Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mouse. We saw a single mouse scoot under the furniture. I went to Home Depot and bought:

Four plastic spring loaded traps, the ones where the mouse sticks it's head in gets spun around and you kill it and never have to see it's little lifeless body. Zero, nadda zip.
Score 0-4

Also Eight of the sticky pads to keep the mouse from getting away. Score 1 mouse. Notice I sai mouse, not a dead mouse. Had to do that part myself.
Score 1-7

Saw another mouse. Back to the store and got eight of the oldtimey spring traps. Loaded 'em up with a nice Cheddar and set them near the other two kinds.
Score 6-2

Total 7 mice trapped with 6 on the old spring type. The surely work.

We used to have house cats so mice were never a problem. Well except for that one cat, when I picked up a board outside that had an entire family of mice underneath. Like a dozen or so. I held the stupid cat and pointed it at the nest and he totally zoned out. Went stiff as a board and was trembling. Either too excited or too scared, don't know. :)
BB

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A dab of peanut butter will attract better with the smell and last a lot longer than cheese. I prefer the old style traps as well. There is a reason that they are still around

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a cat that when the mice are slim, he goes out and whacks full size rabbits. I saw him pull a bird out of the sky. He left 11 feet and snatched it out of the air. What an acrobat.

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
I have pack rats peanut butter works great for most rodents.

I don't use poisons have dogs, cats, and many raptors.

I bought some of those 90 degree spring bar traps, they work great.

Killed over 60 pack rats in a year ( they breed fast ).

Place bars of Ivory soap around also watch for them
Chewing the bars, makes them sick after eating.

They won't stay in the area after a few feedings on soap.

The tomcat "steel cat" also works but you have to poison
Bait so they die in in the trap.

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ah, packrats.

Find an area they spend a lot of time in, place a cup of D-Con there ... and within a few inches place a larger cup or small bowl of anti-freeze.

Who can say no to free food and drink?

Instant packrat party stop. Most popular place around until it goes to work.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't believe in poison because I don't know where it goes once the mouse is dispatched.
I believe in quick kill not just for those we hunt for food but for those we need to kill for our own protection.
Mice can be deadly where I live. They carry plague and the junta virus.

The most seemly cruel device I saw was the sticky pad. the mouse doesn't die right away but is stuck on a pad while the mouse goes through terror. A person doesn't have to be some tree hugger to see the lack of conscience with these devices.

Some might say they don't care about the mouse. Other's will say it's all sacred.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions