o

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well Randy looks like you know the fealing too.
We have 2 dogs left, Gracie a 10 year old bulldog and Charles who is 12. Charles has out lived my sister and my mother both of whom had him before me. He still walks over ,about 600 yds.,to check out the 2 female dogs next store, but I can see he is slowing down too.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Frank, I lost my Best Friend on Mar 14, 2005 he was a 16 year old Daschund by the name of Bentley, Ben for short. I go out to his grave each and every day and talk with him. See a grown man cry? Yes and darned Proud of it.

HH

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Sorry for your loss.

Our dog, Katie, a poodle, is 13 now. Still pretty feisty and very affectionate. She is a member of the family and I am sure it will be hard when her time comes.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Ray S ECenFL

Stickmarsh

May 17, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur & Sovereign
Frankn, sorry to hear about your loss. I was in Walmart buying a greeting card last week, and I noticed they had a card to give someone who has lost their dog. Our pets do become a big part of our life. My dog, Jack, is a member of the family and my best friend. I don’t even want to think about what it would be like if he was not here. Stickmarsh

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a "man" that can not cry is just a male beast ,with a heart of stone -- he is not truely a man -- mankind -is really man - kind -- not man with a heart of stone.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
My youngest son and I live in a home that we built. My son bought a bulldog that he named Spawn 13 years ago. Spawn was a ball of energy untill last year .He started to go down hill. He had trouble breathing at times. in the past couple of months he would have seasures and fall over. It took several weeks to make the decision but my son finally took Spawn to the vets. He is now sleeping peacefully forever. Did you ever see a grown man cry?
yup me!! SORRY :-\

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago I bought my oldest son a bulldog, "Kiser" was full brindle, about 70 lbs, but he had a real personality and a fantastic nature...........however, I knew going in that bulldogs experienced a lot of health issues and that their life expectancy could be rather short. Kiser made it only about 9 years and he too went very fast once his health started to fail. If it wasn't for thier weakness to so many serious health issues I'd always have a bulldog, but the truth is that I simply don't want to risk losing another fantastic, loving & loyal dog before his time. I was depressed for a month when Kiser died.

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your lose Frankn, I myself have had to put 2 of mind to sleep within the last year.
One was 9 the other 10. It's one of the worst things I have had to do and the guilt I had, I use to take in strays had as many as 10 at one time, now I have one left he is now 12 and getting slow, big heart but not much body now, I'm just thankful for each day that passes I get to spend time with him. It sure does hurt though the knowing :(..I miss them all.

Miner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread