nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey that base in the pic looks like a Cobra 142 gtl. I used to be big in CB radio and still have a couple sitting around including some early ones with just letters as channels.
I used to buy and sell for many yrs and owned alot of different radios, mics, linears and so forth.
I was given permission several times to Metal Detect on some very nice old homesites from making friends on the radio.

Nova Treasure

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea it's been over 30 yrs for me. Big buddy over and out......Matt

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KKD9563 to Michigan Badger.. I think the cell phone with tweeting and sending text messages has replaced the CB for the most part.. Over.. and out :laughing7:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I still have mine mounted in my van, but it has been awhile since I have used it. I still use it on trips or when in a strange place, now in conjuction with my GPS.GPS is great, but truckers still know the best routes. rockhound

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
If I remember right , mine used to be KBIA 5091. But where I was living, none of us ever used our
call numbers. Just our 'Handle'. Mine was 'Whittler' because of my hobby of woodcarving.
This was nearly all during the 70's. When I moved back down to this area in the early 80's, it was
so crowded I quit using it. Up North you could get on almost anytime you wanted. Even the Trucker's
channel was seldom used. Lots of times at night, you could scan from one end to the other and never
hear anyone or maybe on one or two channels.
The guys I worked with and I would yak on it on the way home from work and sometimes on week-ends.

Ray

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
When i was a kid about 14, late 70's, I remember buying a set of 3-element beams. I mounted them way up on the chimney of our house. I had to get up on the roof and swing the beams manually depending on which direction I wanted to talk. Was a lot of fun, and as a kid w/a 4 watt radio I could talk for miles and miles!
We even built and designed our own base station antennas, couple dads got involved too, it was fun at the time and I still think about putting up an antenna to get my boy interested. But I can't yank him away from xbox or Wii....

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Forgot my call letters but my handle was Smoke-eater.
I still toss in my CB in my truck when I am making a long trip especially out west.
Out in Wyoming there are places where radio stations are rare. Always fun to chat with the truckers for police sightings and debris on the hwy...ect.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When growing up in the 70's all my family had CBs, and the houses had base stations. I had a CB in my Jeep for year until I finally sold it. I don't remember my dad's handle, but I remember his call sign. KAJU 7595. Back in the old days when you had to have a license to operate, and were required to use your call sign. Oh, those were good times.

LOL, I remember a buddy and mine talking to this one gal on the CB, and she sounded hot. We agreed to meet at some store. When we pulled in to the parking lot and SAW her, we pulled out fast! Turned off the CB and laughed our butts off for the next half hour.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breaker1-9 to Michigan Badger, you got Bad Company here, bring it on back....

We be West bound on I-70 to KC at mile marker 150, how is it looking over your shoulder....

Watch yourself, you got a Smokey in the trees at mile marker 131 shooting pictures....

Bad Company West bound and down...

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't talked on the CB for years , but I still have my old stuff . One of these day I'm going to rig up my Radio Room !

Attachments

• cb 002.jpg
    cb 002.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 244
  • cb 005.jpg
    cb 005.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 276

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family, except for me, has their short wave operator radios and licenses. Should we have a big disaster or shtf event, they will be the only means to communicate. No internet or cell phones will help; just ask the Egyptians. ;D

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I was surprized to stop by and see the great response to this thread! Great!

In the 70's my handle was "Treasure Hunter" (no kidding). I lived at that time in the Grand Haven, Michigan. Prior to that I lived in Spring Lake, Michigan, and used a Heath Kit walkie talkie to bug the big base stations in my area with "Break! Break!" ;D

Back in 1960 (age 12) while out on Petty's Bayou (fishing in my ice shanty) I contacted a kid who lived some 6 miles away. That was using my 100 MW walkie!

Ha, great old memories.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
My family, except for me, has their short wave operator radios and licenses. Should we have a big disaster or shtf event, they will be the only means to communicate. No internet or cell phones will help; just ask the Egyptians. ;D

Yeah, I think Nefertiri's handle was Pink Sphinx. "Breaker 19 this is the Pink Sphinx stopping fr 10-66 at a choke-n-puke." HAHAHA

Best-Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Back in 1960 (age 12) while out on Petty's Bayou (fishing in my ice shanty) I contacted a kid who lived some 6 miles away. That was using my 100 MW walkie!

Ha, great old memories.

LOL, we are the same age, born in 1948..........Baby Boomers..... :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to have one in my Vehicle.

Still have it in the garage.

a Peaked out 40 Channel Midland Power-Max
& 58" K40 Antenne

Needs a New Mike for sure.
& Antenne checked.
cable may have gotten Pinched.

Used to have a CB Repair
at the I-81 truck stop, in Pine Grove,
where I Got it Maxed Out. but
these days no where to take it
around here.

78 May still Have one :dontknow:

Never had Call letters,
just went by the Handle "Nugent"

Last edited:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
My skip handle was; unit 38/24/36 Nurse's aide outta Winnipeg Manitoba. My real handle was Dumb dago, ch. 21 downriver michigan..... When I did bodywork at a VW dealer, I went by the handle of beetle- Bopper....NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread