Need a little help making a grocery list please?

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
A few times a year my wife and I travel to a grocery called Save-A-Lot that is a a good ways away from home, but we save so much money it is worthwhile (the 100 bucks spent at the local market will get us about 250 bucks worth at Save-A-Lot) and we stock up on everything.

The problem is my wife isn't home right now and wont be home until late and I wanted to have a good list started for tomorrow morning but now I'm stuck.

So far I've got:

Pickles
String cheese sticks
Meats
Breads
Hamburger/tuna helper
Noodles
Soups
Crackers
Frozen veggies
Rice
Potato's

With the economy down and groceries going up everyday I was wondering what type of inexpensive foods the bargain shoppers here like to stock up on?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You going to Hillsdale, Mi. I been to that store every now and then also. I stock up on noodles, soups, crackers, veggies then shop at WalMart with other stores flyers as they will honor those ads. I use kroger ad a lot as they have good buys every week....Matt

OP
OP
WindHarvester

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
No Matt, Hillsdale, Mi is way to far for us because we are down here in the Southeastern part of Ohio.

We usually go up to New Lexington in Perry County or Zanesville in Muskingum County.

Great tips for my list, always things we like to grab but tonight I'm just not with it.

Thank you!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know your cooking, or eating habits, but I do have an idea for you. Stick with the staples to begin with and make a meal from there. Products like frozen veggies are best, sometimes the canned food is cheaper. Just rinse it well before cooking to remove excess salt.

Staples
1- Rice
2- Potatoes
3- Veggies
4- Meat

With rice you can make almost anything Spanish, Portuguese, Indian, Middle & Far Eastern. I was never a big rice eater, but I have come to appreciate it as a staple by cooking every nationality within a 2 month span. A 20 pound bag of rice will last several months, so give it a try.

OP
OP
WindHarvester

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Thanks Spart,

You reminded me of 2 things we are low on and they are rice and potato's, cheap, good and easy.

I really appreciate it.

Keep the ideas coming folks.

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
butter or margarine, peanut butter and jellies, flour, sugar, salt, salsa, water or other drinks.

If you or the wife bakes, chocolate chips, brown sugar (light and dark) confectioners sugar

The flours should be general purpose unbleached, whole wheat, and probably a self rising flour as well.

Eggs! Can't bake without eggs or egg substitute.

Olive oil. Ultra Virgin (large bottle).

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya forgot COFFEE!!!!!!! Gotta have coffee! Can't survive without coffee........

I get the big 3 lb tubs of butter & divvy it up in regular sized tubs for the freezer.
Macaroni & cheese by the case.
tuna, goes in mac& cheese or drained real good on a salad.
TP & paper towels.
Ramen noodles by the case, amazing how many recipies they fit in.
Iced tea mix. (makes 6 gallon size)
And howz about a sack of sliced pepperoni to go with those string cheeze sticks?

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a "Grocery List" I picked up @ Albertson's eons ago. I've been printing copies of it and have 1 on the side of the frig to check off what I need. Grab it and head to the store. I revamped the listing and have it stored on my computer, if you would like a copy to help you let me know and I will forward a copy to ya. As an example it's divided by Fruits (listing apples, bananas etc...just put a check mark on whatever fruit you need to get. This goes the same for Vegs, Staples, Meats, Dairy, Beverages, Misc, Bakery & Snacks. Misc contains light bulbs, soap, pet food, etc. :sign13:

OP
OP
WindHarvester

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Thank you all so much for the help in making our list, it really did help.

The only thing I forgot was Tuna, and the bread was high and I can get two loves for the price of one at the local market.

Well the trunk was filled and now the stand up freezer is filled and the pantry is filled, we spent $233.25 and it should last a few months(family of 4). Had we spent the same amount at the market or krogers here in town we would have probably gotten less than 1/3rd of what we did.

Thanks again everybody!

P.S. Packer, the only way I would buy spam is if I was starving or needed to start a fire while camping. :wink:

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
I've got 4 here and my other kids and family come over a bit too .Another thing we go thru is toilet paper but with 4 there your probably always reminded . Costco is the way to go here where I'm at . :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
WindHarvester

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
packerbacker said:
I also go to Costco......and get Spam! ;D
That stuff is good, pan fried with fresh ranch eggs. Mmmmmmmmmm......mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

My father loves it fried. Myself I can't get past the smell when I open the can, It kind of reminds me of the odor that I smell when I first open a can of moist cat or dog food.

F

Felinepeachy

CATFOOD!!
anna-horosho_01.gif

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Grandma used to say if you had eggs, milk and bread you could live off of it ;D Don't know what to tell you as everyone has differences of opinions. It's up to what you like to eat??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread