Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Imagine there will Be Those who have Problems With This

SINKING SPRING, Pa. (AP) -- Dozens of birds found dead along highway over the weekend apparently were killed with a poison that's legal for farmers to use, state game officials said.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission said Monday that tests showed the birds were killed by Starlicide. It is federally licensed poison designed to kill European starlings and gulls, and is less toxic to most other birds.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PA_DEAD_BIRDS_PAOL-?SITE=PAPOE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess that works better than the cannons & motion activated whirlybirds etc. which they get used to after a time.

Starlings, Sea Gulls, Pidgeons? Nothing but rats with wings! The only way they'd be useful is plowed under for fertilizer ;D

OK greenies & PETA tear me a new one!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used Starlicide for years and it is very efficient,against these invasive non-native birds that cause millions of dollars in damage every year.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starlings do more damage to cattle feed than any other rodent

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff I have a problem with the precision targeted bird poisonings. We've had the same thing in Colorado but different birds.

Never hear of additional wildlife deaths from eating the dead birds or sickness of any other animals. Poisons get into the entire food chain of the area poisoned. There should be a lot of other animal deaths in the area after the event.

So call me paranoid but I don't believe it. Bird kills have happened worldwide. And there is certainly enough real evidence of large aircraft spraying some type of chemicals in our air.

It's like crop circles. There are thousands of them but all are seen as crap because a couple of guys in England showed how they faked one. Many people like to believe the easiest answer.

Remember Swamp Gas and Weather Balloons, etc. It was all crap to disguise real events happening so that we, you and me and everyone else, wouldn't get confused or scared to death.

The Military-Industrial-Complex that Ike warned us about is here. We are witnessing it in action. And there doesn't seem to be anything we can do to uncover the truth. And that's a fact.
BB

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,you are incorrect,Starlicide is an anticoagulant that has no secondary toxicity,as do all toxicants used in wildlife and bird control.Trust me the use of any toxicant is heavily regulated and approved,along with stringent training and education renewal programs

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are a few more selected poisonings. Doves? Why??
BB

"Thousands of dead turtle doves, many of which had a “strange” blue stain inside their beaks, have crashed from the sky in Italy. They’re the latest in a puzzling spate of birds, fish and other animals dying under mysterious circumstances around the world. Initial testing of about 8,000 of the doves indicate the blue beak stain might be from lack of oxygen or poisoning. More conclusive test results may be available next week.

Italy’s dead doves come not long after 2 million dead fish washed ashore along Maryland’s Chesapeake Bay — and just days after up to 5,000 blackbirds fell out of the sky in a one-mile area near Beebe, Ark., and thousands of drum fish turned up dead along a stretch of an Arkansas river.

Other animal die-offs in the past two weeks include reports of 40,000 dead crabs washing ashore near Kent, England, hundreds of snapper fish dead in New Zealand, 150 tons of red tilapia dead in Vietnam, 500 jackdaws crashing to their death in Sweden, more than 450 birds falling onto a Louisiana highway and a mass of dead fish in a Florida creek.

The forestry commission have picked up more than 1,000 turtle doves as well as other birds including pigeons Photo: WWF"

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,the Blue stain almost sounds like misused ground squirrel poisoning.Its not Starlicide.Also all of these deaths are not attributed to poison,some may be,as poison is poison and in the wrong hands or misused is serious.
I will tell you the more people vote for things they have no clue about,other than what lies they have been fed and base there decisions from emotion like the banning of the leghold trap,the more of this kind of thing will be seen.When methods are taken away from people who need them to protect there livelihoods,barbaric actions are what they seem to resort too.Antifreeze injected meat,the use of strychnine(misuse)glass shards in meat etc. etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlicide

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way back when..... We used to feed Alka Seltzer to the sea gulls with chunks of anchovey. Their gullets would explode and the blue sharks would clean up the rest. Was about as green as you could get. Then the greenies got wind of it & California decided they could make a buck off the practice. Big fine (of course) and jail which usually got plea bargained down to nothing.

So what do you propose? Let the starlings run amok until some get sucked up by a jet & people die? Or some farmer who's barely making it loses 3/4 of his crop to them? You ever see the result of a couple starlings going through the engine of an A4? Amazing the damage a couple of poor little cute birds can do, not mention a pilot losing his life.

You mention Colorado, How about Denver poisoning the hoards of pigeons down town until the greenies got involved, then they tried everything from sticky goo to plastic spikes at the cost of thousands. Not to mention the cleanup of the droppings etc. Yet the pigeons still flourish.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn Jeff, you just untangled my whole Maya 2012 scenario. Now I have to start over. (Just injecting a little levity folks, there are some strange things out there.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread