NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I just found this bit of information from the " Kovels " site.

GPS in newer cameras
A reader warns that many new cameras and smartphones have GPS capability. When you post a picture from one of these devices on the internet in places like Facebook, Craigslist, etc., the picture carries with it coded information about the location where the picture was taken. That means anyone can learn where your Tiffany lamp or cabinet filled with silver is located. It puts your collection and you at risk. To learn more, search for the term “geotagging." NGE :o

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if true i'm glad my camera is almost 10 years old. i'll make sure i continue to buy old out of date camera stuff for internet posting.

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as the GPS is disabled (there is an option on all phones to disable gps fingerprints) theres nothing to worry about.......most people dont know about EXIF data and to be honest if someone is that tech savvy that they know how to extract EXIF data from pictures they most likely are too glued to their computer to come out of the house :P.....but a very good point made here....DISABLE GPS FINGERPRINTS!!!!!!

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
I still use a bag phone and I don't think it has GPS and it doesn't have a camera.

I have been thinking of upgrading because it kills my hip and makes my back ache(not to mention how many belts I've went through), but I'm sort of tight with my money and figure if it ain't broke why fix it.

I will keep this info in mind though, thanks for sharing it.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello NGE Did you notice on the evening news yesterday about that teen that got shot some where
down in the Detroit area. He was selling some item on Craigslist and gave the buyer his address. When
the buyer got there, the kid went out to talk to him and the buyer shot him and stole the item and
took off. I didn't catch what the item was but the reporter said the value was less than $100.00.
It was a fatal shot. It was on channel 4.

Ray

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I am still using a 35mm film camera. It has no batteries and is always ready to shoot whenever I am. I can get almost any picture I want within a couple minutes. Although it is all manually operated, I can adjust the lens in a flash and once cranked, I am ready to shoot. No GPS, no date stamp,no way to trace anything. I have the film developed in about one hour and it costs me less than what ink I would use in my printer. And the pics are great. Happy hunting. rockhound

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Saw that on the news this a.m. Ray, I think they said it was for a cell phone. That would be 1st. degree murder if they find the perpetrator......NGE

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phones have had a GPS since at least 2007. And, you don't get to turn it off, no matter what buttons you push.

Someone told me that, and I told them they were nuts.

I was wrong.

The scene is a little old town in New Mexico. We stopped for gas, and there was a bullrider guy there that I just had to talk to (well know PBR guy).

As I'm looking for a pen to get an autograph, we here a huge "bang" An older gentleman had crashed into the guard rails. His airbag deployed, and he was having trouble getting out. His trailer was hung up on the guardrail, wheel off the ground, hung up.

I want to call 911. Geesh, no signal and battery is dead. I remembered what that person told me. I dialed 911. A police dispatcher comes on the line. I tell him what is happening and he asks me where I am --- you know - I'm not sure what "town" this is supposed to be. I told this to the officer. He says "may I have your permission to pinpoint your location?" I'm a tad confused, but say yes. He comes right back on and tells me EXACTLY where I am, by my old phone's gps. Then he says he'll have someone there right away. (which they did).

If they can pinpoint my location in a minute from a cell phone with a dead battery and no signal - I think its a moot point. It's been happening
for quite awhile. (then I had to apologize to my friend that I called a conspiracy nut).

Beth

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Whew...Sure glad I never owned or will own a cell phone :tongue3:.......NGE

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NGE,

It sure was a wake-up call for me. I only carry a cellphone when I'm traveling - just in case I need help. I hate phones, and all I want my phone to do is make a phone call.

What bugged me the most, at the time (and now), is that there was something there to track me without me ever knowing - until that day, I thought my friend was just being paranoid. And now, I wonder why it was on my phone without me ever knowing. Nothing in the phone menu said I had it, or could use it, or turn it off - I mean, it was an old phone. :dontknow:

B

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
To all the relic hunters and finders, Just think.....If an archy knew how to work a computer, they could find you and "their" discoveries. scarey thought, huh?........NGE

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• what can we do.jpg
    what can we do.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 460

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
I don't really mind if anybody knows where I'm at all the time because I have nothing to hide. I think it could actually be a good thing in some cases.

For example: Now a days all kids seem to have cell phones, so if one were abducted the police would have a greater chance of recovering them safely.

Or if a person were in an accident and could not speak the location, or if an adult were in the situation mentioned above.

Now of course I'm not saying I would have a permanent tracking device injected in my body, but a cell phone don't bother me.

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a huge difference between enhanced 911 cellphone GPS extraction/triangulation and encoded EXIF data saved on cellphone media.......two completely separate functions.......

SilverGoldBuyers

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2011
To remove the GPS data you can use:

ExifTool - http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

or

Xnview http://www.xnview.com/en/download.html - go to 'save as' and uncheck the 'keep exif data' and the new file will not have the gps data located in exif.

:read2:

notgittinenny said:
I just found this bit of information from the " Kovels " site.

GPS in newer cameras
A reader warns that many new cameras and smartphones have GPS capability. When you post a picture from one of these devices on the internet in places like Facebook, Craigslist, etc., the picture carries with it coded information about the location where the picture was taken. That means anyone can learn where your Tiffany lamp or cabinet filled with silver is located. It puts your collection and you at risk. To learn more, search for the term “geotagging." NGE :o

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SGB,

:dontknow: :dontknow:

What and how do you actually do that?? I'm a film camera person, I have digitals, but how do you get THAT stuff you posted into your camera?

Or do you just do it to your pictures.

B

S

Smee

....... or, while looking at the picture on your computer, press the "PRTSC" (print screen) key while holding down the shift key. This will copy the image on your screen WITHOUT ANY EXIF INFORMATION.

Open your photo program and choose to "paste as new image" or its equivalent. Save THAT file, and post THAT picture instead.

No info available to the person who views it online except that you created the photograph in whichever program you were running . . . along with every scrap of personal info you were willing to give to Bill Gates when you registered your computer-----

Sleep well, no one is checking up on you.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, now I will have to try that. (I take it there is no way for existing pics).

Since you seem to know how to do this stuff, how do you stop those "tags", I call them, from following your email around? How do you remove them. McAfee doesn't catch them, either does anything else I've tried.

I send a pic to someone (or sometimes them to me) and it comes with wierd other pictures and info that I didn't put on.

I've been taking everything off by the "cut" method before I send emails - but, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I only have that with the yahoo mail account.

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread